Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm working on putting together another sprayer for liquids. The unit will be for both de-icing and anti-icing. I've got the spray bar pretty well thought out -96" bar with 8 spray head setup with swivel bodies to change patterns without changing nozzles, electric valve, etc. I was looking for ideas or suggestions for an electric(12v) setup. My thought was a 1/3 or 1/2 hp motor with a roller style pump mated to it which I think would handle the liquid without a problem. I'm not wanting to run multiple 12v wash style pumps to get the gpm I need. Not against a gas setup but like the conveniece of not having to refill or worry about the motor dying. I have searched and researched all over and have not been able to find a reasonably priced electric setup.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Try a 12v shure flow pump, they have many different flow rates. There are also a couple 12 v 13 gpm diafram pumps that mount right on top of the tanks. I will get the details and forward to you.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I looked at shurflo and several others. The pumps with the higher gpm have lower head pressure. Ideally I'm aiming for 20-40 psi and a flow rate of 8-10 gpm at the spray bar. All the electric pumps I have found drop the gpm significantly as the pressure rises - 13gpm pump only puts out 5 gpm at 30 psi, etc.. Looks like I'm going with a gas 2" pacer pump.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A gas pump wasn't my first choice - and still doesn't have to be but by the time I get 2 12v pumps and them plumbed in I'm past the cost of a 2" gas pump.

Ron - do you happen to know what model that is? I have looked all over the web and the best I have found was a pricey 12v hypro that did maybe 12 or 13 gpm.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
From Dultmeier.com, it's GR 489G-95. $625 for cast iron, $850 for SS. 50 GPM @ 10 psi, 25 GPM @ 26 psi, 5 GPM @ 33 psi. They have a HUGE selection of sprayer tips, many designed to run as low as 10 psi. 50 gpm @ 10 psi would be plenty, I would think.

Are you planning on a solid stream type tip, or fan type?

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
I would run stream type nozzles , you do not need to cover the entire area, your just putting down a barrier to keep the snow from bonding anyway, and the cars will track it over the parking lot..

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The bar I have built now is a 96" wetboom with 6 nozzle bodies on a 16" spacing. I'm running the teejet SJ3-20-vp tips on it. At 30 psi that will give me about 65 gpa with a 10 mph ground speed. I experimented with both the solid stream and also the SJ7 nozzles and the SJ3's seemed to give me the benefits of both - good coverage and also the benefit of a directed stream without using a multiple tip nozzle body or having to change tips. This bar is going to be used for both anti and de-icing.

http://www.sprayparts4less.com/catalog/CAT48.pdf

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Gallons per acre, sometimes shown as gallons per lane mile too

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Gallons per acre. Each nozzle at 30 psi will put out 1.75 gpm(10.5 gpm across the boom) but I'll be able to adjust the pressure down or up to regulate the flow depending on conditions.... hopefully we have all nice powder this winter to I can dial it down :D

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
65 gpa seems a little strong, especially for a pre-treat situation. Think in terms of in the 40's for pre-treat. 65 is OK for deicing. 50-55 would probably be adequate though. Deicing always takes more juice than anti-icing.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The 65 is on the extreme high side and probably will never be used but its nice to have if needed, I know I'll have to cut the flow back and possibly change to a smaller tip but I want to get a few runs in with the current setup to get it dialed in. I know some guys who run the well brine say they put the product down at 50-60 consistantly. For anti-icing I'll shoot for 35-40 and adjust from there. The unit will mainly be used for pretreating and then during the day for de-icing operations when we need to keep traffic lanes and entrances open. My thought is between pre treat and de-icing most of the lots should get the liquid tracked around pretty well.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Finally got around to getting some pictures of the spray unit, nothing fancy(still a little tweaking to do on it over the summer) but the 2 time we did get to use it worked great - both times were a pre-treat situation, 1 for sleet/snow and 1 for light snow. I thought I had some pics of the boom but they must be on the camera

Attachments

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I do not see a valve controlled in the cab. Usually a simple off/on electric valve. How do you turn on the flow to the boom? Or does it run all the time when you start the engine and open the main valve? Lookes pretty good. Wood skid will not last real long without a lot of care though.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It has a Texas/Remcor electronic valve that is switched in the cab, I have the wiring harness off of it right now. The wood skid is treated wood on the underside, basically put it together so I could get an idea of how much space I wanted to(or could) compact everything into so I still had room in the truck bed. A few things still need tweaked but I do have to admit I think the gas engine setup was easier than electric, plus being able to self load without another pump made it super easy. The handful of times I got to run it last season it worked well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello everyone! All of you have the best conversation. I really enjoy it.
Does anybody have experience with car paint sprayers?
Most of people want to get best car paint sprayers. My friends do not recommend the best paint sprayers. I really need it which I use in my car.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts