Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last winter one time when i was plowing(pushing back some piles) all of a sudden i had trans fluid pouring out on the ground.I stopped plowing right away and turned my truck off.After about a half hour i filled the fluid and drove away without any problems.The garage told me the tranny may have just become overheated from plowing and not to worry.Well a couple weeks later it happened again..This time he said lets change the trans fluid and clean the screens.Everything seemed good.Just today after about 5 hours of plowing it happend again! It only drained about a half quart of fluid.Is there something else that could be causing this? the truck was set up for plowing before i bought it has a trans cooler(not sure how old it is) truck is a 1990 ford f250

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
Where is it leaking from ? That would be the first step in determining what the problem is.If it's leaking out the vent at the top,or foaming out the dipstick,then it may be overheating or it's overfilled (wrong dipstick maybe ?).

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its leaking from underneath the truck on the tranny itself.If i remember correctly the shop i took it to said it was the relief drain and if the tranny overheated its common for the fluid to pour out of it.It never happes all summer while i pull a landscape trailer just seems to happen when im plowing somewhat heavy snow.:confused:

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
There is no relief drain,just a vent.The fluid would have to be pretty hot,or foaming to come out of there.The trans fluid being overfull may cause this as well.

I would verify you have the correct trans dipstick,and that that trans fluid is not overfull.Check it hot,and it should be just at the full mark.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks.... i will have to look into it.the problem just started happening last winter.. only seems to happen when im really pushing the truck.(pushing back heavy piles)it doesnt look like its foaming when it drips onto the road but i did notice last night after it happend that it seemed to be foamy on the dipstick.

·
Registered
324 Posts
we had a ford bronco that used to do the same thing and a friiend of mine has a f350 that will puke it's fluid and hard pushing, never tried it i am wondering if an electric fan running over the cooler might keep tampatures at a better level, we have had chevys dodges and fords to plow with and the fords are the only one's we have seen trouble with

·
Registered
217 Posts
Towman , you must not have had a 90 Chevy 2500 hd, as I did,
GM had a campain / bulletin on the trannys Because the fluid was blowing out the dipstick and on to the exauhast manifolds causing fires.

They sent out new lock sealing dipsticks that are now standard equipment.

I've never had a fluid blow out on my C-6 in my Ford, but a buddy does every know and then .

I belive his leaks from the front pump seal when it geta really hot.
Its done this twice and no other problems.

He's running a f350 dually 460 c-6 sander and 9ft fisher with only 3.55's in the rear .

I think the gear ratio is the problem along with the weight.

I'm running 4.10's no sander just about 1500 lbs ballest.

jt5019
Check to see if it's leaking out of the bellhousing area.

·
Registered
8,442 Posts
I would venture to say its a early e4od trans and in fact it is blowing out of the vent because in fact it is overheating make sure the cooler is big enough for the truck and second if you have a button on the dash to kill od then when plowing keep it in the off postion to try and keep forward clutches from getting so hot , just a tip before you end up gernading the tranny.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks pickering, i am pretty sure it is the e4od transmission.I do have a button on the dash to kill the od but never thought of shutting it off while plowing,i will now.Dont know if its related but the radiator fluid hasnt been changed in a while maybe that would help too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What were the snow conditions like?

Just my 2 cents worth here.
(1)
Do you have a auxillary tranny oil cooler installed?
(2)
Were you pushing light fluffy snow that was blowing over the mold board?
(3)
Were you doing alot of reverseing with short forward runs?
If you do not have a auxillary cooler for the tranny I would invest in one. Mount it high enough so when running with the plow up the cooler will catch air.
If you do have a tranny cooler but you had alot of blow over, the snow might of froze over and iced up the cooler-blocking the air flow.
If you were reversing alot with little forward movement, or stuck and over revving.
All of these could be conditions for overheating the tranny.
Just my 2cents worth.
Regards
JJ Donovan

·
Registered
224 Posts
Just to confirm

exactly the same problem. it was last year. i have since changed all the fluid (16qts!) and no problems yet this year. i am going to install a tranny temp gauge to hopefully avoid this in the future.

93 f350 460 e4od factory tranny cooler

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Im pretty sure the truck has a trans cooler already on it. When i bought it, it was already used by a construction company for plowing and sanding.Maybe the trans cooler isnt working right? im not that mechanicly inclined .Would old radiator fluid effect it in anyway?I never had a problem with the engine overhheating.I hate to put a ton of money into because in the summer it is being replaced for a new dump truck. As i said before the only time it ever happens is pushing heavy or wet snow.

·
Registered
224 Posts
with out investing any time or money i would consider using low range to help keep the tranny temp lower when plowing in these conditions.

obviously make sure your fluid level is correct. you could plumb in another cooler for short money.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts