Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
96 2500 w/V8 I would notice a "bump" sound once in a great while from the back right. Loaded up w around 1200 lbs of salt the other day and every little bump makes a bump like something hitting the frame. Tightened up the spare, checked the exhaust, found a detached bump stop on the gas tank, but that wasn't it.
I think I finally found it. The overload spring was just shy of bumping its stop and I believe it would touch that and make the sound.
My question is would new shocks help this out? and does anyone else have this problem? Also, should the overload stops have some kind of soft coating to eliminate this?
Thanks
Scott

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
Do you have the rear sway bar ? or overloads ?

The sway bar links may be making the noise,or it could be the overloads coming into effect.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It does have a rear sway bay though that seems tight. Also factory overloads which is what I think are clunking when touching their stops.

·
Registered
701 Posts
If you've never changed the shocks I would do that too just to rule them out.

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
I don't think there is any proper fix for it,if it is the overloads hitting.Most of them I have seen all make the noise.

Removing the overloads,and adding a set of airbags,or even Timbrens are a better solution,and improve the ride and handling.The airbags are adjustable,which is nice. :D

·
Registered
610 Posts
my overload springs make the same noise
when i put a skid of salt in the back
kind of think it normal
john

·
Registered
357 Posts
Same goes for our 97. It had factory overloads, and clunked when they hit.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Took the weight out and no clunk. Its the overloads, I can live with that.
Thanks guys.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts