Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember a few pretty good stories from last year, anyone want to share them again, or have new ones?

I remember pulling around to the back of a large warehouse I plow last year, and seeing a little toyota or acura? doing reverse donuts in the wide open lot. It's almost pitch black back there, only a little light from the street lights, its on the corner. As soon as he saw me, he stopped spinning and ground it into 1st and bolted from the lot. The funny part was, that he was so scared (I assume) that he took off through the grass and over the curb to get back to the street. I got a good laugh from that one.

Anyone else got a good story? I know there are some that are better than mine....:eek:

·
AKA "Iceman"
821 Posts
Strangest Vehicular sighting while plowing....

Ambulabce doing donuts in a hospital parking lot during a storm.

Imagine this big boxed ambulance strobes going full blast doing donuts in the hospital lot at 2:00 am.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Well i was a co pilot with my unckle in a 10 wheeler dump doing fish tails in the lot at his workplace. Maybe someone saw us lol :burnout

·
Registered
908 Posts
Had a lot that was a frequent "place of business for the working girls". I always had another truck with me so we would sneek up on them from both side and hit all the lights. Nothing but @**holes and elbows heading for the front seat.

Or the apartment complex where you had to be the first one there to get to the last building so you could bang your plow a few times and the girl that lived on the 3rd floor would pull the blinds to the slider open and stand there with nothing on. I think she figured out what was going on when she did it for the last time and there were 6 trucks sitting in the lot. The other guys didnt belive us so we waited to get a bunch of guys together. Should have kept it to myself.

·
Site Founder
5,721 Posts
Probably not that strange, but seeing a herd of about 20 deer running across a half plowed 20+ acre parking lot at 2am. The lot was right on a highway, and the deer were coming from the direction of the highway, like they crossed the road with the divider wall, and heavy traffic..... Then again, in a snowstorm, at 2am, maybe they did?

~Chuck

·
Registered
596 Posts
Nothing nearly a spicy as that, but it sure woke me up! There's even a Newspaper story about it. I'd just driven right past the spot not 2 minutes earlier, and turned into the parking lot. As I was getting out of the truck, a city bus stopped and let off a handful of passengers about 25 feet away. I was turned toward the truck, about to climb into the bed to load the salter when I heard, BOOM!! There was a flash of light bright enough to trip off the photocells that turn on the streetlights for a half a block in either direction. It was an explosion in an underground electrical vault, located beneath the sidewalk. It lifted the lid off the vault and threw it four or five feet away. The flames were as high as the second floor of the building for the first couple minutes.

I've heard Fourth of July firewoks that were louder, but nothing gets your attention the same way an *unexpected* explosion does... :eek:

·
Registered
866 Posts
You're not going to tell the local ambulance corps that I drive for now are you?!?! I thought nobody saw us!!

Seriously though- I did kinda scare a plow truck on the highway once responding to an accident. We had to go past the accident and hit a u-turn to go back to it. It was during a storm and when we got to the u-turn there was so much snow in it you could see where the rescue with 16-18" of ground clearance had gone through and was pushing the snow with thier front bumper. My attendant asked me if we were going to make it- I told her not to worry, dropped it down into 2nd and hammered it. We made it through- sideways, and came out facing northbound in the southbound lane!! I then had to throw it in reverse for a classic highway turnaround and then go to the scene- there was a plow truck about a mile away that saw the whole thing- I'm just glad he wasn't any closer though- didn't need another accident!!!

I have been known to put the ambulance in places nobody else could( and get it out safely) and I have never had an accident to date!

Knock on wood!!

Bill

·
Registered
596 Posts
Tried to add this to my post on edit, but didn't make the three minute limit: I was referring to Crash's story. Chuck beat me to the next post. Deer are interesting, but I don't usually think of them as spicy... ;)

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm trying to think of a story but I don't think I have any. I guess that's what I get for plowing residentials in almost the middle of nowhere.

I sure love hearing these stories though!

-Tim

·
Registered
610 Posts
never had a lady stand naked at the front window when your plowing?

sorry thats my fantasy
:shades

john

·
Registered
905 Posts
Had a lady greet me at the end of her driveway at 10 o'clock at night to pay me,Whats so strange about that you ask:confused: ,Well,I'm guessing she was a little intoxicated,she was bare foot and wearing a robe with no underware,how do i know she wasn't wearing her tighty whities?She also neglected to tie the front of her robe!,I politely thanked her and went about my business:p

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was driving on a residential street between sites, snow still coming down pretty good. Coming around a gentle curve right towards me was a county police car. I stopped and let him coast/slide into the curb on my right side. The police officer got out of his car and thanked me for not hitting him. He admitted that I was under control and he was not. I just smiled and told him 'no problem' and let him get himself turned around.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I was flashed by a lady on a second floor apartment next to a lot I was plowing, and the same season flashed by another girl at another complex. Last year was a good season.:shades

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Chuck, I'm not sure which you're referring to, but this was a good one:

Situation - I’m getting ready to sand a road and a lady at the house next to the road flags me down. She was in the process of buying this house. She says she’s from Georgia and knows nothing about snow so could I plow for her? She’ll have her car in the garage that’s straight in from the road about fifty feet. No cars outside. Ok, I explain how I’ll plow it and where I’ll push it. Then she can just open her garage door and drive out. Basically, this amounts to driving up to the garage, backdrag, push parallel to the garage about fifty feet and pile it. Then clean the entrance. No big deal - $20. She half-joking says she is going to buy a snowblower for that much. Now, when she moves in she can’t park her car in the garage because her daughter is storing furniture there. So the car is parked outside with a friend’s car. Her car is at the very end of the driveway. So now I can’t even get into the driveway. So I get the snow from in front of the car so she can pull into the plowed area, then into the street. Then, run the route and come back after she’s gone to work. The other car might still be there. Then I plow as described. She’s on a 3” trigger and I’d explained how that works.

January - plowed twice, billed and got paid. February - plowed twice billed and got a check with a note: “We were getting ready to call you because we did not think you had plowed at all! We realize there have been trucks & cars in the driveway but we saw no evidence of plowing. Please call me xxx-xxxx.”

I was completely baffled because the driveway is plowed, the garage door is cleared, the entrance and where they park is cleared. There’s a pile of snow about six feet high and twenty feet wide from where I pushed. I went up this evening and checked although I’d driven by it at least once a day for the past four days. My wife asked me if I was plowing the right house.

Finally got ahold of her to figure out what the trouble is. Turns out what she is talking about is BEFORE she leaves. She asked when I was plowing. I explained what I was doing and that I came back after she’d left for work. (Remember the car is parked right at the end of the driveway by the street).

“OH, AFTER“.

Talked to her a little more. She admitted she was frustrated that she was paying all this money for plowing and still had to walk in snow and shovel snow to get her car out. Also, she thought I'd get all the snow up. Finally figured she was talking about the packed snow base (this is a gravel drive). She was having a hard time walking on it. Originally, the idea was to go into the attached garage from the house.

I just thought - maybe she wanted me to wake her up at 5:00 to move her car.

I'm going to put some sand on the driveway. Also offered to put her on a 1" trigger but she decided against anything less than 3".

Next year she’ll have a new garage and the cars will be in it.

I just thought it was interesting. I'd never worked with a person who has never seen snow before.

·
Registered
85 Posts
grasshopper said:
I was flashed by a lady on a second floor apartment next to a lot I was plowing, and the same season flashed by another girl at another complex. Last year was a good season.:shades
chris... i'm only 200 miles from you... do you need a sub??????????? lol :p

·
Registered
75 Posts
We were just finishing up one of my estates. Had my truck all the way up the drive loading the blower & spreader when all of a sudden CRACKKKKK!!!!. This huge evergreen snapped. About 3/4 of the tree fell across the drive dumping a load of snow everywhere. Missed us and my truck by about 15 feet. Scared the crap out of us. Now I not only had to pull the tree out of our way to get out, I had to clean up the snow this thing just dumped. From now on when we get those heavey wet snows, we are always looking up.:rolleyes:

Mark

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
These are great stories! I cant believe some of you guys got flashed by girls standing in their windows! How come I cant have luck like that? :D Maybe this year my luck will change, hehe. Mike :)

·
Registered
211 Posts
Well, I have never been flashed :eek: so I will stick with Chuck's line of thought. Not strange, but really cool.

One of the areas we plow is an exclusive gated residential community with really big homes and long driveways. One of these driveways is my favorite out of everywhere we plow. It is up at the top of the ridge, and the driveway is about 1/2 mile through the trees, then around a big circle, and up to the house. A big herd of elk just hangs out in there, and often are grazing right by the driveway, or leaping across it. When we were out plowing on Tuesday, the herd was right there on the way in, then on the way out there were three mule deer hopping across the road. Just down a ways, there were two foxes trotting around, with their coats in full winter glory, and big bushy tails. Of course I did not have the camera with me. :mad:

Over the summer, I met with the owner (we have plowed for him for years) because he changed a little of his landscaping and wanted us to see it before it was covered with snow. But I had to apologize to him for always doing his driveway last, because I save it as a little treat at the end. He got a good chuckle out of that.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Havent really seen anything cool, definatly no women:mad: , but some times I find it pretty cool to watch how hard it is snowing or some real bad road conditiond, because its not somthing you see often.:shades

1 - 20 of 124 Posts