Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Scenario: you have an empty truck that weighs 10,000lbs empty dead at the bottom of a 45 degree slope or 100% grade let's say grass-- with a front bumper mounted winch. Can this winch with a single line pull make it up the hill?

Let's use .04 for the value of the friction of the surface. And 1/60 the total value of the weight x the angle of the slope to calculate the gradient resistance. These values are the common values you will find in any winching manual.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thinking about putting a 17,500lb rated winch on one my Walters to recover the others.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Thinking about putting a 17,500lb rated winch on one my Walters to recover the others.
I'm confused - why would a vehicle with 100% traction need to be rescued? Isn't that an issue only for lesser, non-Walters with sub-100 traction percentages?

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm confused - why would a vehicle with 100% traction need to be rescued? Isn't that an issue only for lesser, non-Walters with sub-100 traction percentages?
mechanical failure. But everything can get stuck. it is a great system but, if I get the truck in a soft spot and It sinks up to frame on one side a winch maybe necessary to recover It. Plus, I like playing with snatch blocks and winches.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts