Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On our new TARCO spreader with the 10.5 HP Briggs engine, we are having a problem determining when the engine starts. The cab controller has a toggle for throttle, but no indicator to show if its slow or all the way to the choke position. When you hit the start button, the engine is so far behind you it can't be heard. We have to shut off the truck engine to hear if it started.

I have been trying to find a 12V source on the engine that comes on when the engine is running. Tried the battery charging wire with a diode, but I don't measure any voltage. Seems like it needs the 12V battery to make the charging circuit work.

I should have listened to Matt Bowman when he said to go hydraulic.......:eek:

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
Hydraulic is a great way to go no gas to worrie about but the cost is alot more both in the spreader and truck end if your not running with a central hydro system.

My question for that would be if you want to just run the sander with hydraulics what would be the cheapest way to do it??

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was told it would be "several thousand dollars" to add the hydraulic system to our F-600. That stopped the discussion right there.:eek:

·
Registered
133 Posts
I know this doesnt solve your problem, but we have the same problem with one of our truck/sander units, cant tell when it is on. We usually just start it up at the shop when we leave and then leave it running the entire salting route. It doesnt use all that much gas and it is always on so no worry about it not being on. Just my two cents.

www.schmidtlawncare.com

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats just what we have been doing. I was looking for a more "high tech" solution.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Disclaimer: I have no experience with v-boxes.

That said, I have lots of experience with small engines, gokarts, mowers, mower-gokarts:wink etc. What if you modified the exhaust so that it might be more noticeable. By noticable I don't mean louder, but perhaps run it into some type of pipe straight up, and put like a 1" raincap on it.

Thesystem would be simple to read: Cap down=motor not running, cap up=motor running!

That's my $.02, it would look cool, but its no warning light... :beatsme

·
Registered
321 Posts
CPSS we have the same problem with our two Buyers gas powered spreaders. Here is an idea I came up with, saw this item in the current Northern Tool catalog. Look here http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/...Id=4006970&PHOTOS=on&TEST=Y&productId=524744. My idea is to place the guage in the cab on the control panel, the problem as I see it is you will need to run shielded cable from the engine on spreader up to the guage in cab. Just an idea I sort of thought of when I saw that tach unit. Could this work? A plus to my idea is you will be able to se the rpms of the engine hence you will know if your a full throttle or not.

Bob :grinz :grinz :burnout

·
Registered
258 Posts
CPSS - having fun w/ the gas job yet? Just kidding. I had the same problem with mine. I don't think you will find a source that only has power when running because there will also be power when cranking. Before I made the desicion to rip the gas motor right off of my spreader, I was going to hook up a tacometer. This should allow you to see if it's running and at what speed. Good luck.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Matt, you just couldnt wait to rub it in, could you! But seriously, there isn't a 10 HP motor that would run on 12V, and hydraulic just seemed to expensive. Once the motor is running it works great.

Lazer, your link doesn't work. I'm familiar with Northern Tools, we buy lots of stuff from them. Whats the item?

·
Registered
321 Posts
CPSS here is the Item# 160590. Let me know what your idea is on this.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Lazer.. I just ordered it. Seems like just what the Doctor ordered. The other plus is that it displays run hours, a handy bit of information for regular servicing.

·
Registered
321 Posts
CPSS cool glad to help out let me know how this may work out. I'd like to apply this to 2 of our speaders. BTW I run with a nice Smith electric spreader on my truck' nice and quiet. The only bad thing is I can't adjust my spinner speed like the gas models or the hydro ones.

·
Banned
1,973 Posts
I just finished wiring up a used spreader with no wiring harness.

For $30 got all the switches and I also added some things that don't normally go on the control box.

I put on a green light for the spinner clutch engauged, orange light for choke, and a red light off the "charge" wire for engine running. It will light dimmly till the engine is started and running over 1600 rpm for idle, it will be dim cause it's only turning at 250 rpms, once started it gets bright and indicates engine is running.

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
I'd just use the charging system output wire like LGF described.It's much easier.Some spreaders have an extra wire in the harness,so it would be easy to hook up.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thats the first thing I tried. Seems the new Briggs engines use some type of electronic control for the charge circuit. If I disconnect the red charge wire from the battery, there is no voltage on it with the engine running. I called the tech support number and was told that it needed to see 12v from the battery before it would send any charging current. Seems strange to me, but when I connect the wire with the engine running, the voltage slowly increases from 12.5 to 13 volts over a minute or two.

·
Registered
101 Posts
yup, most small engine charging systems are like that, they need power to charge. We had some rectifier problems on one of our 26 HP EFI Walkers, same deal. I think the tach setup you ordered is probably the best bet....aside from running a straight pipe!

·
Registered
466 Posts
CPSS

Several thousand for central hydraulics????I may have to go back into business.For a fairly simple system to run just a sander,i would think you could do it for $2-3000.00 maybe even less if you can do fab work.I checked pricing for a kit for my new F250 6.0L it will be about $1300.00 electric clutch/pump brackets belts,idler,tank ,filter..
Hoses ,fittings,controls and labour extra.I have installed a few of these on 7.3 and 6.5 engines,there is one heck of a lot more room to work on an F600,After looking under the hood of my truck,i seriously doubted hydraulics could even be added,but there are at least 2 companys that have kits available,i even had to go look at a kit from a supplier ,its tight ,but it can be done,looks like a project for next year for that truck.My 6.9 will do till then.:D :cash

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well even $2-3000 was a lot more than we were prepaired to spend after paying $6000 for the spreader. I got the tach yesterday from Northern Tools. The cable that comes with it is only about 4' long. It's RG 174 coax cable. I'm going to replace it today with 30' of RG 58 coax and try it out.

·
Registered
109 Posts
lgf

do u have a picture of this control panel that you are refering too? thanks

Rich

1 - 20 of 32 Posts