Snowplow Forums banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
4evergreenlawns said:
Well I speak from personal experience. I have seen the beating Line-X takes up close. My equipement is being seen on a daily basis. The line-X looks cleaner and is more durable than any bed liner I have ever seen. Ever see one of those bed liners all twisted up looking like it is about to just pop right out of a pick up bed?

When I sold my 01 2500HD with the Line-X the guy comment about what great shape the bed was in. That was after three snow seasons, and four lawn seasons. I realize you know the towing and recovery industry but you should see what a landscape crew will do to a truck in just a few days much less a few seasons. I could not say I have heard the same nor have I seen the same results from a bed liner.

Furthermore, I do not think anyone ever stated the Line-X would stop the bed from rusting. NOTHING WILL. You must not do much salt work out of a truck bed that only used a bed liner. We are not talking about the evaporation of residue from the road. I am talking about having a V box salt spreader lined with a smooth textured Line-X coating and the unit looked as good as the the I had it liner after seeing over 100tons of salt in one season. Can not say a bed liner would have done that.

What I am trying to say is if you have first hand experience those comment are worth to be heard. If you have never used Line-X than maybe you should avoid telling us all how bad it is and just let us know how strongly you fell about the bed liner you want to pay $150.00 for and used for the next 20 years.

Thanks and nice meeting you too.
Point taken. I hearby retract my previous statements and issue the following:

My $.02 based upon my experience, save your cash and buy a drop-in. They've been around as long as pickups have and a quality drop-in will provide years of trouble and worry free protection from anything you can throw at it. :salute

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
My $.02 will be inserted now :D

DROP IN LINERS SUCK!!!

That is why I sold one right out of the truck and the other one is sitting in the back of the shop with weeds covering it.......

They are not as NON SLIP as they say.........

After going through warped tailgate after warped tailgate due to load shifts on the plastic liner.........

The Line-X has paid itself off already in my truck and I have only had it for about 2 months........

When I put something in the bed it stays in that particular spot, even with the way I drive :D........

The plastic liner allowed all loads to slip and slide and for that reason alone the Line-X is 100 times more worth it......

Id spend the money over and over again to get a Line-X over a drop in...

And another benefit is Line-X doesn't warp like a plastic liner........

Jay

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
Ok ,I will say this in my '85 i had no liner at all nothing I used it for everything stone ,dirt, block, carpet ,tile , trimmings what ever shoveled off it had palletts pushed on it etc. . My '97 I said what the hell get the drop in have it look good all the time,true it will take abuse of stuff being droped in it to a point but everything slide across to easy, it was a pain to clean stone dirt from the ribs and the end of it at the tailgate was warping some. now on my '05 still do not have anything in there,I will not be dumping dirt in it since i have my dump trailer for that,still undecied on getting the line-x and spending that $500.Now back to my '85 the bed was scatched and rusty looking but had no rot what so ever. I don't know about the '97 never took it off to see how the bed was.

·
Registered
215 Posts
This discussion could be as time tested and as fierce as the "which truck is the best for plowing, which plow should I get?" discussion....

:headwall

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
Todd,

Obviously all the sensitivty traning I am taking is just not sinking in.

Bad Luck,

You are right about person perferences. Some love a product and others hate it. I just try to pass off information that I can stand behind and if that helps someone great.

I am often looking for good solid information right from the horses mouth so to speak. That is what is so great about these forums. Although, there is always, a Todd or two in the group.... :headwall :zoom in all fairness, I have never met Todd and he usually does have great information to pass on and I am sure he is a great guy. I know I get under his skin, kinda like salt under a drop in liner.

Gald to see you have an open mind about things and did not take what I was saying too personal.

Jay,

I think I moght owe you some change on your .02 cents....... :blizzard

·
Banned
3,450 Posts
Fierce opinions here... Wow... Never thought I'd see someone stand behind a drop in plastic liner. What's next, he's gonna argue his 1/2 ton will out-plow my F350...

I agree with Ron on the kind of abuse our trucks take, it's incredible. So, if Mr. bad luck was right, then my 5 year old truck should not have had any rust in the bed when I pulled the drop-in liner out... So what was that brown stuff all over the place??? Granted, there's some of that brown stuff under the truck too, but there was way too much brown stuff in the bed, more so than what's underneath. And no, my truck is not babied, it's a work truck that gets driven hard and put away wet. I'd heard the horror stories, but didn't have the money for a spray in, and didn't have the guts to look underneath the plastic liner. Well, I finally bit the bullet and went with a spray in, and pulled the plastic liner out. I couldn't believe what I saw. I realize they're just work trucks, but had I left the plastic liner in, it probably wouldn't have taken very long to rust through. Maybe there are some "good" drop in liners out there, but that Ford factory liner sure wasn't one of them... Spray-ins for me going forward! :salute

·
Registered
215 Posts
Ron -What's the name of the counsellor you are seeing? Mine won't see me anymore! I try not to take things too personal. It's only a message board, and everyone is going to have their own opinion and experience, plus, without sitting in front of you and talking to you about this how can anyone be 100% sure about what we really are trying to say? It's our own job to filter out the crap and take from other peoples experiences what they offer.

Take the Wizard of Ford and Spray liners' reply, after reading through all the crap, you see that he likes his spray liner, and dislikes drop-ins.

You would also take out of his post that he likes to drive a Ford. God only knows why, :huh but hey, it's a message board and I don't judge.

·
Banned
3,450 Posts
Bad Luck said:
You would also take out of his post that he likes to drive a Ford. God only knows why, :huh but hey, it's a message board and I don't judge.
My personal count of vehicles that have left me on the side of the road kicking tires and cursing:

GM: 6
Dodge: 1
Ford: 0

My decision on what to drive is based entirely on personal experience, unlike your decision on spray-in liners. How many Fords have you owned? Just as many as spray-in liners??? Not intending to flame, but don't attack me when you have no idea...

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
I wana know a few things on Line-x looks like i might be in the right section.

I have a plastic bed liner in my truck now and had one on the 96 as well. I've been thinking of selling the plastic and going for Line-x next year because my tonneau cover doesn’t fit properly on the truck and I would have to trim the top of the liner and then the sun will warp it and then crap will get under it. I find it a pain to wash dirt out of plastic liner.

How well will the line-x handle to skids of brick or skids of sod. What happens if there are stones attached to the bottom of the skid and as the forklift operator pushed it in the truck, will this destroy the line-x? Would this be covered under warranty or are they going to say be more careful?

I was at the sod farm picking up a skid of sod and the forklift driver didn’t have the skid centered and the skid hit the wheel well, it didn’t tear it or make a dent in the well just a scuff in the plastic. Do I have to be more careful with line-x it cant be that strong?

Dave.

·
LetsTalkSnow.com - Travel & Bar Consultant
2,029 Posts
Maybe its just the Fords with rusting beds when drop ins are used ?

When I traded my 90/94/97/01 GMs in the dealer took out my beat
up bed liner(s) detailed them and put them out on the front line
for resale. I noticed no rust out just a bit of paint wear.

HECK...From the posts in the Ford forums their PSD oil pans are
rusted thru in 2 years....(ducking)....geo

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Snowboy said:
I wana know a few things on Line-x looks like i might be in the right section.

I have a plastic bed liner in my truck now and had one on the 96 as well. I've been thinking of selling the plastic and going for Line-x next year because my tonneau cover doesn’t fit properly on the truck and I would have to trim the top of the liner and then the sun will warp it and then crap will get under it. I find it a pain to wash dirt out of plastic liner.

How well will the line-x handle to skids of brick or skids of sod. What happens if there are stones attached to the bottom of the skid and as the forklift operator pushed it in the truck, will this destroy the line-x? Would this be covered under warranty or are they going to say be more careful?

I was at the sod farm picking up a skid of sod and the forklift driver didn’t have the skid centered and the skid hit the wheel well, it didn’t tear it or make a dent in the well just a scuff in the plastic. Do I have to be more careful with line-x it cant be that strong?

Dave.

The stuff is tough but not like plastic liners. The plastic has some "give" if you will. Heavy stuff droped or slamed in the bed will still dent the bed.
Spray ons can be cut or scuffed up to.

I have used both and personally prefer spray on. I will say when I was loading the truck with green split oak the other day I was happy for the plastic liner in the new truck.
I was tossing the pieces in. I was not worried about denting the bed.
Todd

·
Registered
215 Posts
wizardsr said:
My personal count of vehicles that have left me on the side of the road kicking tires and cursing:

GM: 6
Dodge: 1
Ford: 0

My decision on what to drive is based entirely on personal experience, unlike your decision on spray-in liners. How many Fords have you owned? Just as many as spray-in liners??? Not intending to flame, but don't attack me when you have no idea...
I'm just breaking your balls man.

My experience with drop-ins is what has brought me to my desicion of spray liners. If you see my last post you will note that I say specifically "based upon my experience."

As far as Ford ownership goes, I have never owned a Ford, but I have worked on them and driven them daily in past jobs. My last companies fleet consists of 5 Super Duties 2wd, and 2 4WD 350's ranging from 90 to 97. All well above 200k miles, all of which were hard. These trucks ran for upwards of 12-20 hours a day relgiously, and did require tons of maintenance. As would anything that gets run through the ringer like they do.

You'll never see me seriously knocking one of the big three of another guys choice of vehicle. As a GM owner thought, I do reserve the right to roast them(GM) if I choose.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Placed in Liners--hold mosture between them & the BED!--Spray Ins-the Beds Rust from Underneath--so its a personal Choice?--as I have had Both--Placed Ins- are Slippery--things seem to Slide around more than the Spray ins--I damaged a heard Board beyond Repair--when I had a Panic Stop--& a Used motor slide & Crashed into te head Board!--in a Drop In--I prefer the Drop Ins--as their Easy to Remove!--& I usually re=paint my Bed every couple of yrs--I have Painted ON Several Bed liners in Wrecker Bodies--on Diamond Plate--& they came Out pretty Nice!--Look great--but--Dono? about how they will stand UP?--as I just Started doing them aprox a yr Ago!--& I*M giving Thought? too?--trying Spray On--On the Underneath? as underneath seems to be the most Neglected Area--On the Equipment I see!--& another problem I have is underneath Wiring!--as I run all the underneath Wiring I DO!--in plastic Tubbing--which takes a lot of TIME!--as Snow & Ice build UP in Winter Wiring--is a Huge Problem Here in the North & Re-pairing in the COLD w/ Frozen Fingers--I can Do With-OUT!--I did a New One Ton Wrecker Yrs AGO!--Underneath w/ Anti-Chip Auto Paint--& it still looks Great--but--a Small Private Dealer owns IT & It don*t get all that much USE!--SO its NOT a very Good TEST Vehicle--as It Usually sits in a Heated Garage!--I Hope? my Mentioning of the Anti-Chip is NOT taken as OFF TOPIC? as I*M just attempting to Pass ON--things I have Tried! & how they Worked for ME!--Ole JIM--

·
Registered
100 Posts
ill add my .02

i was looking to get the line ex. but after seeing how new looking my bed was on the 94 f 150 under the plastic liner i am geting another drop in. i looked at a couple trucks att he acc dealer and i have to say the spray in looks messy after a few years, chunks and faded. i would say the fading is what bothers me the most. my drop in is still as black as the day i got it 11 years ago. no rust at all under the liner. its alos important to note the liner held water in it. if there were holes in it i would expect to see more rust.

for my cash itll nbe a drop in, and the extra money can go to a nice meal with the familiy, and money is not an option for me when compairing the two. the truck is the bigger investment to protect.

jeff

i think this thread is alot like whats better ford or chevy :headwall

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
DITTO JAY!!!

Aslo I would have to say most of the people in love with the drop ins are one truck one owner vehicles.

As for a motor trashing a Headboard. Sprayed in liner WILL not stop an block traveling at 30 MPH.

As for fading again. I have worked out of trucks with drop in liners and Line-X. I can not speak for Rhino Liner but I hear is it junk and most installer do a piss poor install. The Line-X in my 01 Chevy which took abuse in summer (soil, stone, mulch, grassclipping, tree branches, dry and wet fertilizer) and winter ( tons and tons of rock salt directly in the bed on the liner) I saw hardly any wear and tear.

Bed liners warp, everything slides all over the place and crap WILL get between the liner and the bed. If you are pulling out a liner and painting the bed every few years how exactly are you saving $$$$$$. Am I missing something??? I pay $425. to get the bed lined and forget about it. You pay $115.00 for a drop in and pay how much to get that bed painted every few years?? Add the fact that over the years the cost of painting goes up with the rate of inflation. I have paid the same $425.00 for Line-X since 2001 to the truck I just had done two weeks ago.

Remember I am talking about trucks that are out in the field getting abuse by hourly employees that in most cases no matter what you want to belive or what they might tell you can truly careless about the truck you just tossed them the keys to worth over $40K. There is no comparing how you treat your personal truck for work to how they treat the truck that you own and they use for work.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Thanks for the help.Until I get the time or an X-Line dealer moves into the area,I'm going to get a Duraliner or a bed rug(anyone know a good brand).I don't like the fact that Rhino Liner warranty is only good at the particular dealer.Thanks.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts