Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got a problem wit my 80 blazer.....the thing romes all over the place..... i use all of my lane and some of the shoulder........checked the frame....not craked.......bolts are tight.....i know you can tighten the steering box but not shure how left or RT. with the screw......i'm going to put all new parts on it in feb. but would like to get it a little tigther till then........

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
If your sure there is no play elsewhere in the front end,and that it is the box thats loose ?

You can turn the screw clockwise to tighten it while holding the locking nut.Don't forget to hold the adjustment screw still while you tighten the locking but back up.Try an 1/8 of a turn at a time to see if it improves.

Or you can jack up the truck,disconnect the tie rod at the pitman arm,and sdjust it in one shot.Tighten the adjusting screw until you just start to feel a little drag in the steeing wheel when you go over center.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the guy i got it from had just taken it to schwabs and got new bushing put in it....it has at least one to two inches of play wyle driving..... its like driving in slush.......... havent jacked it up to check it yet might take it to work and use a hyster to get it of the ground...... i'll try the box ajust and see if that helps........thank's chris........P.S. got the subaru 4x4 yesterday.......needs a 6 in. lift and a plow on it but it runs!!!!!:burnout :::cool:

·
Registered
610 Posts
jack it up and check the front end
had a 80 k1500 in my shop
the rod that goes from the pitman arm to the left wheel was bad

dont over tighten the box or the wheel wont return when making
turns:usa :usa :usa

john

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I agree with the guys above, but also check all 4 tires for even tire sizes, even tread wear, and even air pressures. Mike :)

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Just as a reminder, check the frame where the box mounts. If used hard the frame cracks behind the box around the bolt holes. They make repair kits for it that need to be welded in and they also make a brace that goes to the oposite frame rail for extra support.

·
Registered
357 Posts
On our 80 K20, it was the exact same bar that cardoctor was talking about. We had about 45 degrees of play in the wheel, and it cleaned it up to about 10. Then we replaced a ball joint, and we were set. nice and tight now.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i'll take it in to work monday and check it out... should grease it also......tire's are all the same size and make........no vibration at hiway speed......thank's guy's i'll let you know what i find......:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts