Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping to get a bit of advice to help make an educated decision on buying a much needed set of new tires for this season.

I knew I was looking to buy Cooper Discoverer M&S so I thought it was gonna be slam bam simple, but when I searched for the match for my truck it turned up these 3:

http://tinyurl.com/8nncgg3

That's a link to a Sears comparison page and it shows the following and they all look the same but obviously have differences:

Cooper DISCOVERER MS - 245 / 75R16 111S BW

Cooper DISCOVERER MS - LT245 / 75R16C 108Q BW

Cooper DISCOVERER MS - LT245 / 75R16E 120Q BW

I've been in a difficult financial situation for a while so naturally my first impulse is to get the least expensive ones, but now I'm wondering if that would be a mistake.

Would someone here mind educating me a bit on whether it's OK for me to go with the least costly of the three?

I know that it matters how I'm going to use them, so...

- I'm not plowing commercially or for anyone else. Just my driveway (and occasionally my neighbor's drive).

- My driveway is a bit of a beast. It's almost 300 feet long and is a mix of both small gravel (crusher-run) and larger stones (I believe "4 point" rocks). The drive is rough / bumpy / uneven because I had to resort to that mix of gravel and stone to fill it in over the years in patch-work. Had to build it up in some spots due to flooding and didn't get the proper amount of crusher run spread over the bigger stones.

- We tend to get a lot of heavy wet snows up here near the Adirondacks, and when it hits it sometimes piles up high and fast. Combine that with the rough surface of my drive and it's moguls/pits I have to do a lot of back-dragging.

- My truck is a 2001 Silverado 1500 4x4 Ext. Cab and I have a Western Pro Ultramount 7' plow (I think the Ultramount is a 2003 model).

I'd really appreciate the opinions of you professionals here. Given the above info, do you think I would be OK with the least expensive of the 3 models?

The price difference might not seem like much to some folks, but for me it's a lot right now. I'm only expecting to get a few seasons out of them and I don't put hardly any miles on during the off-season. The most use my vehicle sees is during the winter and a good bit of that is just plowing my own (long treacherous) driveway.

Do you think I can get by with the cheapest version of the Cooper Disc. M&S of the three? Or is there a big reason for the price difference and would it be a mistake?

Many thanks for your opinions and advice!
Dave

·
Registered
701 Posts
Any of the 3 should work for your truck, the difference is the load rating, ply, and tread depth.

Cooper DISCOVERER MS - 245 / 75R16 111S BW 2403lbs, 4 ply and tread depth of 15.

Cooper DISCOVERER MS - LT245 / 75R16C 108Q BW 2205lbs, 6 ply and tread depth of 17.

Cooper DISCOVERER MS - LT245 / 75R16E 120Q BW 3086lbs, 8 ply and tread depth of 18.

Unless you plan on loading it down to full capacity the cheapest should work for you.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Load rating and tire pressure is everything if you need to carry a load. Mine are 80 PSI, like a bicycle. If you want to cruise down the road with the plow on, higher PSI means less plow smacking into the road.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
- We tend to get a lot of heavy wet snows up here near the Adirondacks, and when it hits it sometimes piles up high and fast. Combine that with the rough surface of my drive and it's moguls/pits I have to do a lot of back-dragging.
Not sure why you need to do a lot of back dragging, but every hydraulic ram I've broken has been from hitting rocks while back dragging. There is no trip mechanism when running backwards, I avoid it like the plague. Rams cost money also, and worse yet, you are done till the next day when (if) you can get a replacement.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Having owned a set of the M&S and ending up hating them, I would recommend finding something else.

I'd take a look at those Discoverer AT3's they look like a nice pattern and they are less money then the M&S.

I'm seeing some other brands that aren't that bad pricewise and have some nice looking patterns on them. Remember it's the number of edges that give traction. A good block pattern without any kind of rib in the center I believe are the best way to go.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I put the 10 Ply Cooper Discoverer ATR's on my Dump last year, one of the best "all weather" tire's I've ever used. I was never able to run the truck in 2 WD as much as I can with the Coopers. They're going on their 2nd season and showing little if any wear. Paid $850 out the door for 6 of them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts