Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm looking into building a garage. some of the curved arch builings seem simple and effective. any one using one or some thing similar?

i'd be interested in pros/ cons vs. wood if anyone has input.

Pics would be helpful. Thanks!!

·
LetsTalkSnow.com - Moderator
4,902 Posts
I was looking at those "quanset hut" style buildings myself a few years ago. I bought the installation instructions first before purchasing and I'm glad I did. While the building itself is fairly inexpensive, the amount of concrete required for the base is tremendous!

The concrete provides the strength for the arch to perform as designed and tie bars are required to be poured in the concrete that stretch from side to side.

Another downfall is insulating. This type structure is tough to insulate due to it's shape and the high arch will allow heat to collect at the top. You'll need some type of downdraft ventilation system to keep the unit heated effectively.

Any wall units you want to build for storage will have to conform to the arched wall, not impossible but more difficult than conventional construction. I think this type building is best suited for unheated storage, not a shop.

I like the steel truss buildings myself. These go up quickly and are almost as economical as the steel panel building. Since the wall are vertical, conventional building methods can be used to personalize it.

Pole barn buildings are also well suited for a shop for the same reasons, and can easily be partitioned for an office, rest room or other area. Both the steel truss and pole barn can be easily insulated to make for a warm work area.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
My neighbor has one of them quanset hut type buidings. They are nice but you need to have someone "blow the insulation in" and need to paint them every so many years with that aluminmum paint. You should hear the snow slding down that thing from the inside. If you are in it be prepared for one hell of a noise lol.:shades

·
Registered
6,272 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
your link not working.

those look like a building i could use. your other link was good but they seem to make larger buildings.

i'm looking at something like 25x40

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
sorry here it is http://www.lesterbuildings.com/

I think they will both make the size you want .Good thing about these 2 buildings that I can see is that you can make them look more like your house verses a metal wharhouse type of building.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
one other disadvantage to the quansa arch type buildings it makes having an overhead storage area bad... if you have a steel frame you can add one easier...

·
Registered
175 Posts
My friend had a steel building put up at his repair shop, he's a member on this site but has been having problems looking in. He had a morton building put up. The company comes in and does the whole assembly of the building. I believe their site is www.mortonbuildings.com

Another friend is looking to put up a 60x80 steel building so i've found a few sites for him-

http://www.olympiabuildings.com/
http://www.miracletruss.com
http://www.heritagebuildings.com/

There's so many sites out there for steel buildings. His girlfriends father just put up a 30x40 miracle truss building and its too small. Something to think about it get a garage bigger than what you plan on using, it may seem big at the time but once you start filling it, space disappears rapidly.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mirical Truss

BKrois said:
My friend had a steel building put up at his repair shop, he's a member on this site but has been having problems looking in. He had a morton building put up. The company comes in and does the whole assembly of the building. I believe their site is www.mortonbuildings.com

Another friend is looking to put up a 60x80 steel building so i've found a few sites for him-

http://www.olympiabuildings.com/
http://www.miracletruss.com
http://www.heritagebuildings.com/

There's so many sites out there for steel buildings. His girlfriends father just put up a 30x40 miracle truss building and its too small. Something to think about it get a garage bigger than what you plan on using, it may seem big at the time but once you start filling it, space disappears rapidly.
i like these buildings. what's the opinion of your gf father?(other than being too small) (where's he at, selling it?)

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Here is a pic of my neighbors barn

Attachments

·
Registered
174 Posts
I too am looking at building a 30' by 40' building. I think I will build a pole barn. They can be finished with steel or wood. You can insulate them pretty easy.

Everyone I have talked to about their prefab steel building says they have alot of bolts. You will be bolting it together for days. I also don't think they look as good as a traditional barn.

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
tlc Great shop .You said you are gonna add on How big will the addtion be and where will you put it?Who makes that pole building?

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I would suggest a Morton Building. The warrenty on these buildings is great. 50 years, can't beat that.
Here is a pic of a building they built for the volunteer railroad that I am a member of. The dimension are 255x60 These are old pics from about 2 years ago when the building was being built. I will see if I can find some newer ones of the completed building. I would highly recomend them. The price of the building was 125,000 if I remeber correctly.

William

Attachments

·
Banned
1,659 Posts
Kistler also makes a good pole barn.
Conastoga is another.

not sure on their websites, sorry.

I've built a few pole barns for some of my customers, but mainly do additions on houses.

I would say that a pole barn is just as easy to build as a bolt together steel building, and will look better. like someone else said, it can be finished with any kind of siding, you have overhead storage. trusses for the roof, with storage down the center. 6x6 posts, horizontal 2x4s, headers across the top. it's simple. pour the floor where you need it. I'm a wood guy, so I build with wood. I know you can make a metal building look the same as a pole barn would. just check out the costs of each.

the best way to insulate is get someone to spray the expanding foam all over the place. It provides a much better R value because it seals so much better to the building than traditional insulation. it's a little more money but well worth it. trust me.

some of the companies out there came up with an anchoring system which keeps the wooden posts from being in the ground. using a precast structural column.

When I build a new shop here, it will be a pole barn style. I might even call another company to come in and build it faster than I could build it myself.

JMO's Good luck in your decision. feel free to PM if you have any other questions regarding the building.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts