Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard that John DiMartino and Pelican were headed up to Erie PA to get some stuff done to his truck at Jerre Heyer's place.So I decide to pop in and suprise them,as it's only 250 miles from me.

I must say,they were a little suprised.:D We spent the day hanging out at the shop,and working on John's truck.Jerre is one hell of a guy,and knows his stuff.Greg Blair dropped by and brought the pizza and drinks.

It was a long day.I left at 3am (with no sleep),and pulled into Jerre's place just before 8 am.We finished up John's truck just before 11 pm,and we had a late night meal before I headed out.I got back around 4:30 am.

I would like to thank Jerre for opening his shop to us,and letting us hang around and shoot the breeze.This man is just like myself,and likes to improve and modify anything and everything.The custom controls and attention to detail make for a very nice clean install.Never once did he ever try to rush us out the door,even when it was getting late.

If you ever need something related to snowplows,Jerre is the man to see.I can now understand why people would drive so far to get a plow installed.

Steve and John are also two great guys to hang out with,so if you ever get the chance to hook up,go for it.

Again,thanks to Jerre for a great day,and Greg for the pizza and beer.I'll let John tell you guys what all we did to his truck. :D

·
Banned
1,973 Posts
I can't wait for the pic.......................

I got the lowdown, now I want pic.......:cool:

Only 12 hours for me......each way

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
Any pics of the new installation ?

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
lets see some pics... sounds like there was a mini SC get together in my town and i missed it...

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
No, I missed this one, my day will come later this winter, when (if) the temperatures drop low enough to lessen the chance of a surprise storm.

·
LetsTalkSnow.com - Moderator
4,902 Posts
John and I left Friday afternoon and arrived in Erie at 7:30 pm. We contacted Jerre to make arrangements, then had dinner at a nice steakhouse called Longhorn. From there we went to the Red Roof inn to stay the night. No wild tales to tell here, we both crashed quickly.

We checked out Sat morning at 6:30 am, and discovered a nearby Krispy Kreme (more on this in Gordyo's Dunkin' Krispy thread) and got a box for Jerre's and one each for ourselves. We arrived at Jerre's at 7:30.

Jerre was already there working and brought John's truck in right away. It wasn't long before John's Boss mount and harness were laying on the floor. About this time a guy walks in and introduces himself as Chris, it takes us a few seconds to realize WYLDMAN!!!! What a great surprise!!

Next thing we knew, Jerre had the new Blizzard 810 harness and mount on John's truck, about 11:00 am and the Greg Blair walks through the door, carting the world's greatest combination, pizza and beer. This was really turning into a party!

The next task was to mount the new Sidewing to John's truck. This required some special attention since John also hauls a SnowEx spreader in back. The Sidewing hoist assembly normally occupies some of the space the spreader would take, but not to woory, Jerre had the answer.

Jerre's shop has all the necessities for fabrication work, torches, mig, plasma cutter, steel stock, chain hoist, the list goes on and on! I even spotted Jerre using a new high tech square, making sure the angle was just right!:wink (inside joke) In a shower of sparks, Jerre created a modified mount that would both decrease space needed and increase strength for hoisting! He was able to do in several hours what might take days for someone not as skilled or experienced.

We finally got everything done at about 10:00 pm and hadn't eaten since Greg's visit, so off to Olive Garden we went. We were the last customers there, we had the whole restaurant to ourselves. It was a bit more casual atmosphere and we all had a nice visit (plus we learned some secrets on why Chris is called Wyldman) :zoinks.

Our ride home was miserable though. There was just enough mist in the air to make the road wet, and with the Blizzard on front (the Sidewing was in the bed) a constant spray was hitting the windshield and streaking it. Add to this the dark wet condition and occassional "zero visibilty" fog patches, the ride became tedious and lengthy. We finally reached John's home at 6:30 am, then I had an additional hour ride home.

Even though the weekend was exhausting, I wouldn't have missed it! Chris is just as great a guy in person as on the board, and seeing Jerre, Mike (Jerre's brother in law) and Greg is always a treat. John is good company on a long trip, we swapped pilot position to make the trip safely.

The day went so quick, and before I knew it it had gotten dark. The only Pic I got was at Jerre's shop after everything was done, it was too dark to get photos of John's truck. Here we are, left to right:
Johnny D, wyldman, Jerre and myself

Attachments

·
Registered
609 Posts
wish I'd have known, I'd have driven up with a new blizzard deflector that extends with the wings :shades

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
I bet is was John LOL who did most of the work :burnout

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
LOL JD, ya beat me to it! You'd figure John woulda gotten a little dirty since it was his truck after all. :p

Sounds like a great time was had. Also sounds like John needs to treat the windows with RainX to make those drive home conditions easier to deal with ;)

I was actually closer to Alan's, as I finally got the right weather & a chance to escape also, for some snowboarding.

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jerre did most of the work. :D

I originally showed up in good clothes,but I brought along my work clothes just in case,as I had a feeling we would be lending a hand.I prefer to be hands on.

I'm sure there will be lots of pics.I have to get mine developed and scanned,as I didn't have a digital camera there.

Adams Plowing - I didn't know you were in Erie.If I had of known,I would have let you know where we were going to be.It was pretty much a last minute thing,where I just took off and went.

·
LetsTalkSnow.com - Moderator
4,902 Posts
Chris had a change of clothes with him and jumped right into it with Jerre, John and I were gophers, we didn't have work clothes with us.

Sorry, Adams, I didn't make the connection either! It would have been great to meet you too:eek:

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Wyldman, good thread! You and Pelican said about everything that happened. I would like to add that it ws a pleasure to finally meet you Wyldman,and to see Greg,and Jerre,and Mike again. I had a great time hanging with you guys. Jerre opening his shop to us was unbeleivable.His hosptality is top notch. Pelican, thank you for the company it was a great time . Jerre did an amazing job on my install,both the plow and wing. The wing ,especially involved a lot of custom brackets and fabrication which Jerre did without hesistation,I dont think most installers would have taken the time to go this far with installing one.he repositioned the pump,and brackets to give me maximum clearance for my v box spreader.All I told him was to do whatever neededto be done .The way he mounted my sidewing controls in the blizzard controller is awesome. He used quick connects on the harness of the sidewing to make removing it easier,very nice.All in all the job came out incredible,and it took him all day and then some,It woudl have taken me 2-3 days to do this work maybe longer,and i dont think i could match most of what he did. I will havesome pics soon as the weatehr breaks and i can clean my truck. I am so happy with everything i got from Jerre,now i cant wait to use it all.
Jerre thank you for doing such a fine job on my truck,and taking the time to install everything as if it were your own truck. The 14 hr trip was well worth it,IMO Johnny
:D

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Sounds like a great time was had by all who went. Im sure the Wyldman was getting his hands dirty, right in there, werent ya Chris? :D John, cant wait to see the pictures, it sounds like you are very happy with how everything turned out. I hope you get to use it all very soon. :) Jerre sounds like a great guy who does outstanding top notch work, thats great that you had someone like him working on your truck. :) I hope to see the pictures soon, should be a real treat to see. Mike

·
Registered
668 Posts
Seeing the comeraderie (sp?), and hearing about the workmanship make it easy for me to know why I'm on this site day after day. Thanks for the thread Chris, I wish we had guys like Jerre here. Also makes me want to open up some sore of dealership here. Right now we have to go to Vancouver or Calgary for anything in the way of plow equipment. That either 4.5 hrs or 6 hrs, one way!
Graet thread I wish I lived out east. Ahhhh no, forget it, to close to the politicians.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
It sounds like you all had a great time, even if it was manual labor!

I can't wait to see the pictures of the Blizzard and side wing (black, right :D ) Hopefully you will get somethingout of the system that came through here. I wish I was closer to PA, then again, Henry's point is a good one:jk

·
Banned
1,973 Posts
Left to right.

John sleeping standing up, Wyldman going crazy, Jerre going did you take the pic yet so I can close my eyes, and Pelican surprized someone figured out how to use the camera after being in the shop for 15 hours...............

Yall look tired guys.......Nice to see pic of Wyldman, I have seen the rest of you.

1 - 20 of 135 Posts