Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was talking to plowers in Washington, D.C. ! Got fined for having plow on with no beacon light! I would like to see that Cop in a ditch! Has anyone heard of this?

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Yes, many towns\states have laws that say you must use safety lights when using a plow truck. NJ actually has a law that you have to have a license to use the lights, BUT you can only get the license if you are doing a contract for the state. So here I could get a ticket for using the lights, which is ridiculous IMO.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
The county mounties do that around here, it's fairly common actually.

All that is required is for it to be amber, 360° visable for 500 feet, and mounted as high as possible. I think the ticket is $75, that right there would almost buy the light, then you'd have no problems, and would be safer.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
that doesnt bother me,I use lights on all my trucks.Id rather have that to be honest.I dotn like when you have plow trucks backing into the road,in a driving storm and you cant see them because they have no light. That is common here.

·
Registered
119 Posts
The majority of guys around here don't use anything! I know people who have been plowing for many years and still don't have any type of warning device.

And we're talking about backing out of driveways onto busy streets!

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have them and use them.
Sometimes I only use them when i'm right near the road where i want people to be able to see me so i don't get hit.
And then turn them off when i'm back in off of the highway or near the house so it doesn't shine into their house at 4am or whenever i'm doing it.

Dan

·
LetsTalkSnow.com - Travel & Bar Consultant
2,029 Posts
Same here in upstate NY.......I have been warned about
having a yellow flashing light when plowing by the local
cops. I do have one but sometimes forget to turn it on!
(DUH!)

Not sure if it is a state or local law here tho............geo

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
SnowyBowtie said:
The county mounties do that around here, it's fairly common actually.

All that is required is for it to be amber, 360° visable for 500 feet, and mounted as high as possible. I think the ticket is $75, that right there would almost buy the light, then you'd have no problems, and would be safer.
In peoria you have to have your light on anytime you have your blade on? Usualy I dont have it on when transporting unless I am on a narrow road or its realy nasty out. Its always on when in a lot though.....

·
Registered
8 Posts
This is the first year I ever plowed.....I live in a small town in Indiana. I saw the Sheriff at the local chicken place and asked what lights are required for having a plow on your truck. His answer was:

Your headlamps have to be visable with the plow up or down.
You don't have to have running or turn signal lamps visable in the front.

He also stated a yellow/amber warning strobe was allowed to be used but totally optional.

I have tried to ask the local DMV but they do not know or care.
I have called the state police but have not been able to get to the correct people.

Any Indiana guys know for sure?

Later

Hankinator

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
You should be able to get the vehicular code book from your SOS or talk to the SOS guys that do the vehical inspections.....they seem to be the most knowldgable on stuff.

·
Registered
668 Posts
In BC no one knows anything . . . . until your @$$ is stopped on the side of the highway, then they know the minimum size of a rust spot permitted on the inside of your muffler!!:mad:
I'm surprised I haven't seen some one with our DOT bent over on the side of the highway coughing!

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Phillip,
I got pulled over once in the heights. He just asked that I turn it on when transporting. No ticket, just a verbal request. My buddy got a ticket out in Dunlap one time, and I have heard of people downtown and near Bartonville getting tickets. This is usually when its still snowing out, or the roads are still slick. If I'm driving around the next day, clear skies, and dry roads, I won't have it on.

I figure, I paid good money for the damn thing, I'm sure as hell gonna use it, besides, it looks Hella cool!!!pimp

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Yup.....chicks dig plow trucks :D

although oddly enough I am still single :confused: :rolleyes: :D

Once i get my strobes installed I will probably just run them on the roads since I dont think they will be as distracting as the full bore whirly action. I'm puting a clear and an amber in the center of my lightbar so it will just show front and back.

Blinkyness is cool :shades :D

·
Registered
620 Posts
In NY state, you are required to use an amber warning light ( Sect 375 and Sect 117-a, NYS Vehicle and traffic Law) The only exception is that during daylight hours you may display 2 red flags visible for at least 500 feet, instead of the warning light.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.