Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the 5 speed with the 4.3L v6 engine. I have a long dirt drive that requires a lot of back and forth motion, plowing to clear due to curves, etc. I currently plow in high range but I've noticed sometimes after plowing what I think is a smell coming from my clutch getting hot. I used to plow in low range thinking that would be easier on the clutch and vehicle, but a lot of people say they plow in high range. What would you recommend to extend the life of the clutch and be easier on it plowing.
Thanks,
Bill

·
Banned
1,771 Posts
I have the 5 speed with the 4.3L v6 engine. I have a long dirt drive that requires a lot of back and forth motion, plowing to clear due to curves, etc. I currently plow in high range but I've noticed sometimes after plowing what I think is a smell coming from my clutch getting hot. I used to plow in low range thinking that would be easier on the clutch and vehicle, but a lot of people say they plow in high range. What would you recommend to extend the life of the clutch and be easier on it plowing.
Thanks,
Bill
The best way to save the clutch is to use it as little as much for your driving conditions. So, if you are doing 5 mph in 1st or 2nd gear in high range and need to use the clutch to keep it from stalling. The solution is to put it in low range so you don’t have to use the clutch to keep it from stalling.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The best way to save the clutch is to use it as little as much for your driving conditions. So, if you are doing 5 mph in 1st or 2nd gear in high range and need to use the clutch to keep it from stalling. The solution is to put it in low range so you don’t have to use the clutch to keep it from stalling.
No only time clutch is being used is when stopping and changing from 1st to reverse or visa versa and starting back up. Figured using low would allow me to release the clutch closer with out stalling out.

·
Banned
1,771 Posts
No only time clutch is being used is when stopping and changing from 1st to reverse or visa versa and starting back up. Figured using low would allow me to release the clutch closer with out stalling out.
Yes, low range will keep you from stalling out because you increase the torque through mechanical advantage so more torque available to you at lower rpms. So, I agree use low-range.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts