Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1988 Gmc 2500 6.2 diesel. After driving from the last driveway :D I had to plow for this storm, my transmision would not shift into third? Then when I reached my shop it finally broke it would not go anywhere. I left it for a few hours and then came back, and it ran good for about five minutes and the stopped working again. I just want to know if anyone has ever had this problem and fixed it with something easy, rather than just letting my trannsmission guy tell me that I need a new tranmission. Thanx

·
Registered
866 Posts
Did you check your fluid? Is it burned or low? The other thing that comes to mind is voltage- if you drop below a certain voltage then the tranny will not shift- I do not remember what that volatage is off hand.

Wyldman- anything else? I know there is tons that could be wrong, but these jump right out at me.

Bill

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I'd change the fluid and prob install a temp gague in the tranny so you can monitor the temp to make sure ya dont burn the fluid again...

·
Registered
866 Posts
How many miles are on your tranny alltogether? If it has high miles you might want to take it to a shop or swap out with a new reman one- IMO. Chnaging the fluid in an older high mileage unit would only be a temporary fix if it helped at all. You might have buildup in the valve body, a pump seal gone, or even a cracked pump/case- which would only show up when the tranny temp was warmer. Good luck, and let us know how you make out.

Bill

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
140,000 miles on the truck, this truck either has a trailer or a plow on it, I think I am just going to have it rebuilt so I am safe in the future, I am hoping I can get it done for 1500$ or less, that is what I made w/ the truck this storm. Thanks for the input

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Sounds to me like the tranny fluid pump is on its way out, then u have to take the tranny out and replace and at that point you might as well rebuild it or get a new one. and intall a tranny cooler

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
at 140000 you are probaly better off having it rebuilt... its about due...

·
Registered
866 Posts
If you can do your own work- check out Advance Auto- the one in my neighborhood quoted me $950 for a rebuilt 700R4- with an unlimited mileage, 12 or 18 month(can't remember) warranty. They can get them in a day, so if you order it ad then pull your old one you could bring it in when you pick it up to avoid the core charge. For the warranty it might be worth it- not too many tranny shops give that kind of warranty for that price. Just an option. I also agree on the tranny cooler and Temp gauge if it doesn't have one yet- well worth the investment. If you have it rebuilt- see what an extra capacity pan would cost you- there are some with fins or tubes to help disapate heat better, but running the extra fluid will help there too.

Good luck!

Bill

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
$950's not to bad of a price that and it would probaly be quicker if ya can do it yourself than trying to get into a shop....

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't have a lift to do it myself, so I am going to get someone to install it, hopefully the snow holds off untill its fixed

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
cnypropertysvcs said:
Hey Adams- hope you don't have any problems- I know how you guys are getting hammered down there!!!!!

LOL!!:burnout

Bill:grinz
LOL hammered with sunshine thats about it... at this rate my plows gonna rust to pieces before we get any now... looks like i'll just have to come up there and take your snow bill...:burnout

·
Registered
866 Posts
Adams Plowing said:
LOL hammered with sunshine thats about it... at this rate my plows gonna rust to pieces before we get any now... looks like i'll just have to come up there and take your snow bill...:burnout
Hey- don't you have a lawn to mow right now!!!

LMAO- we need some snow- we are having entirely too much fun picking on each other here!!!

Once again-

Hi, My name is Bill and I'm addicted to this site and snowplowing!!!

LOL!

Bill:burnout

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
cnypropertysvcs said:
Hey- don't you have a lawn to mow right now!!!

LMAO- we need some snow- we are having entirely too much fun picking on each other here!!!

Once again-

Hi, My name is Bill and I'm addicted to this site and snowplowing!!!

LOL!

Bill:burnout
Hi Bill! My name is Seth and Im A Snowplowaholic!! :D

the First step is admission... whats the next one suppost to be?lol

·
Registered
445 Posts
LOL Seth, the second step is to find some snow to plow

·
Registered
66 Posts
I paid 3500 CND for a GM tranny (4L80E) installed. 60,000 km 3 year warranty. I wish I could of got it done for 1,000. GM was the most expensive, however best warranty. The lowest price was 2500.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts