Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not sure exactly where to put this tread due to it not involving plowing with equipment. Please relocate as you feel necessary.
:feedback

For the last couple of months I have been looking to purchase a gooseneck trailer to haul my dozer. Hauling weight of the dozer should be right about 18,000lbs.

From the research I have done, I can pick-up a triple axle for about $1K cheaper than a tandem dual trailer. I am looking for opinions on what you prefer, benefits of either axle combo, ect

Andy

·
Registered
131 Posts
Well, right off the top of my head I can tell you that if you try to turn sharp with a triple you will certainly scuff/wear your tires more than tandem. Just has to do with the wheelbase and rotational forces.... I understand it, but I was never good at explaining this one... :beatsme Anyone wanna jump in?

Also, there is more weight on each of the tires on the triple. let's just say for the sake of arguement that with trailer and all you end up about 20K trailer weight. Let's just say you put 2K on the tongue...Ok, the other 18K is split up over 6 tires which gives you 3K per tire. Now do the same with the dual tandem and you get 2.25K per tire. That's about 750 pounds less per tire. Not a big deal, but remember that when you work on soft surfaces you always want better flotation charateristics.

I have tried both and I much prefer the way the dual tandem handled behind my truck. I was using a F-250 Powestroke and two trailers from contractors I worked with. Loaded on a tight cul-de-sac turn I would always worry the front axle tires on the triple were going to pop a bead or something! You could really see the sidewalls flex!!!

What are you pulling it with? What are the GVW's of each of the trailers? Make sure to give yourself some margin!

Just my $.02

:usa

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have been talking with Superior Trailers out of Commerce City. Their triple is rated at 21,000lbs (7k per axle) and the Tandem Dual is rated at 22K (11K per axle) - Towing rig will be a 01 F-550.

I can understand what you are saying about the triple scuffing/wearing more on tires. Something that I really liked about the triple, is that it has brakes on all three axles. As anybody that has towed heavy stuff before can tell you, it's not a problem getting the load moving, the problems come in trying to stop the load.

Any additional comments would be greatly appriciated. I'm not in a hurry to get a trailer - No need to have a new trailer buried in the snow:nope

Andy

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Andy,you need a 12K gooseneck to be legal.an 18K machine on a 21000 gooseneck is overweight.The goosenecks that size weigh about 3800-4500 lbs at the minimum.,so add that to the 18000 and your overweight,although if pin weight is correct you will not be over on the axles.The DOT will eventualy stop you and the fine will cost more than the right trailer upgrade cost will now.That 550 is going to grunt bad,im sure it wil be fine for local roads though.,and obviously you know your over your GCWR. Our golf cart company uses an 01 F450 six speed to haul 10 gas carts on a goosneck,and it is a dog,the drivers hate using it.I did offer to BOMB it though:D One other thing on the trailers,if you make a lot of tight turns and city driving,the triple axles scuff real bad in turns,id get a tandem if this is the case,also if you are driving on toll roads the triple axle will cost you more as you have an extra axle to pay for evey time you go thru a tool.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One other thing on the trailers,if you make a lot of tight turns and city driving,the triple axles scuff real bad in turns,id get a tandem if this is the case,also if you are driving on toll roads the triple axle will cost you more as you have an extra axle to pay for evey time you go thru a tool. [/B]

You gotta remember, this is Colorado, I'm not even sure if the whole state even has a toll road. ;) As far as city driving goes, I'm not planning on hauling this thing any where near a city.

The main purpose I am even looking for a trailer is due to recieving a logging contract for next year. the site is approx. 40 highway miles from the shop, and then another 2 miles of well maintained dirt road. I realize I could just get somebody to haul it for me, but the trailer I have now is on it's last leg. If I was doing any hauling near town, it would be with a minimal load for this type of trailer - 8K max.

Thanks

Andy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts