Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, i am trying to find a source for a heater to outfit a John Deer 726 tractor for use plowing side walks. We have it outfitte with a plow, salt spreader, and cab but want to add a 12 v heater, not so much for heat but for windshield defrosting. Any thoughts? Trying to keep it under about 12 amps, i know it won't heat much but just trying to keep the windsheild clear.
Thanks.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The tractor has a water cooled engine, and JD does make a heater that works off the radiator. The problem is where it would need to be located is restrictive to the leg room and also does not address defrosting of the windshield. My amp calc is based on a 30 amp alternator, with a 7 amp salt spreader, and the lights on the tractor. I can add an additional alternator but if i can get by with out doing that i'd prefer not to. Again this is not so much to keep the cab warm but just to keep the windshield clear. There are several 12v heaters i have found online but the reviews are not so good.

·
Registered
466 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
You are definitely going to want to use the hot water from the engine...

Electric heaters don't put out enough heat, especially with your current/amp limit. A 12v heater limited to 12 amps = 144 watts, compare that to a space heater in a house which is 1500 watts on high, 750 watts on low.

The way to keep the windows clear is to get it warm enough in the cab to dry it out, thus eliminating the condensation.

·
Registered
466 Posts
They have 12 volt models,thats what mine was.I'm pretty sure the amp draw wasnt much,plus its thermostatic controled,so it cycled off and on.
It worked great on the boat in the winter.I think mine came with a 12v to 120v inverter,it was very tiny,about the size of a bar of soap

http://www.seaclearllc.com/seaclear_indutries,_llc_030.htm

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the thoughts, i can increase the available amps to 40 total. There are several 12 v heaters on the web, but seem pretty crappy, judging by the reviews. Wooden shoe, not sure if just keeping the cab warm/dry will keep all fogging etc under control. From past experience getting back into my warm dry truck after doing hand work i still get fogging from my wet coat etc.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
I have not. They are really common on boats and it is also what is used in Tucker Sno-cats.

I can get you a contact at Tucker if you need it.

They mainly go by the name Red Dot heaters if you want to google some..

·
Registered
401 Posts
Chuck,

Have you ever dealt with them or one of their dealers or do you know of anyplace that deals them online? All of the dealers that they list all appear to be end users ie Thermo King......
The Reddots are good units, but the key to them is to make sure that the install is done right and the roof is SEALED, or you will be wearing a umbrella to keep dry. They're nice because they just use the engine coolant to provide heat, just make sure that your lines are well insulated.

Actually Thermo King isn't the end user on these products, they are a true dealer and sell them and install them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts