Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone installed strobes in your clearance lights? If so where did you get them and are you happy with them? In MD, I only see probably 1 in every 100 plow trucks with strobes, but I was thinking it might be nice for a little more visibility.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I have seen one guy do that as you described. Jerre Heyer did it on his F350, but when he came to Taconic BBQ last fall, he had the strobes running and it was burning/melting the len of clearance light! It is because the strobes generate alot of heat, and with the strobe in a such tiny space, they have no way of cooling off unless you drill a vent hole in the clearance lens (ouch). They may look cool, but I would suggest you to look into magnetic mounted roof beacon or strobe. Much more simple that way, cost would be less, and significant increased visibility (360 degrees).

·
Registered
622 Posts
My friend has them on his 95 chevy. He has had no problems with melting. He also has them in cargo lamps above the rear window.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
the main reason his probaly overheated was becuase it was a warm day and they were running most of the day while he had his truck at the bbq...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Greetings! First post...

Saw a Whelen strobe kit on ebay for about $200. Came with four flash heads and power supply. Just need to drill the holes in your corner lights and install.

Has a buy-it-now option. Was going to put my order in shortly.

Never seen them on plow trucks, just cop cars :D but think they would work great. The little rotating light on the cab just doesn't cut it in daylight...

Jeff

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
You can get them a little cheaper than that on ebay there is a guy who has a store on there.If you get those make sure they are the 90 watt ones.

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
I am running the hide aways in the rear tails on my 2500HD red/amber the back ups are too small for the tube they are very bright. Also have a 10 strobe whelen 9000 on the cab. They have gotta see my truck day or night. Plowing gas stations can get tricky.

For the clearance light you might want to look for the smaller strobe tubes that are made. They fit great in the rear dome so I guess they would do great in the cleareance lights too.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Link

Could someone provide a link to which strobe should be used in the clearance light, this is something I am considering and want to make sure I don't have a melt down...thanks for everything!

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
The standard hide-a-way should work if you are willing to sacrifice the clearance light. I measured, and concluded that the hassle wasn't worth it. Too easy to mount other lamps elsewhere.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Ok..I was thinking having the two outer clearance lights as the strobes, and the middle ones would function regular, not sure if this is a good idea, but it seems like a good idea. When you say "Measured" do you mean measured to make sure it would fit?

I am completely new to this, I have always had a magnet mounted strobe until this year.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I took one apart and was studying clearance, air gap around the tubes, and also routing the strobe cable to it. Too much grief to drop the headliner and route everything. Also didn't want to lose outside clearance.

Opted for LED's inside instead to go with the hide-a-ways in the corners.

·
Registered
620 Posts
JeffWoehrle said:
Greetings! First post...

Never seen them on plow trucks, just cop cars :D but think they would work great. The little rotating light on the cab just doesn't cut it in daylight...

Jeff
I think you'll be a bit disapointed with strobes there in daylight. Unless you get a powerfull (more expensive) power pack, a roof mounted beacon will be much more visable in daylight

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
LED's are the way to go. But if you really want strobes, http://www.strobesnmore.com/ has some nice kits at reasonable prices. The 90 watt are definitely the way to go if you're doing strobes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts