Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I know this has been discussed a long time ago, on a "different" site, but not here so I figured it would be a good thread to get started. Whats everyones idea of the perfect snowplow truck? If you were going to buy one brand new truck and plow and money wasnt a concern, what would you buy and why? What namebrand truck, plow, and spreader? What motor and trans would you have in it? What options would you definitely want or need? What tires would you put on the truck and why? For the guys who bought new trucks already and used them for atleast one or more seasons, what would you change about the truck you bought and why, if you could do it over again? Is the truck too long?? Was buying the gas motor a mistake and you wish you went diesel? Anything you could add or change, please say. This could be a really great thread to get started. Lets hear what you guys have to say! Mike :)

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
My ideal truck would be a 2003 Chevy 2500HDDuramax, Alli combo, Reg cab, long bed. I'd want to swap in a SFA, but only have it riding at about 3" higher than stock. I'd use a Dana 60 probably and lets say Ford X-code springs. I'd have a set of BFG All-terrains 285/75, Limited slip rear, and front, Atlas T-case for a 4:1 low range. I'd go with the 9'6" Western MVP, and Proflow1 spreader, 911ep led lights mounted on rear and sides of toolbox (like stephen's truck) Ecco or Whelen mini lightbar, Backrack or headache rack with backup lights, Heated seats, wipers and mirrors, soft cloth bucket seats.... and auto pilot!

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
Late 70's chevy crew cab long bed.500 HP Cummins twin turbo diesel under the hood.47RH mated to a NP 205 Case.D70 with an ARB up front,D135 locking rear.Blizzard 8611 run off central hydraulics.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds good to me John, but I think the auto-pilot is a bit much to ask for! :p Come on guys, 22 views and only 1 reply? Maybe I should have named this thread The Ideal Girlfriend? LOL! That would have gotten alot of hits Im sure. Mike :)

EDIT: Ok 2 replies, just read Chris's! :D

·
Registered
357 Posts
I would get a Dodge Ram with the 02 body style, of course the new HO Cummins, (maybe I'd just get John's motor:D )Reg. Cab. Short Box. It would have a Dana 80 SRW rear, and Dana 60 front. 5 speed automatic, worked over by DTT. It would sit on 33's in the winter, and 38" TSL's in the summer. Blizzard 8611 on the front, with 47/48 springs, timbrens, and lots of ballast! PM Pirhana LED's lining the sides, and back. Whelen full size strobe bar, hiddens strobes. I would take an Eaton electrac locker in bothe front and rear, and have a 60,000 lb. tow strap for pulling out the other guys :D :D I have been good this year, so maybe Santa will bring me my wish:greenange :D

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Ex-cab short bed GM Diesel, allison, 4 wheel steering and a blizzard plow

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im amazed at how many guys mentioned putting on a Blizzard plow! I guess they are really catching on. I dont see any at all here, but I guess that will soon be changing. Hmm, no one mentioned a Ford yet or even a PowerStroke diesel motor. ;) Keep the replies coming! Mike :)

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I need to add a few things,
BFG AT's
Liquid de-ice in the rear
Fully loaded Leather interior
Detroit in the rear
E-locker in the front

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
what wyldman said only with a short box,and a built 48RE.Oh yeah,out a 2" body lift on it,so you could squeeze the 8.3 Cummins in too:D .

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
The ideal truck would be a chevy 80's style with solid front axels and all the nice modern features of todays truck with a big old diesel/allison combo. To much for me to list but that is just the basics plus the most important one that it will never brake down and it will always make you :cash :burnout

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Dear Santa:

Long wheelbase Wrangler from AEV conversions in Montana (6 foot bed), 5.7 dodge hemi, dana 60s front and rear, ARBs F+R, 4.56 gears, Atlas II 3.0 transfer case Springs/airbags to hold a 8611 and a sidewing. Heated wipers, seats, mirrors. 200 alt. and a tailgate 2 stage spreader. On board air for running air tools and a mobi welder for welding. Quick hitch winch with 150' of amsteel rope, Snap on bed mounted tool boxes with a complete set of tools.

Thanks,

little howie

·
Registered
107 Posts
I think if I could build the perfect "1 ton" i would focus around low maint, and that means stainless.

So lets see:

1. Ford F 350, F 550 if you want a spreader in the body.
2. 4x4 Diesel and Auto trans.
3. Rubber floor
4. Cloth seat
5. AC
6. Heated and power mirrors
7. Heated wiper blades.
8. Power Windows
9. Led Lighting on the body
10. Whelen Stobe system
11. Stainless body.
12. While i am not 100% sure on the durablity of the x-blade, i would have to go with a Fisher x-blade.

Now this spec is much different that what I would have speced in the past. In my new line of work, we keep trucks much longer 12 to 15 years is the norm. With the EPA and DEP cracking down on storm water and air quality laws. The old days of wasing the truck down outside are over. This used to remove much of the salt and sand from the body. The days of being able to repaint a plow or body inside the shop with out a piant both are over as well. By going stainless, you have ellimanted some of these problems, yes its more up front. Only if you figure the cost spent repainting blades and bodies every 3 or 4 years. The cost of stainless is easly recovered when you figure in down time, painting and the cost associated with it.

Geoff

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Geoff, are you serious about not being able to wash down a truck covered in salt? Its that the law everywhere? Whats the fine for being caught doing that? That sucks, because the salt is eventually gonna get washed off anyway, even if it rains when you have the truck parked outside, or if you take it to a carwash and let them wash it for you. Mike :headwall

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
OK Santa, Here is my wish list:
2004 Dodge reg cab 3500 DRW 4x4 Cummins automatic with Blizzard 8611 plow, rhino lining in the bed, and a Kois Ice killer 400 gal. Mag spray system. The truck would have an air locker in the rear, cloth seats with rubber floor mats, killer stereo, whelen light bar with extra backup lights and strobes in the corners. It would have BFG-At's all the way around on American Racing dually wheels. It would have a computer in the console with a satellite network system back to base and a small on board printer. Ther would be a bank of comm gear starting with FRS radio, Cell phone, CB Radio, and my Search and Rescue police radio. Oh yeah, it would be the metallic purple from a couple years ago Dodge and have license plates " snowgrp" (snow-grape) Yeah... :rolleyes: :D :D

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
Stainless hmm what a good idea truck makes would hate it but they would last longer.I think would take a little from what every one said. All good ideas.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Mike 97 SS said:
Geoff, are you serious about not being able to wash down a truck covered in salt? Its that the law everywhere? Whats the fine for being caught doing that? That sucks, because the salt is eventually gonna get washed off anyway, even if it rains when you have the truck parked outside, or if you take it to a carwash and let them wash it for you. Mike :headwall
Ok here is how it works with the storm water laws:

We can was our trucks inside, however no sand may enter our floor drains. For no sand to enter we must line the drains with fabric like what is used in a silt fence. This provides for very slow drains, so we use less water. Our floor drains must be hooked upto the sewer system to prevent the contamination of ground water.

We used to just park the trucks outside use a 1.5" line and flush the sand and salt off them. However the EPA says those days are gone.

Geoff

·
Registered
49 Posts
3 Words

Never

Breaks

Down

:D

·
Registered
610 Posts
im a simple man with simple needs

how about the ford dump at the bbq

all you need to ad is a salter and a v-plow

john

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I'd like to make a few additions to my truck.

I want to add
~Bucket seats are designed by Lazy boy 'engineers'
~Laptop with cellular internet, or long range wireless network, so I can work on files at home, while in the field.
~GPS and satellite weather (since I can't have the auto pilot:grinz
~Heated/cooled cupholders, so the coffee or iced tea would stay hot/cold
~Glove/sock drying rack behind the seat- we all hate to be cold and wet.
~Wouldn't mind having a tv, but you cant really watch and plow at the same time, so 10 disc CD changer will have to do. I wouldn't mind a set of 10's either.

Last but not least: I'd like to see wipers on the rear window as well, when the snow is really flying, hits the window and melts, it leaves all that water, It'd be nice to be able to see out of it....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Ford f450 dump 4x4, either 9 foot fisher x blade or blizzard.Would want the built in spreader like in pelicans snow fighter. Led brake lights in the dump bed, Led warning lights in the rear.. 2 Led slim lights in the front grill Nova mini bar on the roof.Good heat and 2 way radio.Also Alpine cd player.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts