Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
tailgate spreader question

I have a snow/ex minipro 575 and a curtis fastcast 2000 (same thing) ok here is the problem. I have had both motors rebuilt and i just replaced the the harness the one that goes from the control box to the motor. My problem is no mater what i do the salt is only flying 5 or 6 feet. I am running bulk salt and i have had dry bulk wet bulk frozen bulk. all the same. I put one of those car starter vibrators on there helps loosen it up but it still isnt flying like it should.. what should i look for. i need to fix this asap. I was fling salt out of the bed of my truck last night by he shovel full while my sidewalk guy drove the truck. he was frozen so i did it, what a nice boss i am LOL. any ideas??

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have a snow/ex minipro 575 and a curtis fastcast 2000 (same thing) ok here is the problem. I have had both motors rebuilt and i just replaced the the harness the one that goes from the control box to the motor. My problem is no mater what i do the salt is only flying 5 or 6 feet. I am running bulk salt and i have had dry bulk wet bulk frozen bulk. all the same. I put one of those car starter vibrators on there helps loosen it up but it still isnt flying like it should.. what should i look for. i need to fix this asap. I was fling salt out of the bed of my truck last night by he shovel full while my sidewalk guy drove the truck. he was frozen so i did it, what a nice boss i am LOL. any ideas??

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Ok you have two (2) units, you had motors on both units rebuilt. Now are you having problems with just one of the units or is it both of them. Were they spreading fine before you rebuilt them. When did you install the vibrator. Is this on just one unit. Have you checked the amps the motor is pullling. Do you have a reastat on the spreader if so is it working.

Tileman

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
where do i look for a restat, and when i first changed the harness the salt was flying, now its only going 3 or 4 ft. if theer is a bad connection at the battery will this cause this, i just but in a 160 amp alt and dual batterys so i shouldnt have any problems with not having enough power

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
depending on the controler in cab, if it is a big box it may be insided of it, or is it a switch and a knob you adjust for the speed. It should be in the cab.
why did you change the harnes. was it broken

Tileman

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i never had the right harness i had a make shift one, and it stoped working so i bought the real harness for it and when i put it on the spreader was humming and throwing salt 30 feet but now its 3 feet and its the controler that has the dial and the display and the on/off and burst button

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Sounds like the controler my be your problem. Does it make any differance if you move the control knob. Sounds like it is running on the low setting.

Is the burst working?

Tileman

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Those spreaders are single stage & designed to spread dry bagged material. Bulk is generally wet, and therefore heavier. So it won't spread as far. Maybe try using the correct materials or maybe try to get a 2 stage tailgater for the bulk, if that problem is more than you want to deal with.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
is there anyway of turning my spreaders into 2 stage spreaders

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
also if i invest in a real vibrator will that help with the salt flowing better i can get the vibrators for the tail gate spreaders for $175 for 1 or $145 if i buy 3

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Can you hot wire the motor direct to test and see if it will throw the salt farther? I would not buy a new vibrator until you know what is causing the problem. My guess it would be the controller. I run buk salt in my Buyers square spreader with out any problems with my homemade vibrator.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Any updates??

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yeah the update is i have to get a v-box because im using bulk salt. the mini-pro575 doesnt like the wet bulk that i have been getting

1 - 14 of 14 Posts