Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've looked all over the internet and still cannot determine: What exactly is the purpose of the taper?? It seems to me that with the wide end leading, the snow would be forced into a smaller space as it approaches the narrow end, and would thus pick up speed and get thrown further. Pictures I've seen, however, look like the narrow end is leading.

All the ads I see extol the virtues of the taper without explaining what in heck it is supposed to do.:oops:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Mold boards that are taller on the end kick the snow over windrows further and over taller banks. Plus they make bow tie shapes in piles too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mold boards that are taller on the end kick the snow over windrows further and over taller banks. Plus they make bow tie shapes in piles too.
Half of a bow tie, I would think.

I've seen them in use and thought the snow exited at an increased rate, but flowing from the narrow end to the wide end would actually slow the flow, as water in a river slows where the river widens. I guess the purpose is just to allow a higher escape path.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yes 1/2 a bow tie
Yes, higher mold board the high snow can be carried over a bank and cast further when windrowing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts