Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I have heard a lot about timbrens, but what are they really? If a truck, say my new F350 has a plow package on it, do I need them? Do they really make that much of a difference? Do you all put them on the front and the back (if I am carrying a VBox)? Are they difficult to put on? I have seen them loose (at my plow dealer) but not on a truck. Let me know as I think you can easily convince to get them or not!
Thanks,
Andy

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
The Timbrens are a hollow rubber spring,which gets progressively stiffer as it is compressed.The don't really come into play much until you put a load on the truck.They will greatly improve the handling of the truck with the plow on,and save wear and tear on the front end.For under $150.00,they are probably one of the best additions you could make to your truck.

You can run them in the rear as well,they will help with the extra weight of the loaded v-box.

They are very easy to install,most people can do them at home in the driveway in under an hour.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I got em on my plow prep equiped truck (see sig V)

I have heard people complain that they suck in the rear unloaded(bad ride) and there are other better alternatives. I duno, just what I have heard.

They took me a 1/2 hour or so and i dont notice any change in ride really. My truck drops close to 1.5" with the blade raised and it handles the plow fine.

Dont know about how they preform on a leaf though but even the ford guys seem to like em. Cheap addition IMO

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
Ratlover is right,there are better alternatives for the rear.Airbags would be preferred,as they are fully adjustable for load and ride quality,but are more expensive,and a little harder to install.

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
I have them on the back of my 3/4 ton and they can handel the weight just fine had a load of versa block full to the bed rail and the truck did not even go down.I also have them in the front too would highly recomend them.Was talking with the timbren rep at the snow and ice show very nice guy they really have good customer service.

·
Registered
333 Posts
well this truck here has timbrens on the front and rear.i have the EZ dumper on the rear half full of heavy wet leaves with my plow on.they act like a helper spring.so instead of adding a leaf to the rear or installing a heavy rated spring on the front you use these.now they only work when your under a heavy load like a plow or a loaded truck bed.they give a nice ride when the sup is using them

Attachments

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
This is the guy i talked to at the factory very pleasent to talk to and helped me out 110% .His name is ED Sanders 1-800-263-7581

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys, great input, I think I will look into them. That photo with the plow and leaf box are a good selling point. Especially since it is an F150.

·
Registered
71 Posts
based on the genral consensus here I just ordered Timbrens for my ranger I hope to get them before thanksgiving and put them on over TG wknd

Dean:p

·
Registered
609 Posts
AndyN. said:
Thanks guys, great input, I think I will look into them. That photo with the plow and leaf box are a good selling point. Especially since it is an F150.
that truck is not a plain jane F-150 it is the F-150 HD something like 7800# GVWR, basicaly a light duty ¾ ton ;)

this is a timbren;

·
Registered
415 Posts
I was thinking about putting them on my GMC 1500 4x4 shortbed reg. cab on just the rear for when I have the mower in the back or leaves and the trailer on, the truck sags quite a bit with little weight. My question is will the timbrens affect my handling? I ride on the highway quite a bit and the truck gets loaded just about every weekend durning non winter months. Should I put the timbrens on or do like air shocks? Or would you suggest Air bags.
Sorry for all the questions I'm just a little :huh
Thanks in advance
Eric

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
For the rear.......

The Timbrens are simple and easy.The price is cheaper too.

The airbags are a better solution,but are more expensive and harder to install.It will give you the adjustability when needed.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Not to change the subject, but MikeGamb, are those casters on your plow in place of the doorstops, uh I mean shoes? Just curious...

·
Registered
866 Posts
Nah! They're traning wheels!!! LOL!!:D

Actually they are casters- there is a good pic of them in another forum, I caught that earlier and asked him about them- it's actually a good idea if you've got a concrete floor where you store your plow. Why spen the money on a dolly when you can spend $20 on a set of casters and just glide your plow around!

I'm thinking that I'll find a set of doorstops in the spring for my Fisher and do the same thing!

Bill

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Good one Bill. I've got a few sets you are welcome to. They've been sitting around for a while, but have never been used. Even funnier is that one of our local Fisher dealers has a few sets sitting up on a shelf for sale!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have gabriel hi-jacker air shocks on the back of my truck. Granted, it is a 1/4 ton pickup, but I still do work with it and the hi-jackers have certainly helped increase the payload (they claim an increase of 1100lbs when they are fully inflated to 200psi.) . I have had roughly 2000lbs in the bed of my S-10 ZR2 and there was not much sag at all. Big difference from stock and at $50 a pair, not a bad price at all.

·
Registered
866 Posts
John- I would like to take you up on that offer- I wonder how much shipping would be to have them sent to my neck of the woods? Woudl it be worth it? On the other hand if you are going to any of the get togetheres next year maybe we could hook up then? I will keep you in mind and wait to see what happens. Thanks!!!

BTW- I'm trying to catch up with Mike 97SS for the comedian of the site- I 've got a long road ahead of me though!!! LOL!!:D

Bill

·
Registered
866 Posts
Mike- Are the casters welded or rivited on? It looks like they are rivited on form that pic- I thought that they were welded. If they are rivited than your idea is even easier than I thought! I'm not that good with a welder yet!:rolleyes: I definitely need practice! LOL!

Thanks again for the pic- it has really got me thinking about doing something like it for my blade next year!

Bill

1 - 20 of 24 Posts