Snowplow Forums banner

what kind of edge do you have on your plow?

• Steel

Votes: 120 78.4%
  • Carbide

Votes: 11 7.2%
  • Rubber

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • Urethane

Votes: 29 19.0%
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well lets do a poll and see who is running what, the poll is mutiple choice in case you have more then 1 plow with a different edge. I am just trying to get some real world numbers, thanks.
Nate

·
Registered
434 Posts
Mostly 'U' edges for me, 12 to be exact! I do switch from time to time from steel/'U' edge on my rear plows. Depends on the type of storm, temps, etc.

Chuck B.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
5/8" Steel here, scapes nice and clean, and the price is definately right, for the life of the edge, $65 ain't too bad....

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Steel for me, but would like to try the U.

Everett

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
I have steel right now but would rather go carbide or the urithane.

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
Big Nate's Plowing said:
is it REAL carbide as in the stuff on saw blades? :huh
Not sure of the exact specs on the edges,but they are supposed to be carbide.We get them from Champion machinery,they use them on the road graders.

Judging by the incredible wear we get over steel (they last 4-5 years min),they must have some kind of carbide in them.

·
LetsTalkSnow.com - Moderator
4,902 Posts
Pure carbide would not hold up well as an edge, it would be too brittle and either chip or shatter.

They use high carbon steel for earth moving equipment edges, I don't know the percentages, but it's a blend that makes the steel more durable.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Mostly urethane for the last couple years, except now the two new Blizzard 810s are still steel. As soon as MPT finishes its urethane for them, we will try that .

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
We have 4 steel and 1 urethane. The U blade is on a 7.5 ft Western Pro on a 1/2 T Ford. It works great on gravel/ dirt roads. Doesn't "road grader" in like a steel. Just drop it and go. BUT... I just looked at it this morning. Less than 2 seasons of light to moderate plowing and it is almost worn out. It seems more succeptible to the wear on the far sides not in the middle. This is about 3/4" thick so it may be a little thinner than what it should.
Bottom line- I like it for dirt and gravel, but the wear on this one was worse than steel. Price was easily 2.5 x steel. Thoughts??? :confused:

·
Registered
434 Posts
szorno - I have tested 'U' edges from 1/2"-1 1/2" thick. From the data that I have gathered, I would not put less that a 1" thick 'U' edge on any plow! The ends of the edge are the first to go, cracks, splits, etc. And the 'life' for anything under 1" is quick, with wear patterns that are not very uniform. If you replace it with a 1 1/2" edge, you will see the results that manufactures claim. (IME)

Personally, every new edge I purchase from now on, will be 1 1/2" thick.

Chuck B.

·
Registered
434 Posts
With the exception of my rear plows, they will remain 1" thick!

Chuck B.

·
Registered
610 Posts
i have steel on all three
maybe when dino has his end of season sale
ill put one on my c-8
john

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Ditto Snoworks comments. 3\4" thick would be what you put on an ATV or lawn garden tractor type plow. And if I was using an ATV for walks it would have a 1" thick actually. Whoever sold that to you should have done a better job of matching the product you needed for your application maybe?? I had to do a little maintenace & welding on one of my plows today, so I took a close look at the urethane while I was putting out the fires on it LOL. Got a few little tears & nicks on the ends, and the wear pattern looks awful wavy compared to how well it scrapes. Looks nasty, but works well still.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Steel edge, but would like to try a U edge. Price is the obsticle, will probably need a new edge this year.

·
GO GO Gadget Plow!
1,380 Posts
Do I really have to reply to this??
All our plows have u edges, that amounts to 8 in all including the skid steer edge on order for our new 883 Bobcat with heat and cab. Should be delivered after the x mass. Will post pics asap.
Dino

1 - 20 of 43 Posts