Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple weeks ago when I was having trouble putting my Fisher plow on and off my GMC, my Fisher dealer traced the problem as having one side of the truck riding higher (+/- 1/2") than the other. So we lowered the high side to make them even, which improved the on/off ease of attachment. I'm still not impressed with the amount of fiddling required to get the plow on but that's another story.

Anyhow, I was under the truck making a further slight adjustment and noticed that one adjustment bolt is threaded in a lot further than the other side, even though the truck is very close to level side-to-side. Is this unusual? There's quite a discrepency between the amount of thread showing between the two bolts and I'm wondering if I should have the GM service guys have a look. Or, maybe I've just got too much time on my hands with no snow on the ground and none on the way in the near future. :)

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
Don't worry about it,it's normal.Some trucks are worse than others,and you would be off some more due to the offset adjustment to level the truck side to side.

If you've got to much time on your hands,and looking for something to do,lets go for a few cold ones. :D

:canada

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Yep, My torsion bars are the same way, even after 12 years.

I had to crank mine up a bit, so that the truck would sit level again. I was sure to make certian that the truck was level side to side, and the bolts were still a little off. As far as I know, it has to do with the difference in loading on one side, and the torsion bar itself can act differently than any other one made. As long as the truck is level side-to-side, I think you are in the clear.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wasn't overly concerned about it, but I did think it worth mentioning. Thanks for the responses.

"MMMM BEEEEER." By the time I have free time, it's crawl-into-bed so I get a few hours sleep before my youngest begins his nightly ritual of waking up every couple of hours. I'm the lucky one who has to stumble into his room and rub his back until he drifts off again. 'Course then he's up by 5:30 a.m. ready to rock, and I'm like a zombie from Night of the Living Dead!

Someday we'll get the S.Ontario boys together though, eh?

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
cutntrim said:
"MMMM BEEEEER." By the time I have free time, it's crawl-into-bed so I get a few hours sleep before my youngest begins his nightly ritual of waking up every couple of hours. I'm the lucky one who has to stumble into his room and rub his back until he drifts off again. 'Course then he's up by 5:30 a.m. ready to rock, and I'm like a zombie from Night of the Living Dead!

Someday we'll get the S.Ontario boys together though, eh?

I'm in the same boat right now,with 2 little girls,3 yrs,and 9 mnths.They are both down with the flu,and have been up off and on every night.

Still would like to find the time for another get together though.Maybe soon.

·
Registered
132 Posts
mine is the same, I tweeked it a bit. But the its still off from about 1/2 and inch from one side to the other. One thing to remember is the fuel tank is on the drivers side. Depending on the amount of fuel in it , this could make the drivers side higher of lower. The power steering is on the drivers side, the battery is on the drivers side. These may make the one side diff than the other when set up in the factory. Just my thaoughts on it.
chow:canada :burnout :canada

·
Registered
132 Posts
Oh ya and count me in for the get together.
:drinkup :drinkup :drinkup

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Hmmmm I read this thread and the ole light bulb is going off. Beeeeerr mmmmmmmmm

Oh yea back to the light bulb. While out plowing the other night, it felt like the front right was lower than the left side. I had thought maybe that tire was low on air, but checked and they were all OK. Now I'm wondering how easy is it for one side to come out of adjustment, or how often might one need to readjust the torsion bars?? Also, can someone explain how to do it correctly, and whether I can do it (garage did it for me last season, but I've seen posts saying it's easy enough?) Thanks.

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
Measure the truck first,to see if has dropped on one side.If it has,take a look at the bars,the keys,and the mounting crossmember to make sure nothing is bent or broken.If it all looks OK,then maybe one of the bars has lost some of it's "spring".You can turn it up a little bit,but keep an eye on it,and if it sags any further,then replace the torsion bars.

Just turn the adjusting bolt clockwise to raise the truck.Use a measuring tape to the bottom of the frame on both sides to get it level.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.