Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a good trans shop to send a 700r out to for beefing and rebuild, my close family has 12 4x4 700r trans all near or over 100k 3 with plows. So I would like to get the spare I have rebuilt and beefed at the same time and I am not afraid of the $$$ if it is a good rebuild the trucks are any thing from a s10 blazer with a 4.3 to a 3/4 gmc with a hot 454 that plows and pulls a 5th wheel with a track hoe. and I want the trans for the 4.3 just as strong as the 454. my family is chipping in for the "spare trans"

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
The truck with the 454 will not have the 700r in it. I would not build it up for a spare. If everyone is chipping in then put the money in a fund and get a certa unit from the dealer when you need one. It will have all the updates and come with a warranty.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
if money isnt really an option I would go for a different trans. a 4l80e can be had with all the stand alone wiring and brain box all built up. a 700 can be built plenty stout yes but might as well start with something better to begin with especially if you are talking about a hot 454 and a track hoe

bowtieoverdrives used to be good from what I remember as was jet but I havent looked into the stuff in awhile.

BTW if you take in a 700 with a burnt OD and its in a bigblock truck with a track hoe attached to it I'm thinking the GM man is going to laugh at you for wanting warrantee work(unless he is pretty cool)

And BTW, towing in OD especially with a 700 is not a good idea. I've nuked a 80k unit because the freeway gears and the 33" swampers were too much(it was an old design though......)

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The 454 is a transplant former home to a 350 and od is only when empty I have seen 700's built tough and want one on hand I want an improved trans not a stock replacement

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Staley,the problem is the valve body for each 700R4 needs to be tuned for the engine in front of it.So the trans can fit any of the,the vavle body,and shift points cannot be perfect for all of them. The 4.3 trucks need almost 1000 more RPm on WOT shifts to get maximum performance and passign power,whiel the 454's and 350s need to upshift sooner,and hold the higher gears longer before kicking down. You can defintely do it,but you will never get the most out of the engine in front of it til its tuned right. I love the 700r4 for plowing myself,it isnt the best towing trans though OD isnt so strong,but it can be made much stronger with some mods.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
tuning is the problem the local shops build good stock trannys end of story, so that is why I want to find a shop to build one to have on hand instead of one failing taking it out shipping it and waiting for a round trip to the other end of the country and if they say only use this trans behind v8s not v6 ok but I want to find a shop to make this tranny better

1 - 7 of 7 Posts