Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to this site and looking for a little advise. I have a Dodge Ram 1500 Ext Cab and just put a 7 1/2 Curtis SNO-PRO 3000 on the front.

Plan on supplimenting my income and plowing some neighbors driveways + my own (last winter SUCKd) .

I noticed the front end sinks pretty low when the blade is up, read a fiew posts about the timbrens and invested the $140+ on a set for the front.

Install instructions and everyone elses posts led me to believe the install would be no more time consuming than 30 miutes and I figured I'd save the $60+ they wanted to install them.

Jacked up one side of the truck, pride the bump stop out of the bump stop cup..no problem. Took a couple 4"x4" pieces of steel, each piece bout 1/2" thick , set those on top of the flat surface on the axle where the bump stop would meet the axle, placed the timbrens on the make shift shimms, lined up the spacer that sits atop the timbren and inserts into the bump stop cup and lowered the vehicle. It would not fit.......it compressed the timbren, but no matter what I did, while trying to press the spacer into the bump stop cup it would not go.

today i called timbren's "techinical support" and they suggested I put the spacer to the grinder and remove material so that it will fit....i did this and used a rasp file as well and sculpted, in my opinion, what I believe is a remarkable likeness of the original short of breaking out calipers and measuring for accuracy. It still would not go

My question(s)-- is this common? Has anyone had a similar problem they were able to resolve? Am I on the rite track or should I just admit defeat and pay the $60+ for the install?
:headwall

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
I've never really had any problems at all.I find sometimes the spacers are too loose,and i just weld the plates to the bumpstop cup.

Are you sure you have the right ones ? Your part number should be DF15002A.If the part number is correct,maybe they are boxed wrong ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TIMBRENS

Thanks for the reply Chris. Refering to both the Timbren website and Timbren Tech Support, it is suggeseted that my truck requires the DF25004B - 1994-01 w/4WD FRONT.

I think I will forego the headache and pass this project off to the mechanics at the spring company I purchased the Timbrens from.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Sounds like he has the 3/4ton kit? I'd rather see you get the proper kit first, then elect to have them install it if so desired. I'd hate to see them scab something up just to make 'em fit an application they weren't designed for from the beginning.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I just picked up my timbrens last week. The shop owner ( an old friend) asked if I wanted to save the install charge because they were "a peice of cake" to install. I had just finished plowing very tired and said no I'll pay you. Best bet *G*.

It turns out that he had an old version of the correct part number in stock. The newer version has a bevel on it. After about 40 minutes of cussin' They called Timbren and were told to grind it down. They did and it went in eventually. One of them still won't seat all the way, but I think that after a storm they will be ok. Otherwise they go back to have the updated part installed.

~jerry~

·
Registered
637 Posts
Dodge & Timbrens

Last year I put a set on the front of my 1994 2500. Wow what a pain the where. I had to lube up the rubbe that goes into the frame, and use a bottle jack with many pieces of scrap 2x4's and such to press them it. Took about 40 minuets a side. Was installing them late at night on the weekend, no tech support open then on a Sunday night:headwall . No complaints though, at least I know that there not going to come out. But to get my old bump stops out was easy. First tried prying them, then gave up on that. Gave em a quick shoot of heat from the torches, and the pry bar got them right out.
Well last Wedness day I put new coils on the front 047/048 combo. Now I have about 4" of clearance between the axel and the bottom of the timbrens, with the plow off the truck. Before with the old springs there was no room:eek: . So with the ballast in the back and the plow on I don't even move the front end with the Meyer CP-8. :grinz . The coils cost me $205.00 and some change, a buddy of my works at the local dealer in parts hooked me up.
The install and the spring up grade credit all goes to Chris:D :cool: ! He filled me in on the easyest sping install I've ever done. Thanks Chris, I 'll have to buy you a few cold ones next time I'm at the cottage in Meaford, Ont.:canada
Thanks, This Place is:cool:
Scott

·
Registered
357 Posts
Nice work Scott. I've got the same combo in the same truck, mines a Cummins, though:D What motor do you have in your truck? My springs were pretty easy to install, and the truck sits a little higher in the front, it bulldogs with ballast and no plow on:D BTW, post some pics of your truck in the "Post Your Dodge Truck Pics Here forum" It must be pretty nice:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts