Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys, I KNOW this topic must have been talked right to death, but I'm new to this forum. What tires work the best for snow plowing. I'd like to know your favorite size, but most importantly, make and model of tire. Thanks!!! --JH

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Yes, this was talked about in great detail not too long ago. Alot of the guys use the Cooper Discoverers, the snow model. There are a few different Coopers, but there is one specific one that the guys say works the best, I think it was the M+S one? Do a search, and you will get back alot of reading to do. :) Welcome to the site! Mike :)

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
SDlawndawg said:
Do the Coopers wear ok or are they strictly snow tires?
I use Cooper M&S tires with studs all around for winter only. I was determined to improve traction this year so went so far as to buy chains and take off the inside duals. So far I haven't used the chains.

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
Any tire with a RMA snow rating of 10 will be a good snow tire

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
They do rate them for all season use,but they do wear quicker than a harder all season truck tire.Guys who do a lot of hot weather driving,or heavy hauling seem to wear them out quickly,in less than 20,000 Miles.

I use mine pretty much for winter only,but have been doing some fall and spring driving on them.This is my third season on them,and they are hardly worn,less than 10-15% worn off them.They have lost a bit of the bite on slick ice,but still way better than any other tire I've tried.I think it's like any tire,the heat cycles,exposure to the sun,etc hardens the tire,and they lose some grip.

They were cheap,cheaper than most good AT's,so if i can get 3-4 seasons,and still trade them in towards new ones (with more than 50% tread left),then I'm happy.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Only about 20,000? I thought they would do better. Must be a soft compound. They look like they would grip well with all the siping.

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
They have lots of grip,no question.even in the mud,and rain,the extra siping and the soft compund works wonders.

Most of the guys who were wearing them out that quick would wear out a set of regular tires in 30,000 or so.Take that into consideration,and the the tread life isn't too bad.

It's still a cheap price to pay for good traction.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I got around 50,000 or so miles out of mine, over 4 years & driving them year round. The fronts were dead bald though when I did get the new ones. :eek:

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
nsmilligan said:
Chris

I thought you were going to give the Green diamonds a try, remember the old place and Jerre's comments?

Bill
I may if the Coopers ever need replacing.

No one carries them around here,and my tire shop is right next door to my auto shop,so that was a big factor in the decision to go with the Coopers.They always have them in stock if I ever need one.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Point taken, but if you ever get a chance to try a set you'll be impressed. Last week I rented my Trackless to the Town Works next door (they broke theirs ) 20+ cm wet etc. I put 235 85 16 e Green diamonds on the Trackless in place of the 10.5x16.5 Skid-steer Goodyear's they have on theirs, their operator couldn't believe the difference in the amount of snow mine would push, they're ordering new tires and rims

Bill

·
Registered
289 Posts
I think it was Bill that turned me onto the Green Diamonds, but who ever it was sent me in the right direction. I still have a set of Green Diamonds on a truck and those tires have 52K on them. They are down to racing slicks, but I can still pull out of an inclined street in two wheel drive. Here is a pic of the tire in August 03 with 40K on them.

Attachments

·
Registered
289 Posts
I wish I could get the same angle out of both pics, but you can see that the green diamond is still throughout the tire in both pictures even though there is a 12K difference in mileage.

Considering they are half the price of name brand tires, I can see no reason to switch.
But to each their own!!!:burnout

Andy

1 - 17 of 17 Posts