Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 80 chevy 1 ton, 400th trans after plowing for 2 days now have a question, the truck drives fine and shifts ok but something happened to shift linkage , stays in park , ok in reverse, but when i put it in drive,it will shiift thru all the gears like it should, but i cant down shift manually,shifter just goes to 1st with out pulling lever to me? already checked the adjusting nut on the bottom of linkage it is tight!! any ideas?? thanks Campi !!!! hope every one made out al right plowing!!! :cash

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
Not quite sure I understand your problem here.

Is the shifter not staying in D,and just drops to low by itself ? or it's not hitting the D detent ? Maybe the detents are worn.

A little more info,or a better description would help.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
transmission

Chris, thanks for the fast reply!! i did not explain it right . it does stay in drive, and shifts ok, only thing i can drop it into 1st manually still remains in drive, it will up shift and down shift ok just cant do it manually, will this hurt any thing?? where is this detent you are talking about?? could i fix this my self, tanks again Campi!!!!(joe) i hope i explained it a little better!!

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
So when you manually select low (L) gear,it still upshifts like it was in drive ?

If you select L at too high a speed,it will not downshift until you slow down.

Are you sure the manual linkage is correctly adjusted,and moving the transmission lever into low gear ? Maybe it's siezed,or binding,and not going into low.This is common on older trucks when the shift linkage gets worn.Check this first.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
transmission

thanks, wyldman, i have to get under truck and ck every thing just a little to cold to lay in snow , ck tommorow, but as long as its shifting ok , wont hurt any thing???? thanks Campi !!!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
transmission

wyldman, checked out linkage, you were right, alittle sloppy,but i could not ajust it ! bottom of linkage where the adjusting nut and threads are rusty, wire brushed, and soaked them with nut buster , will try and adjust, if i can turn nut , if not, i will take whole linkage off, try that, Thanks Campi !!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts