Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone cover their bed sanders with a tarp? I'm planning to go to a local tarp manufacturer around the corner from me to have them measure and make-to-order a heavy tarp for my new AirFlo sander. I'm going to see if a weld shop can weld a "channel" around the perimeter for me to hook/bungee the tarp to when it's on.

I'd like to keep the spreader covered between salt trips and if I'm just out plowing w/o salting.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
I use a sheet of rubber roofing membrane over mine. Cheap and totally waterproof. I ran three rubber cords across the top to hold it down. Works really well and it's heavy enough to not get shredded from the wind.

I thought about having a cover made from the material they use for boat tops, but I figured the cost would be wicked high.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I use a cheap Blue Poly and hold it down with two 2" straps.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
I use the rubber membrane like Alan does.It works great and is extremely durable.Also it is pretty heavy and wont blow away,it may come off the spreadr if you dont tie it,but it will not blow away.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The tarp company quoted me $150-$200 for a heavy-duty rubber/vinyl tarp custom fitted to the size/shape of my spreader with grommet tie-downs. Basically like the types you see on open-roofed tractor trailers.

I paid extra to go stainless steel with the spreader, so I'd like the tarp to last as long as the spreader does. Also then I'd be able to take the highway without worrying if it'll flap around or blow off.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Just wondering why would you want to cover your Sand/Salt you have a gas spreader so it shouldnt matter if it gets wet ? Wouldnt your truck be too heavy if you had the plow on it and full of salt / sand in the back ?

Just Curious... :huh

Dave.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, the salt is relatively dry when it's loaded into the spreader but I would have the cover on between runs - not when I've filled up and am out salting. One of the reasons I got a 2500HD was specifically because it can handle the weight of a spreader. However, unlike some guys, I don't plan on extending the side boards in order to increase the load I'm carrying.

·
Banned
1,973 Posts
Western/Fisher has one for their spreaders, might fit on others.

It's custome fit for it too.

I do not have one, my dealer told me about it when I was talking about a tarp to cover it.

We only load up salt to spread, We don't go out with salt in the spreaders.

If we do load any up before hand, they get parked indoors or trow a small tarp over it, while the trucks are sitting.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Ok i still dont get it thou.. Whats the point ? So it gets wet ? Will it not spread far enough if its wet or will it fudge the spreader ?

If its wet its almost like useing pre treated sat and in essence if its wet it will have salt brine on it and it should work faster since it's wet and it wont bounce as much off the ground like dry salt does. I dont think you would loose that much salt if thats what your worred about by the snow getting at it, i understand why you cover your stock pile but not the spreader.

I am new to this so excuse me.

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
As far as the weight goes, I just ran a dry run both of my trucks to check weights.

My 2500HD scaled at 11,500 with the 8' Western and the 2yd Swenson loaded level plated for 12,000.

My F-450 scaled at 22,500 with the 8.5 MVP and the dump bed about half full. I wont be ging far before I start dropping salt with the dump, but if I do have to go a little distance I know I'll have to back off a bucket or two.

I just got the factory cover for the Swenson in the mail, 155.00 including shipping looks like it has some bolt on J hooks. Waiting for the roll back tarp for my dump, just under 300.00 shipped. I like to keep it covered for a few reasons. If the weather conditions change and I am loaded with salt I want to keep it as dry as possible. As with most later season storms as soon at the snow stops the temps drop and winds start up. That will play hell on a wet load of salt.

I agree with making the equipment last. I am bringin my brand new V box in to be sprayed with a smooth coating of Line X on Monday. Just under $500.00 and they will pull out the inverted V and lower plates and spray them too. I hope to make this thing last 5 - 8 years. Or atl east keep it in the best condition possible for resale later. I will see how my dump bed hold up before I get it sprayed.

·
Banned
1,973 Posts
Speaking of Line-X they guy I went to, in the convo spreaders came up, he has done several of them

I was thinking of having mine done there.

I would like to see how one looks first.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Snowboy said:
Ok i still dont get it thou.. Whats the point ? So it gets wet ? Will it not spread far enough if its wet or will it fudge the spreader ?
I use a Vbox and want to keep any snow, rain or other material out of it for a couple of reasons.

I leave it on the truck the whole season.

I use a sand/salt mix.

To start, if it start out above freezing, then the material is liable to get soaked and freeze solid in the box - very bad news. Not only would your material freeze, but the chain and possibly the spinner.

I don't want the sand covered with snow so I can monitor the need to refill.

I charge by the amount spread. If I can't see the level in the box, I can't judge how much I've put down.

I'm putting down sand to give traction on snow/ice. Putting down more snow with it would look pretty stupid.

I try to keep the box as dry as possible to keep it from rusting. It's stored in the garage during the off-season.

I'm sure others can come up with other reasons.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I use a tarp especially during freezing rain, because we use treated salt and I don't want all the clearlane washed off of the salt. If that happens it doesn't take much to freeze in the hopper.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I don't have any pictures of my Vbox with a cover right now. But the way it is - I have a top screen that I put the tarp over. Fold it to fit the top and tuck any excess under. Then, put a 2x6 the full width of the box on top of the tarp - one on the front and another at the back. Then use 2" ratcheting straps that go over each board from one side of the bed over the Vbox to the other side of the bed. Tighten. Check tightness periodically while using. For added security, you could put a third board/strap in the middle of the box.

I have a flat bed with angle iron on both side to attach to. But I would think you could hook to the frame of a pick up bed.

Attachments

·
Registered
701 Posts
Alan said:

I thought about having a cover made from the material they use for boat tops, but I figured the cost would be wicked high.
It shouldn't be real expensive, to have one made for our 21' boat it was only like $400, it was called top gun or something to that effect, basically a nylon fabric coated with something to repel water, works very well on the boat, but I don't know what salt would do to it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I just had a cover custom made for my Fisher V-box. Only cost $126. He made it out of rubber coated vinyl with grommets for tie downs. The front corners are are boxed so it won't blow off going down the road. I'll post some pics when I can.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Is that a 2"x4" you're hooked onto with those bungees down there? I was contemplating having a steel "channel" welded to the spreader sides to hook to.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts