Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK...80' Chevy K20, 33x12.50x16.5

Just got a load of water and heading down the highway @

55mph..........POW!!!!!!! Left front tire expodes and jerks me

Left of center........Did I mention I have a load of

water....whole rig is @ #9000. Anyway, I saw my life flash before

my eyes...nothing was coming the other way thankfully.

This was literally a "tank slapper" as I struggle for

control....finally I got it woahed down and pulled it into the

ditch on the opposite side of the road because it would not turn

to the right.

Scared the heck outa me!

Anyway....I need some tires. These were load rated "D". Where

can I find more info on tire ratings and an explanation of how big

a 950Rx16.5 is?

Any help would be great....I have no money and am looking to buy

used and/or retreads..anyone had any luck with retreads?

Check this out...let me know what you think.
http://www.high-tec-retreading.com/sizes.html

Just had to share my story with people who understand....hehe.

Later

Hankinator

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I know retreads on 18 wheelers are good ive seen the process it take to do it too its real interesting. But some times they can spit the tread off. But thats real rare. As for pick-ups I cant see retreads. Tires are 100 to 150 a tire. if u go uses you looking at 50 a tire. ANd im sure a retread will be as much as a new tire. So why not go new. I run Bf-goodrich mud terrain. ANd all 4 were like $600. TO tell you one thing if your plowing with those 33's your a brave man. I had them on last year for the first storm and i made it a block from my house and i turned around and headed home. I had no traction. Then i put on 285/75/16 skinny tires and its like driving on tar.

Rich:burnout

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
If you go to Bf-goodrich web site look up a tire like the mud-terrain and then look at the list of all the sizes and they break them down to the inchs too.

·
Registered
609 Posts
76chevyman said:
TO tell you one thing if your plowing with those 33's your a brave man. I had them on last year for the first storm and i made it a block from my house and i turned around and headed home. I had no traction. Then i put on 285/75/16 skinny tires and its like driving on tar.
you must not know how to plow with a flotation tire.....

I ran 35x12.50 x 15 general grabbers on 10" wide wheels and the tread was every bit as wide as the 12.50" and then some. never got stuck once in the snow and I was constantly pulling people out of ditches and other plowers out of banks. man could that truck stack like a front loader, the front tires just floated up the pile, I had some piles 15-20' tall...
if I had the extra $$$ for a 6" lift kit I would have 33's on the jeep too. there is just no comparison

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
Wide floatation tires are pretty scary on ice,hardpack,and deep snow.They just don't exert enough pressure to get a good bite.

They do work OK in light fluffy snow,or when the temps are warm and you are down to the pavement.

Tall and skinny is the way to go in the snow.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
LOL and when does a main road just have fluffy white snow and not compressed snow and ice underneth during a storm. The object in snow is to go throw it not ride on top. But it is a prefrence. I run 33s in the summer and ill stick to my tall skinny tires in the winter. :burnout

·
Registered
719 Posts
Check out the high-tec tires, if they are the same as I'm using up here, they are NOT retreads, retreads are just that a new thread is bonded to the tire, these are re-manufactured tires, the old carcass is x-rayed the old rubber is ground away, then the carcass is put in a mold and the tire is remolded from bead to bead, this is exactly the same process a new tire goes through, the carcass is built then the desired tread pattern /sidewall is applied in a mold. They are a lot less expenseive then a name brand tire, and my experience is that they are every bit as good, look for an E load rating.

Bill

PS 9000# is a little over the GVW rating of the Chevy!

·
Registered
154 Posts
I checked out the Hi Tec retreads this past summer. They seem like a real good deal. I was quoted $225.00 a set of 4 tires delivered to my doorstep for the aggressive mud tire.
The guy I was trading emails with was very knowledgeable about the whole process. He was able to answer all my questions and was very prompt about it too.
If I remember correctly, the carcases were Michelin brand with a load rating of E.
I plan on getting a set when I have a little more cashflow coming in. Sure could stand to snow again:D

They also offer the Green Diamond snow and ice tires.

Good luck,
Mark K

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
9000# is a little over the GVW rating of the Chevy!
Yeah...just a little over. The door jamb say #8600. The think is the truck rides much better with the extra weight. Notice I said rides....handling is a different story.

Anyway...I am way low on cash. Clearly the correct thing to do would be to purchase new rubber....but I have found a replacement 33".

I plowed with the big tires with no problems...the issue is getting there!! Pretty scary on a slick highway. Good thing I have just a short jont to town and back.

As far as the retreads go...I will be purchasing some before next plow season....with "green diamonds".

Later

Hankinator

·
Registered
146 Posts
I do not know about your state but Maryland will not let us run recaps on the front. I run the 285/16/75 B.F. Goodrichs all-terrans
year around! I get 40,000 miles out of them!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.