Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a couple of driveways that are tough. some are short and so steep when you get to the street, the plow is almost a foot in the air!i have others that are almost 1/8 of a mile UP HILL! most guys wont even bid on these drives because they are so difficult, but i like challenges and a sense of accomplishment when done!next storm i'll take some videos.

so what do you guys have for challenging drives?

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
I have 2 drives on very busy roads, One is my grandmothers and a 10 minute job takes 1/2 hour because of the traffic. Make one pass, wait 10 minutes make another ect. I also picked up another driveway on top of a hill on another busy rd. Havent plowed it yet but should be interesting how long this one will take!

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I just picked up one of those yesterday. They got recommended to me when the guy with the 3/4 ton and All Season radials couldn't get up it. I've got a yard of sand in the 2 yd sander for ballast and studded Cooper M&S tires all around on the 3500. Took off the inside duals to make it SRW. For the past couple days I've been trying to get it stuck.:D I even buried the A frame and moldboard and backed right out.

That drive I got is at a house that's being built. Only the foundation so far. When I got there, the builders were talking about IF I got to the top, they'd show me what they needed cleared. I told them let's talk about WHEN I get there. Walked right up it. Then to show them how it's done, I drove half way back down and backed back up it.

The owner kind of did a double take when I priced the job. I reminded him that I've got the equipment to get the job done and done right - the sanding he wants takes extra equipment, time and material. He agreed and just noted that he hadn't thought of it like that.

·
Registered
168 Posts
**** said:
Walked right up it. Then to show them how it's done, I drove half way back down and backed back up it.
Show off! :)

Just kidding. That probably helped sell the job for you.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Last year I had a circular driveway that started up hill, with the peak at half way through the drive and then back down to the bottom of the hill. Plow didn't touch ground after going over the peak. And it was on a busy street that was blind around a corner. Did not renew them this year by my request. Was not worth it at any price.

·
Registered
68 Posts
When I first started out,I had a blind driveway where I had to back out onto the street up a steep incline. I used to try to plow it at night so I could see lights coming around the corner. If I did it during the daytime, I would roll down the windows and listen before backing out. The place gave me nightmares. As soon as I picked up more business, I got rid of that one and I'll never take another one like it.

·
Registered
382 Posts
80% of mine I would call difficult in one way or another. There may not be any snow left this weekend but I will take some pictures anyway so you can see.

·
Site Founder
5,721 Posts
I had two I gave up a few years back. Both were driveways on steep hills. One driveway was nice and flat, and the other was a steep drive, perpendicular to a steep hill.

What would basically happen is that when backing out or pulling out of the driveway to turn around, I would begin sliding down the street sideways. There was a few times I slid enough to need to go down the hill to straighten out and regain control, then have to drive back up and into the drive to continue plowing. Both also had a blind side (the uphill side) so I couldn't really see if a car was coming down the hill as I was backing out.

I gave both of them to a friend with a CJ7, and he had no problem with them. One of them he was even able to turn around in the driveway no problem, so he never had to back out.

I never really had a problem getting up steep driveways or hills, but once I got sideways on one, it was a different story!

~Chuck

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
tough drives

steep drives require snow rated tires at the min. busy traffic always is a pain you have to price it into the job . I have quoted drives and passed on them telling he person they need someone who has a jeep

·
GO GO Gadget Plow!
1,380 Posts
I think that plowing up hill is the hardest type of drive. I had one so steep last year that I would back up as far as I could and plow down. Sand and repeat till I crested the top. Then turned around at the bottom, drive up to the crest and plow the rest that way. They didnt call this past storm, so they must have found someone else. Cant say I mind tho.
Dino

·
Registered
147 Posts
If i remember to bring the camera with me the next time i'm at the church i do i'll take some pics of the driveway and the road it borders.

Any amount more then 8-12 inches deep you have to plow the bottom going side to side and work your way up to where the driveway narrows down to where that can't be done that way anymore and then bonzia up through to the small parking area pushing what you can up the rest of the way.

Also if you make one mistake on this drive the tow bill will amount to 100's if not 1000's of dollars due to how its situated on the property.

Dan

·
LetsTalkSnow.com - Moderator
4,902 Posts
Here's one of my more interesting accounts. It runs up the side of a hill, a 12' high bank is on one side, the a steep drop off on the other. It's a steady uphill grade from bottom to top with a sharp curve at the bottom of the steepest section.

In 25 year's time, I've had to be pulled out of here twice.

This is looking down the steepest section just before the sharp curve. Total length is about 1/3 mile.

Attachments

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
nice shots pelican!

good thing you slid off where you did!

is all that light coming from the plow lights?

·
4,902 Posts
I've got a post mounted Unity spot light like the cops use. I use it all the time when conditions get rough, it helps me locate the drives when there's a lot of snow. If you look closely you can see the beam of light reflecting off the precipitation falling.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Pelican - where did you buy the spot light. Did you install, if so how hard was it?

·
4,902 Posts
I buy the either at AW Direct or Gall's , the price is about the same. I get the 6" round halogen.

I've installed these in 5 different vehicles, if you follow the directions it's not bad, but you'll need a sharp, long 1/2" drill bit. Each one takes about 2 hours to do neatly.

·
Registered
979 Posts
If you look closely at the last picture posted by Pelican, you could see a blue high beam indicator light on the dash of his truck. No wonder it looks so bright. :rolleyes:

:jk Steve

·
Registered
382 Posts
Pelican - thanks for the info. :D I will probably hold off 'till next year. AW is a good company I have bought from them before.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts