Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you guy’s sub contract for a city or town? We have been approached by one town to do some schools, public buildings, and street work. I was wondering what the going rates are. Also, are there any hoops you have to jump through to get approved to do work for them? Is working for a city or town worth it?

Thanks,

Bruce :usa

·
Registered
175 Posts
My friend plows for the town with his mason dump that has a 9' fisher plow. He tells me he gets $85 an hour, but the insurance required by the town is quite a bit.

Not sure what other towns are paying, we're also down here in Greenwich, CT.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Do you have any employees? If you do, are you required to pay prevailing wage? (I don't know if this even exists in your State) I have no first hand experience plowing for a municipality, but have heard that profit margins are very slim.

·
LetsTalkSnow.com - Moderator
4,902 Posts
I have one truck working for a local municipality. It's on an hourly rate, I'd make more if I were to put it to work on my own commercial accounts, but the work it does is easy and I don't have to worry about my driver getting in trouble. Even if he does, he calls the Town mechanic on the radio, they send a truck to pull him out. This hasn't happened yet, but is available if needed.

I can forget about that truck and pay attention to my other accounts, plus the money is guaranteed, although it can take up to 6 weeks before the bill is processed. The town I work for requires $2,000,000 liability, which costs about $300 more a year for me over a standard policy.

Another perk, we are often held on standby during a lengthy storm, the truck is on the clock while idling with driver. Minimal expenses at this point and the clock rolls on..... You won't get rich, but it covers the truck's and driver's expenses for the season.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have a couple trucks that go out for the city at an hourly rate.I think its better having the trucks out making money rather than sitting during the storm.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I am presently running a JD 710 TLB for an old contractor now. We do all of Sturbridge's schools and things. First thing is, prevailing wage with employees, second and more important, does the town asking pay in 60 days, 120, next year? The state pays once, and that is the start of the next fiscal year which is Ju;y ist. Lot os Mass twons do the same. A lot of towns ask more thatn necessary which really isn' t related to plowing. Some demand side walks, salting,e tc. Sturbridge demands on call and be there within two hours.. You better do some deep serious questions before you say I do.
On a personal note and you can also take this from a guy who ran a small town highway dept. I would shy away and let the big boys with lot's of backup equipment and can afford to pay their help, fuel, other costs and still wait till July to get paid. I wouldn't do it, if I had to start over now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts