Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious why the topic of snow tires is always so controversial in nature? It seems to me that snow tires like any other tire function differently if ones vehicle is loaded or unloaded , traction control devices , stability control, or other factors come in to play. Then you have the claim get taller and narrower over wider and shorter in the attempt to increase ground pressure of the vehicle. And sure I agree if you want to get to the pavement in deep snow the greater the ground pressure the easier to sink into the snow right down to the pavement. Okay, sure that makes sense... but if you are plowing snow how much snow could you possibly need to sink through in most storms? Ideally speaking your plow should be on the surface and the truck should be driving on clear or nearly clear pavement. Thus, you really only encounter ice and a thin layer of snow.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I am curious why the topic of snow tires is always so controversial in nature? It seems to me that snow tires like any other tire function differently if ones vehicle is loaded or unloaded , traction control devices , stability control, or other factors come in to play. Then you have the claim get taller and narrower over wider and shorter in the attempt to increase ground pressure of the vehicle. And sure I agree if you want to get to the pavement in deep snow the greater the ground pressure the easier to sink into the snow right down to the pavement. Okay, sure that makes sense... but if you are plowing snow how much snow could you possibly need to sink through in most storms? Ideally speaking your plow should be on the surface and the truck should be driving on clear or nearly clear pavement. Thus, you really only encounter ice and a thin layer of snow.
Bizzie again wasting time thinking again eh....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Why question snow tires? Do you look at your cutlery and wonder if you really need a bread knife? Is it really better? If you try to cut meat with a bread knife, it will work, but not that well. You can cut bread with a chef's or carving knife, but it you really want to slice thru cleanly, get a bread knife. (or snow tires)

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Why question snow tires? Do you look at your cutlery and wonder if you really need a bread knife? Is it really better? If you try to cut meat with a bread knife, it will work, but not that well. You can cut bread with a chef's or carving knife, but it you really want to slice thru cleanly, get a bread knife. (or snow tires)
The point of post is not about snow tires value but overstating the issue of ground pressure role in the choice of tires.

·
Registered
73 Posts

The point of post is not about snow tires value but overstating the issue of ground pressure role in the choice of tires.
Take oof a tyre on each side of a dual wheel drive axle and drive in snowy roads to see how ground pressure plays into traction.

Also if higher floatation tyres gave 100% traction don’t you think Walters wood have them.... play attention and put down the paint chips....

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Take oof a tyre on each side of a dual wheel drive axle and drive in snowy roads to see how ground pressure plays into traction.

Also if higher floatation tyres gave 100% traction don’t you think Walters wood have them.... play attention and put down the paint chips....

You to remember that a 12.00-24 or 14.00-24 tire was for a long time considered a super single. So, which wasn’t as high flotation tire like we know it today but they have a nice contact area size just the same. Today’s modern Oshkosh P-series use 395/85R20 which follow the high flotation design go wider tire with a reduction in total rolling radius to maximize load carrying capacity. My tires are all 12.00-24 and they 2.5-3 inches taller and 2-3 inches narrower when loaded. But a lot of this happens to be due to tire construction and materials used.

Sure, getting more ground pressure on the ground equates to better traction. But, do you really think 1.5 to 2 inches differences or less between tire widths is going to matter much on a hard surface with little to no snow on it? The bigger factors are tire compound and tread pattern.

You do realize they don’t make a dedicated snow tire in 12.00-24 right or 395/85R20 ? They just make OTR tires with massive lugs and softer compounds since none of the tires rated over 65mph... they are just general use drive tires.

·
Registered
73 Posts
WalterFGBS Sure said:
So you admit to narrow tyres equals better traction.... so this thread was a waste of pixels...
Lower weight vehicles 1.5-2.0” wider tyres does make a noticeable difference in traction.
This thread was aboot wide vs narrow tyres not type of tyres so again put down the paint chips, pay attention and stay on topic!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So you admit to narrow tyres equals better traction.... so this thread was a waste of pixels...
Lower weight vehicles 1.5-2.0” wider tyres does make a noticeable difference in traction.
This thread was aboot wide vs narrow tyres not type of tyres so again put down the paint chips, pay attention and stay on topic!!!!!!!!
No, I don’t agree completely with your statements. There are so many more factors then just ground pressure... like compound, tread design, truck’s load, traction control v non-traction control and more.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts