Snowplow Forums banner

took a chunk out my cuttin edge

1K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  pro property 
#1 ·
We got 10 inches of snow over 24 hours. Been very busy, but all went well for my first major snow storm.
OH ya except the run in with a man hole cover.
I hit it at about 15mph, not a big jolt, minor bang, then a tinkle noise. Didnt think anything of it until later. I m at tim hortons, look at my blade, and there is a 3 inch chunk out of the corner of my cuttin edge. About 3 long and 2 1/2 high.
Bummer. No other damage though. I have hit a few of these now.
Whats the trick with man hole covers and sewer drains.
And can the cutiting edge be welded. I thaought I would get my buddy to weld a piece in.
thanks
chow:canada :burnout

#3 ·
It's probably just the crappy edge that came with the plow.Replace it with a good 5/8" carbide edge,and it will last a long time.

Does the plow trip OK ? It could be the trip springs are a little tight,or the attack angle is incorrect (common on GM's due to low mount height).

#4 ·
It seems to trip ok,,, I had the blade angled, and the forward side of the blade hit the cover.
I dont run shoes.
Can it be welded, or is it tempered steel.
thanks
mike:burnout :canada

#8 ·
Look for places that carry parts,or service heavy equipment\road graders.Buy a municipal grade 5/8 carbide edge.Remember to match the bolt pattern for your plow,or buy a plain edge (no holes),and get the holes punched out to match your blade.Don't try drilling them,you'll take forever.

#9 ·
I took a 1 foot section off the cutting edge yesterday on my sidewing plow doing spot cleanups where the snow had drifted.This is the second time using it,so the edge is barley worn in.I wasnt to happy about it,this is the first edge I ever broke.Im wondering if yesterdays -2 degrees had anything to do with it.I noticed the plow wasnt dropping right.Now I know why.If i hit something hard i never felt it,I guess its time for the U edge to go on.

#10 ·
I would think the temp had a lot to do with it . What the warranty on it ? The manufacturer should drop ship you a new edge as a goodwill jester .

#11 ·
chtucker said:
I have the same thoughts.... Where does one look for carbide edges? The Denver phone book does not show any potential sources.

Howard
Check your local steel supplier/warehouse,if they don't have it they can get it,my steel dealer has hundreds of cutting edges for all types of equipment,you will need to know your bolt pattern though as it's not quite the same as buying at a plow dealer who only carries edges for certain snowplows.

#12 ·
My buddy welded a new piece in for now.
Ill contact my dealer on monday, and see if I can get a whole new piece. Save the old as backup....

I think the very cold temp had a lot to do with it, my buddy/welder thinks the cold had alot to do with it.
:canada :burnout

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.