Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have a 2004 Chev dual cab long box 3500 Dmax.
Im looking at a gooseneck flat bed rated to 10 ton.
Will use it for ss / tractor and supplies etc (Just need some more room to transport stuff) and to pick up hay.
Do i need a CDL???
Sorry for the stupid question in advance.

·
Registered
605 Posts
If your trailer carries more than 10K lbs, then yes. I'm not positive if thats considered registered weight, capability by trailer manufacture or actual scale weight.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Your trailer is rated at 20,000 pounds. So, yes, you would meet the first requirement:

You need a CDL if you operate a:

Combination vehicle with a gross combination weight rating (GCWR*) of 26,001 or more pounds, provided that the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR*) of the towed unit is greater than 10,000 pounds.

Single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds.

Vehicle transporting 16 or more persons (including the driver).

Vehicle of any size carrying hazardous materials in quantities large enough to require placards.

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
There is never a stupid question , only the one not asked.

I wish that they would raise the trailer weight like they did with the trucks . or at least say if you have a clase B cdl then you can tow any trailer combo but semi. to me that would make sense you would still not have a tratortrailer license but you would be leagal so what is the differeance between towing upt to a 10K trailer and a 20K the same size none do you do anything different ?no.
just like uhaul how much weight do you think people put into those 26' box trucks and get away with it and they are untrained tlo boot.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
There are also different endorsements that you have for a CDL

Air brakes, Hazmat, Double and Triple trailers, and Passenger. That is some of what Mick is talking about.

If you are pulling the trailer even empty you would need a CDL as it goes by Gross weight of vehicle and trailer if applicable.

There are plenty of online study guides to help. IF you need links pm me.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Without a doubt you need it. Take your truck (12500 GVWR?)+ the 20000,and your over 26,000 combined.so you need it.You can get away with up to a 15,000 gooseneck with out a CDL IF the truck/trailer registered GCWR is under 26,000 .It goes off whatevers higher the GVWR tag OR the registered weight,added up.

·
Banned
622 Posts
John DiMartino said:
.You can get away with up to a 15,000 gooseneck with out a CDL IF the truck/trailer registered GCWR is under 26,000 .It goes off whatevers higher the GVWR tag OR the registered weight,added up.
Wrong . You need a CDL if your trailer is 10,000 + lbs. Regardless of whats towing it.:wink

9999lbs truck with 9999lbs trailer in tow is the only way to operate commercialy without a dot health card or no CDL or no USDOT numbers.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
In Il if your in a 10k or over truck you also need a medical card. Go to your local SOS office and get a copy of the CDL study guide its free. It does a good job of telling you what you have to have for what. Also while you can take your CDL in a large pick up with trailer I'd recomend trying to get ahold of something with air brakes so you can get that endorsement if you can. If not its not a real big deal but air brakes is nice to have as then you can pretty much drive anything. A cdl cost 60$ and a regular licens cost 10$.....the worse part is just taking the test but its all pretty easy.

What needs a CDL in IL?

And combo vehicle with a GRWR of over 26000# providing the GVRW of the vehicle being towed is in excess of 10k pounds
Any single vehicle with a GVWR over 10k
A placard vehicle carying haz mat stuff
A vehicle designed to haul more that 15 people

There are exceptions for some people like farmers, fire fighters, military people and such.....

·
Registered
255 Posts
When I got my CDL, the air brake test to have the restriction removed was a written test. It was not part of the skills test.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
I just spoke to a DOT official at the local Construciton Show. I was pulled over this past summer towing my tractor n a 12k trailer with my 6500. The 6500 is rated 25950lbs just under CDL. Because I was towing a trailer over 10k I needed to have my Class A CDL. The only reason I needed the class A lic is because the trailer is over 10k. Not because of the combination. I then asked him If I had a trailer with a 10k or less GVW would I need to have a class A lic. He said no. I asked him to show me this in the Instruction Manual and this is how it was stated in the CT CDL Manual:

Connecticut Class A
Any Combination of Vehicles with a (gross combined weight rating) GCWR of 26,001 or more pounds provided the GVWR of the vehicle being towed is in excess of 10,000lbs.

Connecicut Class B
Any Single Vehicle with a GVWR of 26001 or more lbs or any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess of 10,000lb GVWR.

So I asked the DOT guy again, So I can pull a trailer without a CDL with my 6500 as long as the trailer is not rated over 10k? And he said yes. I will just need my Med Card.

Anyone Need a flat trailer??

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
How often would you pull something lighter than 5 or 6 k on a trailer of under 5 tons that would be worth not getting your class A?

With your 6500 and a borrowed air brake trailer you could easily go up to the farmers market in hartford and take the road test for it... no reason to limit yourself I feel.

Also CDL is not just a state program but Federal Standards. You will see the same from state to state.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
My 6500 doen't have air. When I bought it I didn't know I could have air without a CDL. I am still planning on getting my CDL, I actually have a call in to a guy who pretty much walks you though everything for a reasonable price. He is in pretty good with the instructors. And mades the test a little less stressfull.

I am caught between a rock and a hard place right now and dont' know what to do.:beatsme I weighted my L48 Kubota the other day and it is about 9,000lbs. If I get a 10k trailer, I will be overweight. The trailers usually way 2k themselves. That puts me at 11k. If I do get my CDL I will probably get a 10ton tag for bigger machines.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
That does make it very hard to pull an air brake trailer with out air in the truck.

What about a trade for a different truck with air? It will give you more options at least. Just a thought, however knowing your not seeing the gravy money right now it does not help to spend more just yet I am assuming.

I guess for the short term you will have to find someone with a truck trailer combo to haul it for you until your legit on the license.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
hlntoiz said:
My 6500 doen't have air. When I bought it I didn't know I could have air without a CDL. I am still planning on getting my CDL, I actually have a call in to a guy who pretty much walks you though everything for a reasonable price. He is in pretty good with the instructors. And mades the test a little less stressfull.

I am caught between a rock and a hard place right now and dont' know what to do.:beatsme I weighted my L48 Kubota the other day and it is about 9,000lbs. If I get a 10k trailer, I will be overweight. The trailers usually way 2k themselves. That puts me at 11k. If I do get my CDL I will probably get a 10ton tag for bigger machines.
Just get your CDL A and be done with it.Any trailer capable of legally ,and safely carrying a 9K machine is going to weigh closer to 3000lbs minimum.My 5 ton 18ft flat bed trailer(9990GVRW) is farily light,has no extras,and it and it weighs 2200.That leaves me 7800 on the deck legally.Putting the Kubota all the way forward,(to keep the axles,and tires from getting the majority)when towing with heavy truck like the 6500,just stresses the trailer tongue even more than it was meant to take,provided you have the room to get it forward.
Id consider the 6 ton you had the absolute minimum you should be using.SOme companys will rebadge a 6 or 7 ton with a 5 ton plate,(9990GVWR)but then your going to get an overweight ticket from a smart officer......Your going to pay either way in the end,do it right,get the A CDL.

·
Registered
979 Posts
cat320 said:
I wish that they would raise the trailer weight like they did with the trucks . or at least say if you have a clase B cdl then you can tow any trailer combo but semi. to me that would make sense you would still not have a tratortrailer license but you would be leagal so what is the differeance between towing upt to a 10K trailer and a 20K the same size none do you do anything different ?no.
just like uhaul how much weight do you think people put into those 26' box trucks and get away with it and they are untrained tlo boot.
Rick, unless your state has stricter laws, you do not need CDL to tow trailer over 10K as long as the combination GVWR of truck and trailer is 26K and under.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
Correct. ANY Vehicle with GCVWR on the door sticker or on the reg under 26k DOES not need a CDL B or A for any trailer until the toatl weight exceeds 26k, then your a class a. Been there, done that. Dot and I have hashed this out at length. If they say you do, get it in writing and ask questions, they will always say yes until you show them the law.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all of your help guys.....I guess i wont be bidding on that trailer tomorrow.All is a bit stuppid when you think of all of the big travel trailers,horse trailers etc that can be driven all over the country with no CDL.

Thanks again
Scott.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Section 1: Commercial Driver License (CDL)
Program and Qualification

This section is for all commercial drivers

this section covers: *Licensing and test procedures
*Other Safety Act Rules

On October 26,1986, Congress passed the Commercial Moter Vehicle Safty Act. This law requires each state to meet the same minimum standards for commercial driver's licensing. The standards require moter vehicle drivers to hold a Commercials Drivers license (CDL). A "commercial moter vehicle" means a moter vehicle or combination used in commerce to transport passengers or property. you must have a CDL to opperate any of the f ollowing Commercial Motor Vehicles (CMV's):
* A vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of more than 26,000 pounds
* A combination of trailer and towing unit which exeeds 26,000 pounds GVWR with a trailer exeeding 10,000 pounds GVWR
* A vehicle designed to transport more than 15 persons (including the driver)
* Any size vehicle which transports hazardous materials which requires placarding
SEE PAGE 1-3 TO DETERMINE THE SPECIFIC CLASS OF LICENSE REQUIRED FOR YOUR NEEDS.
Exemptions
the following vehicles are not considered "commercial motor vehicles" and therefore exemt from the commercial licensing requirements:
* Farm vehicles owned and opperated by a farmer within 150 miles radius of the farm.
*Emergency vehicles of a fire department
*Military vehicals operated by military personel. You must be 18 years of age to get a CDL. You must be at least 21 years of age to haul hazardous miterials. to drive interstate, you must be at least 21 years of age. To obtain a commercial driver permit, you must be at least 18 years of age and have passed the appropriate written tests.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Dave,

Stephen is in NY.. and there is a slight variance over there...

When do I need a New York CDL?
You need a CDL to drive a commercial motor vehicle (CMV), which is defined as:

* A single vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 26,001 pounds or more

* A trailer with a GVWR of more than 10,000 pounds if the gross combination weight rating is 26,001 pounds or more

* A vehicle designed to transport 16 or more occupants, including the driver, or a vehicle defined as a bus

* Any vehicle that requires hazardous materials placards

You can obtain a Class A, Class B, or Class C commercial license, depending on the type of vehicle you will be driving. If you drive a CMV without a commercial license, you could go to jail or incur a court fine of $5,000.

·
Registered
979 Posts
What is the slight variance in this law? From what I read, they all described the same thing.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts