Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 2002 gmc sierra ext cab with a 7,6 boss standard plow i turned up the torsion bars like i hear a lot of people do even the dealer said they do it sometimes but my question is does it throw the alingment off and is it bad for the truck or not thanks for any info guys scott from michigan

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
it will be fine to do just crank them back down to where they were in the summer when your not carring the plow... it helps to mark them so ya know exactly where to move them for when the plow is off in the summer and where it goes in the winter...

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
You can go 5 or 6 turns of the adjuster,and it doesn't really affect the alignment very much.Anything more than that,then get it aligned,or turn them back down in the spring.

I wouldn't go much more than 8 turns,or it will really affect the ride quality,and alignment.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I cranked mine up 8 turns and no problems. No apparent uneven tire wear, steers and drives fine. It lifted the front end just over and inch.
good luck
:canada :burnout

·
Registered
979 Posts
I cranked my '02 Chevy 2500HD torsion bars four turns and it raised the front end about 2" higher. What a difference. The truck looks bigger and level. :cool:

No problem so far, but I noticed that the brake system may feel a little "spongy" when the truck is fully loaded with plow, spreader, and ballast. Is this normal? Should I be concerned? The label on the torsion bar crossover member said to be cautious when changing as it may affect the braking system. :confused: My truck only have over 15K miles on it so the brake fluid still should be good.

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
THe only thing I think that would effect the brakes would be a different weight distribution . , changing the brake bias ?

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
Cranking the bars up does affect the weight distribution,and brake bias slightly,but as long as you don't go too far,it will be fine.

I doubt you would get 2 inches of lift by only turning the bars 4 turns.If you measured it properly,you should only see around an inch for 4 turns of the bars.IF it did go up 2 inches,you would be way too high,and it would ride terrible.

The brakes will feel a little softer when the truck is fully loaded,as they have a lot more work to do to stop the truck.Unless you feel it's dangerous,I wouldn't be too worried about it.Check the rear brake adjustment,and make sure they are adjusted up tight,or the pedal will feel mushy.

·
Registered
132 Posts
My truck made no diff. in brakeing when the torsion bars are cranked up. It doe make a diff. with the plow on adn salter and balst in the back. It takes more effort to stop when loaded up.
hope this helps
mike
:canada :burnout

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I cranked mine up about 1.5" it rides stiffer but carries the plow much better. I had it aligned, because I like how it sits, not so much of a nosedive. I would definately not suggest trying to get more than 1.5" from them, the angles my cv shafts are at now is as steep as I'd want them to be, not terrible, but not perfectly horizontal either.

I've heard guys getting almost 2" with only 4-5 turns, and I've heard other that say it look almost 8 just to get near 2" of increased height. I don't remember how many turns I did, enough to sit level side-to-side, and close to level f/r, I'm happy, and i actually like the ride, much more truck-like!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks to everyone that replied the info was very helpful thanks once again and happy new year and safe plowing !!!!!!!!!! well if we get any snow hey guys thanks again scott

1 - 10 of 10 Posts