Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you ever had a Western 8'6"MVP torn off your one of your trucks?:headwall Photos to follow in a day or so:shades

·
Registered
217 Posts
No BUT :
Western Uni mount 8.5 ft on a Chevy 3500 Flatbed.

The guy loses the right large pin, doen't know, goes to plow a
lot along the curb, Hits curb a little tooo hard plow pulls left ,

SNAPS OFF the left side (only one left with a pin) push plate mount tabs ,
Whole plow set up slams into hood/grill then he proceeds to almost drive over the whole unit!!!!

I get the call , Hey I lost a hitch pin!

Get there , what a mess, broke both sides of the push plate ears,
the little tabs off the a frame for the lift mount, broke a hose smashed the grill, dented the hood.

Had to dissasemble everything load it into my truck and go back to the shop .

Ended up fabbing up new pcs and welding it all back together
3hrs later back to work.

Never had anymore trouble from the unit from that day on.

·
Registered
866 Posts
WOW!!!
I hope nobody was hurt, and that there was minimal damage to your truck!

I have done some minor damage when I had a couple of pins fall out- but luckily it was simply heat up the ear on the a-frame and straighten it out. I have never had any major damage like this!

Get some rest and then post the pics- we can wait, and hopefully help out!!

Bill

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Got the first four from my digital prior to it going dead. The rest are at the shop getting made to a disk. You'll have to zoom in to see some of the damage it was pretty extensive! This is one of my trucks, notice the angle of the truck and compare it to the offset of the plow. Also note the left side of the mold board, (looking toward the truck), about a foot in from the left lower corner. That's a two foot gash through the mold board and into the trip spring on the back:rolleyes:

Attachments

·
Registered
866 Posts
Were they doing construction that they did not warn you about? I assume they were trying to cover a hole with the steel plate- maybe it would have been better to find the hole with the truck instead of the plate!!

Good luck getting it back up and running- hope you make it before the next snow fall!!

Bill

BTW- I hope the driver was wearing his belt- that must have been some hit to pull the frame off the front of the truck like that!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here's another of the truck. If you zoom in you may be able to see the snapped plow mounting frame. Should my lights be pointing at the ground?:confused:

Attachments

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll post the rest later. They were using the plate to cover some cement that was failing by a grate. Yes the hole would have been better. I got this plow last season and moved it to this truck last week, will Western cover this????????:D The up side is, it's one of four trucks we own, I wasn't the driver and I have ample subs to cover any work in the near future.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Ken - Sorry to here about your troubles.

So the trip spring did not work, or did the steel plate slide up the trip spring area to the moldboard? The plow looks fubr'ed! How did the truck make out.

Chuck B.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The call I got was. Dude, I got one of those things I just don't want to tell you about

·
Registered
415 Posts
Shouldnt the plow have tripped?!?!? I would go talk to my dealer and ask them why the frame fell off the truck, unless you installed it yourself. At least the damage to the truck doesn't "look" that bad, and no one was hurt.
Eric

·
Registered
434 Posts
I hate when you get those kind of calls. My response usually is; is anyone hurt or dead. If not, its really not that bad!:D

Chuck B.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Are you ready for the kicker?????? One of the trucks plowing the site earlier that morning hit the plate too(Minor damage) and didn't bother to pass it along or mark the area off for the rest of the trucks. Can I get a group comunication please. Drivers need to pass onto other drivers site conditions!:mad:

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The two biggest venues I preach are Documentation A/K/A Write it down, so we can get paid and cover our asses and Communication A/K/A Call me. Let me know what's going on. The more I think this whole thing could've/should've been avoided, with a Cell phone Yo man, theres a huge hunk of something in the rear trailer area, can we get it taken care of. The hotter I get:argue. But no people sometimes just don't think, heck he was probally already on the phone with his girl or something. I don't know. Sometimes common sense isn't so common. Enough of me, when I get the rest you'll see'em:cash

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
wow sucks ya lost a plow like that but thankfully noone was hurt...

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
Damn, Thankfully no one was injured in the process. I highly doubt that Western will want anything to do with that one.

Jay

·
Registered
175 Posts
KenP-

Sorry for the damage to your truck, looks bad.

Since no one asked, i will. How fast was your driver going to cause that to happen? Going 5mph or so, the plow probably would have tripped, and it would not have been a big deal. For that kind of damage to happen, i wonder how fast your driver was going??

1 - 20 of 69 Posts