Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started several years ago with a 7 1/2' Curtis Sno-Pro 3000 on my '02 Chevy 1500 W/T, and liked it so much that I upgraded the plow to an 8 footer when I traded up to an '06 Chevy 2500HD. My dealer checked with Curtis tech support and was told the wiring harness on the 1500 would work fine on the 2500HD but that different headlight adaptors were needed, so that's what they did. After half a dozen returns to the installer and numerous calls to Curtis Guess Support :headwall they finally got it almost right.

The plow, controls, lights etc all work perfectly...except my roof lights now come on anytime the headlights are on regardless of whether or not the plow is mounted. The on-off switch on the dash has no effect whatsoever. In daylight, with the DRLs on, the roof lights are off. But the moment the headlights come on, so do the roof lights.

Also the plug in connections are a real bear to line up and the two-prong plug pops out with annoying regularity. It's like something is keeping them from being fully seated. I've cleaned them till they're spotless then reapplied dielectric grease, but it doesn't help. What was a 45 second snap with my first Curtis has become a half hour struggle with the second...and usually I give up and use the tractor instead.

Any idea from other members what's causing this? And if a Curtis rep reads this is there any chance of getting some real support for my investment? :headwall

TIA, Pete

·
Site Founder
5,721 Posts
Boondox said:
.... the two-prong plug pops out with annoying regularity. It's like something is keeping them from being fully seated.
When is one of the plow manufacturers going to start using connections that are weatherproof, like you find on the back of the computer sitting next to you right now? Is there that much vibration that you need two screws to hold the monitor plugged into the back of the puter??? Those two screws would be a godsend on plow grille connectors......

By roof lights, do you mean the cab markers, or something else?

~Chuck

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Boondox said:
The plow, controls, lights etc all work perfectly...except my roof lights now come on anytime the headlights are on regardless of whether or not the plow is mounted. The on-off switch on the dash has no effect whatsoever. In daylight, with the DRLs on, the roof lights are off. But the moment the headlights come on, so do the roof lights.
On my 01HD, the roof lights have always came on when the headlights were on. Thats how they were wired when they auto shop installed them. Im almost positive thats how they come from the factory.

Will

·
Registered
8,442 Posts
Iam a bit confused has well the clearance lights should come on in the park light or headlight funtion. Only low lit heads wit switch off and key on for Drl's.

I understand your frustration with the headlight connectors , but not sure what your asking about the clearace lights. You can make a nice set of plugs for the head lights no probem, Grote, allied sig. fed sig offer better connectors.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
William B. said:
On my 01HD, the roof lights have always came on when the headlights were on. Thats how they were wired when they auto shop installed them. Im almost positive thats how they come from the factory.

Will
On my 06, the cab clearance lights didn't come on until I pressed that button on the dash. At least until the plow wiring harness was installed. After that the switch did nothing at all. And why put a button on the dash if it does nothing? It definitely changed after the Curtis harness was installed.

I'll check into aftermarket connectors, but this is a brand new plow and I really feel Curtis dropped the ball on this one. They had a very happy, loyal customer and thru their failure to even answer my questions they lost me!

On the positive side, many thanks to the moderators for even allowing this post! On that other snowplowing forum anything remotely critical of a sponsor is nuked immediately. So for you guys, my heartfelt thanks!

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Wait a minute- you have a separate switch for your clearance lights on the front of your cab roof? The 5 amber DOT lights? We're not talking about a warning beacon or white lights on the back of the cab, right?

How is that switch marked? Did you buy the truck new? Did you have the clearance lights added?

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I to am a little confused by this. Are you talkin about the roof lights or are you talking about the fog lights in the lower valance? You do have the light switch set on auto so they automatically come on by themselves correct?

Will

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
William B. said:
I to am a little confused by this. Are you talkin about the roof lights or are you talking about the fog lights in the lower valance? You do have the light switch set on auto so they automatically come on by themselves correct?

Will
I'm talking about the five small lights (the center three share one amber cover) on the leading edge of the cab. There's a small round button on the dash with an icon that looks like the truck cab with little lights shining on top. When I bought the truck new in July that switch was the ONLY way to turn on the cab clearance lights up top, and only when the headlights were on (either on or set to auto). Since having the Curtis wiring harness installed that switch does nothing at all; now when the headlights (not the DRLs) come on, the roof lights are on. I no longer have the option of turning them on and off. I can live with that; it's just another irritant that Curtis doesn't reply to my voice mails or emails on that and the connectors popping loose.

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
The roof clearance lights are wired into the running lamp circuit,and should come on anytime the running lamps or headlamps are on.They do not come on with DRL's only.That is the way they are supposed to work.

The little switch on the dash is for the cargo light,on the back of the cab.

·
Site Founder
5,721 Posts
That switch is part of the plow prep. It is the prewired switch for a roof beacon light. This is the first I have ever heard of it being wired for the cab marker lamps. There is probably a dozen threads on that switch in the Chevy / GMC Forum here. The only thing I can think of is that the roof markers were wired (added on) after the truck was delivered to the dealer. Sounds like they tapped or spliced into that power feed for the plow controls.

It sure is odd that from day one it controlled the markers. :beatsme

~Chuck

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
This switch, is it right next to the air bag on/off switch? If so then something wierd was wired. That switch is for aux lights such as a light bar or revolving light and comes with the factory snow plow prep package. The wire is run up the A pillar and normally just is sitting in the headliner. I've never heard of the roof lights getting wired up to that switch before. I wonder if the GM dealership added those lights and thats how they wired them up.

Edit: Chuck just beat me to it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
wyldman said:
The roof clearance lights are wired into the running lamp circuit,and should come on anytime the running lamps or headlamps are on.They do not come on with DRL's only.That is the way they are supposed to work.

The little switch on the dash is for the cargo light,on the back of the cab.
No, the cargo light is a separate switch. Jesus, let me take a photo of the friggin button!

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
The only button that I know of in the vicinity of the are he is talking about is either the fog light button or dome override. In the US the dome override button disables the auto headlight system.

Sounds like someone made a boo boo when either wiring the plow or installing roof marker lamps.

A picture is worth a 1000 words.

·
Registered
8,442 Posts
Boondox said:
No, the cargo light is a separate switch. Jesus, let me take a photo of the friggin button!

Hey Buddy Chris was asking you the same thing i was and everyone else no need to get Pissy the same Moderators that allow your comments can take them away. Chris and myself are more than capable of helping you . Theres something not right in what your asking us so a picture is best.

PS Dave the domelight override button here in Michigan Anyway overides auto dome light Rap funtion , Slightly depressing the E-brake kills Drl's

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Pickering Snow said:
Hey Buddy Chris was asking you the same thing i was and everyone else no need to get Pissy the same Moderators that allow your comments can take them away. Chris and myself are more than capable of helping you . Theres something not right in what your asking us so a picture is best.
My apologies. It's just that I know my truck very well, including all the buttons and what they do, and to be told it's the cargo button or that I'm mistaken is a little frustrating. I will take a pic as soon as the ice melts enough for me to get back into the truck.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Pickering Snow said:
PS Dave the domelight override button here in Michigan Anyway overides auto dome light Rap funtion , Slightly depressing the E-brake kills Drl's
Fred,

I need to kill the Auto headlight feature is what I was trying to do with out hacking the photo cell in the dash. The DRL's are taken care of as the 1141 bulbs that are in wont come out and don’t work. :) The other problem you get when you ground the system out with depressing the E brake is you get no lights whatsoever in the entire truck and I usually need to apply it more then a little.

For the time being I've hooked up my HID headlights to a switch and I control when I want the headlights on and not the truck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Okay some pics. Cargo_Lites shows the button to the left of the steering wheel that Snowboy is talking about. That's not the one I mean. DOT_Lites shows the button I'm referring to over by the passenger side airbag lockout switch. When I bought the truck brand spanking new back in July, that was the switch I had to press if I wanted the cab clearance lights to illuminate. It only worked if the headlights or the parking lights were on, but I HAD to press that button for them to light up...and there's a small green indicator light next to it that came on only when they were lit. (Forgive the dog slobber in the second photo; my golden rides with me and is into nose art.)

Since having the Curtis plow installed that switch does nothing at all. If the headlights or parking lights are on, the cab clearance lights are on. The green indicator isn't on, but the roof lights are. And pressing the button has no effect whatsoever.

My owner's manual also refers to the switch as the means of turning on and off the clearance lights.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
The left pic shows the cargo lamp switch that I was referring to.It should only turn the cargo lamp on and off.

The pic on the right shows the roof beacon switch,but it DOES NOT come connected from the factory.It is there for upfitters adding a roof beacon.The wiring is up inside the headliner,but not connected,as the truck does not come from the factory with a beacon.

The roof mounted clearance lamps should come on with the headlamp switch,as I described above.Maybe they were dealer installed and they connected them incorrectly,then the curtis dealer repaired it ? I don't know.Maybe you ust thought they came on with that switch by mistake ? Again,I don't know.

The other possibility is you may have had a short somewhere as both the roof beacon wiring and clearance lamp wiring run up to the roof area.

It sounds like the truck operates correctly now,so I wouldn't be too concerned about it.Just keep an eye on it and make sure it continues to work as it is supposed to.

·
Site Founder
5,721 Posts
Here is a pic from the GM Upfitter manual for 05-06 models.

Here is a link to one of the threads about the switch and wire location.

http://www.letstalksnow.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9623

My brother got his 06 GMC 2500HD a few months back, and we wired his beacon up to the switch. Before that it did nothing except make the relay click. It was connected to power, but the other end was up inside the headliner like it should be.

~Chuck

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So how about the other issue...

Has anyone replaced the stock Curtis connectors with something more secure? Details, please.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts