Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok boys.
have a tech question for you.
i'm thinking of switching from my dialup to cable.
I have always run dialup. i have older computers. My question is not being answered with the FAQ on the service. Will I need to get something for my computers like a networking card or something or will this service just plug into my modem hookup and it will fly.. i'm real green with this cable stuff and i don't want any suprises..
Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
The cable modem plugs into your cable, then a network cable plugs into the network card on your computer.

If your machine has Windows 2000 or XP, chances are good that it has a network card. (The plug looks like a larger version of the phone connection)

If it doesn't have a card they can be had cheap at any of the big-box electronics outfits or online.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
We went from dialup to cable and then to DSL and I don't remember ever having to add hardware in the box to make it work. The cable company and DSL both provided a modem and cabling with their package. Cable sent a tech to install the modem, DSL did it with a plug and play, do it yourself setup. Both modems were tied to the computer with a cable using what looks like an oversized phone jack. Maybe if you've got that sort of connector on the back of the computer you would be all set to hook it up, if not you wold need to add something internally?

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The cable modem plugs into your cable, then a network cable plugs into the network card on your computer.

If your machine has Windows 2000 or XP, chances are good that it has a network card. (The plug looks like a larger version of the phone connection)

If it doesn't have a card they can be had cheap at any of the big-box electronics outfits or online.
This computer has the network card and of course it says it's unplugged.
The older computer will need a card then.. i hope i have the right slots for it LOL
Thank you

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
Can you get Verizon FIOS ? The 20/5 MBPS speed make cable ancient technology !

·
Registered
530 Posts
Bill, while I have heard good things about the Fios service, why do you NEED something that fast? Im on verizon's slowest DSL and it never holds me up. Best of all, its only $15/month. I just can see how getting something marginally faster is worth the extra cost. maybe you can help me see how?

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mike, what is the computer your trying to add the card too ? You would need an open pci slot on your motherboard. Shoot out the make and model.
I built this about 8 years ago. I believe i have a pci slot in it available or i'll pull the modem out of it or something. Been so long since i had the side off it i forgot what i have actually have in it. My new dell has the network card in it already so thats not a problem there as long as they give me the right setup parameters for the cable modem etc. i forgot what i have for a motherboard. i'll have to dig through the paperwork with the dust on it.

Chuck , the modem is not usb compatible but that sounds like a slick setup.
I've always done dialup so this is a new adventure for me.

Bill, Verizon FIOS might be available but i have cable in the house already so i can go with a all in one package and save money. i'll have 4 times as many channels and plus unlimited phone. then i can call everyone in LTS and shoot the breeze. MMMMMMMMMMM Who will I call FIRST !!!!! :)

·
Registered
318 Posts
If you are going to hook up both computer you will also need a router. This will also add wireless access for you as non-wireless routers went the way of the dinosaurs. Once you have high speed you will wonder how you got by without it.

·
Registered
270 Posts
All this hype about Verizon/VIOS, yeah ok.

You have to go buy a brand new computer, rewire your entire house to Cat5e or better, and sit behind the computer and actually notice the difference!!!

The service is only as good as the equipment it is going to be running.

Let me make this easier in your language, 8611 on a Hyundai.:D

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you are going to hook up both computer you will also need a router. This will also add wireless access for you as non-wireless routers went the way of the dinosaurs. Once you have high speed you will wonder how you got by without it.
Yeup i know about the router, And like why didn't i switch years ago to high speed? because i didn't need it. but now with the phone the way it is and me calling long distance now it makes sense. And now i'll be spoiled too :wink

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
All this hype about Verizon/VIOS, yeah ok.

You have to go buy a brand new computer, rewire your entire house to Cat5e or better, and sit behind the computer and actually notice the difference!!!

The service is only as good as the equipment it is going to be running.

Let me make this easier in your language, 8611 on a Hyundai.:D

Yes , Yes (did it myself) and yes notice a big difference !
THe technology is great ! Copper wire is dead !

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Copper is not deed its just dieing. There are still some places in this country that you can not even get DSL or Cable let alone FIOS. So some of us in the great verizon net work are still using tin cans and a string.

Even verizon wireless is not worth trying to get because my dial up is still faster,
I'm to far out to hit the towers and get good wireless feed.

So sure glad all you guys out east can get it all but some of us are still in the dark. This little area of Verzion's is the ugly step child we always get anything last.

Good Luck Mike from what I have heard your going to love it.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Mike,
If you get the wireless router, then I would say to get a wireless USB adapter for the older computer. You can put the router close to the newer computer and use the hardwire to get the faster speed of the wire vs. the wireless and then use the wireless USB on the older PC .. presuming it has a USB port. Easy to install, and no need to open the case. And still faster than dial-up!!

·
Banned
3,450 Posts
I built this about 8 years ago. I believe i have a pci slot in it available or i'll pull the modem out of it or something. Been so long since i had the side off it i forgot what i have actually have in it. My new dell has the network card in it already so thats not a problem there as long as they give me the right setup parameters for the cable modem etc. i forgot what i have for a motherboard. i'll have to dig through the paperwork with the dust on it.

Chuck , the modem is not usb compatible but that sounds like a slick setup.
I've always done dialup so this is a new adventure for me.

Bill, Verizon FIOS might be available but i have cable in the house already so i can go with a all in one package and save money. i'll have 4 times as many channels and plus unlimited phone. then i can call everyone in LTS and shoot the breeze. MMMMMMMMMMM Who will I call FIRST !!!!! :)
Wohhhhhhh!!! Hold your horses!

First of all, which cable company?

Dont get too wrapped up in the bundle idea. The cable companies want you to believe their VOIP phone service is the best thing since sliced bread. Have you read any reviews about this service though? Both vonage and comcast VOIP phone service that I have experience with are plagued with dropped calls, hit or miss connections, garbled voices, etc. I dont have any first-hand experience with any other cable companies, but in general, VOIP technology needs some perfecting, there are huge numbers of dissatisfied VOIP users. Sure, they've got some neat features, and if you're calling long distance constantly, the unlimited is a nice feature, but at the cost of reliability. I will take my twisted pair analog phone service any day of the week, I need to know that when someone calls my number, my phone will ring, and when I pick up the phone, I'll have a dial tone. If you're only after the unlimited long distance, and you spend more than $25/month on long distance, get an extra line thru Vonage which works thru your cable internet connection and keep your landline for local calls and for when Vonage doesn't work (yes, it will happen, trust me).

If you're set on doing the all-3 bundle, wait to port your home phone number. Use the number the cable company gives you for at least a few weeks. Keep the old copper phone line while you try out the VOIP phone service from the cable company, you can always port your phone number later if you happen to like the VOIP...

As for cable internet, do it, and dont look back. I'll never give up my cable high speed internet. I would like faster upload speeds (limited by comcast to 256kb) due to the large audio and image files I upload regularly. Download speeds are regulated more by the computer's processor and the server that the information is on. Most people will not notice a difference between 4meg service and anything higher. Downloading a lot of music on the other hand, I've heard there's a noticable difference between DSL and FIOS. Also, I've had bad experiences with DSL, lots of reliability and speed issues.

As far as connecting your 2 computers, the easiest way will be a wired router. If your computer is 8 years old, it probably has a network card. If not, it's not hard to add one. Connecting a cable modem to a computer with a network card is very easy, connect the ethernet cable, run the wizard, and you're online. You can do wireless as mentioned, but securing a wireless router to keep people like me out can be complicated for the novice... :wink

TV service is a horse a piece. All the channels come from the same place, the difference is the quality of the delivery. In most cases, there's no difference between satellite and cable, other than packaging, which can mean a difference in what you pay. Most TV providers pay a similar price for the channels, so pricing should be real close for the same channels. Unfortunately, some companies put the channels you want in a higher price package to sell you all the channels you really could care less about with the channels you want...

Check with your cable company and see if they have a promo for cable and internet. I wouldn't be persuaded by the "all-3" bundle if you put any value in a reliable phone line. Oh, and before I forget, READ THE FINE PRINT, and know what the price will be when the promo for all the 3 ends. I deal with people every day who "didn't realize" this $99 deal was gonna cost them $180 a month after 6 months... :rolleyes: And before I get blasted, I work for the cable company, this is all first hand advice! :wink

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've been talking to about 6 people in the area that have this package and phone system. all have been very happy with it. No issues.
Like anything else it has it's risks. I wired router is planned. I'll be getting a card and the router this weekend and i'll have to do some rewiring for the cable and phone to meet in a common location. But it's time to do some upgrade and i really want some more programing i like.
I take ALL your input seriously and really appreciate the response.
Couldn't ask for better......... :waving

·
Banned
3,450 Posts
I've been talking to about 6 people in the area that have this package and phone system. all have been very happy with it. No issues.
Like anything else it has it's risks. I wired router is planned. I'll be getting a card and the router this weekend and i'll have to do some rewiring for the cable and phone to meet in a common location. But it's time to do some upgrade and i really want some more programing i like.
I take ALL your input seriously and really appreciate the response.
Couldn't ask for better......... :waving
Glad I can help Mike, happy provide my insight. Hopefully the VOIP phone works for you, perhaps they've got a better system in place where you're at, they sure have problems with it around here...

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wow

Well it's in.
Had to replace some splitters outside from the original install 15 years ago.

Have good signal according to the internet ping. :)
Funny, called my mom to see how the phone sounded. Well it sounded like crap.
I said like #$%#%$. Come to find out my mother has a bad cold. ROFLMAO
Like the time I need to find out how things sound and she lets me down. ;)
Anyway so far I'm very happy.

Have to see if i can get my router running for Carol's computer now.

Now i can talk to people without worrying about the phone bill and watch the You tube presentations from LTS.
What A World hehehehe

1 - 20 of 20 Posts