Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw that this subject has been touched on before, but not in depth, or answering all of my questions. I am looking into adding a strobe at each corner, and I am positive that there are people with the same questions as me, so here goes:
What all is needed to create a strobe system? I have LED lights surrounding my truck (18 total), and I was wondering if I could just tie about 4-6 of them into strobes? Do you need special strobe bulbs, or will an LED hold up to it? There are some power packs going for very reasonable prices on ebay, and I was wondering how the system works-switches, relays, certain lamps, etc. I am hoping that I can just buy a 4 or 2 head strobe power supply, and tie 2 LED lights to each output, since the LED's require less draw. If someone could clear this up, I would really appreciate it-I don't want my a** end getting hit by minivans anymore!
Thanks

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
There are some LED flasher units with a high flash rate that work pretty good. A strobe power supply will not flash a LED. You would need strobe light, three part wire, for a strobe power supply. I run a combo of strobe and regular flashing lights. I do alot of commercial lots, where at times there is traffic in the lots, (gas stations, KFC, Taco Bell, Pizza Hut) and I have been hit in the lot at the gas station twice. So I run lights, back up alarms, back up lights, and if I could do more I would.

The all in one units, and LED flashers on Ebay are good deals. I have purchased all of my lightings from Ebay and have had no problems.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I have LED lights surrounding my truck
What type of LED lights do you have? Are they like marker lights or soomething else?

·
Registered
132 Posts
strobes

As was stated before, there are 3 main parts to a strobe system:

1) Power Supply: These come in many different configurations. the basics are all the same. There is # of outlets, each strobe light requires one outlet. There is also power output, measured in watts. For example.....If you have a 4 outlet, 60 watt power supply, you will have 15 watts per strobe head. (60 divided by 4)

2.) Strobe Cables: A three conductor wire, that carries the high voltage from the power supply to the strobe head. There are 2 types of connectors you can have on the cables. First is a standard connector that is not waterproof, and the second being a waterproof connector (reccomended)

3) A strobe "flash" tube, or light. You can either have a "hide-a-way" tube, which mounts in an existing light on your vehicle. ie: brake light, reverse light, marker light..... Or you can get a strobe light (strobe tube and one of many varieties of domes etc.) Most strobe lights have self contained power supplies, but you can get ones that run off of your power supply.

Generally speaking, I think most of us that have a strobe setup, use power supplies mainly for that hide a way strobes. 99% of the strobe lightbars all have internal power supplies.

Personally I am thinking about switching over to a Tomar "Neobe" power supply. They have an excellent warranty, and believe that the light it puts out will be far superior over my double flash (25 watt/2 head) power supply. Others on this site praise the Tomar supplies, and after reading Tomars website thouroghly, I was sold. Very informative website. tomar.com

Hope this helps....
Matt

·
Registered
979 Posts
You cannot use strobe power supply to flash LEDs. If you did, it probably would blow out the LEDs. What you need is a solid state flasher unit. Federal Signal make them in "halogen-style" and "strobe-style" Intelli-Flash unit. You probably would most likely to want the "strobe-style" unit to have strobe patterns as you mentioned. However, I am curious as John is, what kind of LEDs do you have, because it sound like you are using them as clearance/marker lights.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am running PM Pirhana LEDs. They fit perfect on the lip on the underside of the body. They are 1/2" X 3", with two diodes. Yes, I am using them as clearance lights, but would like to get a few of them to flash intermittently (spelling?) Those Federal Signal flashers that you speak of, they would work for LED's?

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
I don't know much about strobes, but I'm pretty sure they dont run on a constant current like LEDs or filament bulbs. You could probably get them to "flash" on a regular old flasher. You want them to flash alternately? Use a flasher to trip a relay on and off- one side on the 87 post, one on the 87a post. As the flasher powers up the relay, it connects 87, when the flasher quits sending power, the relay relaxes and sends power to the 87a terminal. I don't know how fast you can get a flasher to go... that might be the only problem...

Someone educate me if this won't work, it was just an idea...

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's what I was thinking of, too. Only my thought was string together about 3 flashers, so you get a quick flash. Just need more info on those Federal Signals.

·
LetsTalkSnow.com - Moderator
4,902 Posts
You'll need a flasher that does not depend on current load to function. LEDs draw next to nothing in current, not enough to make a standard flasher flash.

Those marker lights won't be very bright for warning lights.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Pelican said:
You'll need a flasher that does not depend on current load to function. LEDs draw next to nothing in current, not enough to make a standard flasher flash.

That's why you would need something like solid state flasher that I just mentioned earlier.

Those marker lights won't be very bright for warning lights.
I agree .... that's why I asked. You would be better off buying a better and brighter LEDs that would be dedicated for light warning.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Well ... I do not mean to response in BOLD, but since the 3 minutes time limit does not give me enough time to correct it, so I never got a chance to correct it.

While I am talking about it, I would like to know why we are given a such short period of time to edit our posts? Alot of time we need more time than that to edit after we read our mistake(s). I think 15 minutes time limit would be reasonable, wouldn't you agree?

·
Registered
979 Posts
Matt, here is the link to Federal Signal Heavy Duty website. You will find a section for their flasher units, and also another section for LEDs too.

http://www.fedsig.com/heavyduty/products.html

Their flasher can also work on most other LEDs, as long as the LEDs is standard, or as known as "dumb", meaning it have no internal flahser, which is what you will need the flasher unit for.

I have a few pairs of 911EP Stars, and they are what will be hooked up to F/S Intelliflash unit. Very small and compact, but very bright and sleek!

http://www.911ep.com/ledstar.html

Good luck!

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think that these will be bright enough. I tried to get a pic, but I don't know how to turn the flash off on the digital. They are probably 4-5 times brighter than my taillights. Well, now that I think about it, During the day, they aren't really the get-your-attention type. They would be perfect for night. How much are we looking at for full strobes in each headlight/taillight?

·
Registered
979 Posts
In most states, it is illegal to put any kind of warning lights in the headlights, unless it is an authorized emergency vehicle. You could put it in the taillight, but check with your state law to see which color(s) is allowed. Amber most likely will be allowed, but as for red, some states allow them as long as they flash stimulatenously like four way flasher. Clear lens would most likely be illegal, unless ur plowing on a private lot which cops cannot do anything about it.

A good setup for 90watts, 6 heads power supply with four clear strobe tubes and cables would go for around $250-$300.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks, I'll have to check locally. The reason I wanted to hook it up to my LED's, is because it was cheaper. Oh well, have to wait till next year, for now I'll just make another payment on the truck:mad: Thanks again-if anything, I at least understand them.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
stonebrooke sells strobes. don't know how they are on price, though.

·
Registered
609 Posts
whats a good wattage per head? there is a guy with 4 head 75 watt systems on ebay for $195 I just dont know how bright they are, I am debating on getting a code 3 halogen mini-bar or jst getting strobes

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Nate I think you want about 20W/head, but no less than 15W for it to still be effective.

·
Registered
619 Posts
wxmn6 said:
While I am talking about it, I would like to know why we are given a such short period of time to edit our posts? Alot of time we need more time than that to edit after we read our mistake(s). I think 15 minutes time limit would be reasonable, wouldn't you agree?
I agree... 3 minutes is way too short. If this was a flamming and accusations forum then maybe 2 minutes so things couldn't be changed but here we don't do that or have flamming issues to deal with. At least 10 minutes would be helpful as well. The 3 minutes has screwed me up with correcting image attachments as well.

·
Site Founder
5,721 Posts
I just increased it to 10 Minutes. And you hit it right on Roger... It was to limit the chance of someone changing what they said, to make others look bad, or because they looked stupid after saying it (not due to typos), or didn't get the response they expected, etc.

I have seen it happen in the past, elsewhere, until the time limit was dropped to 3 minutes.

I saw another thread where someone asked to increase the time limit, but this is the only one that came up in my search.

I will add it to the Support Forum too.

~Chuck

1 - 20 of 20 Posts