Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.I was going to have a Rihno spray on bed liner put in my truck,i had one in my Ford,I started reading about people with problems with the Rihno brand(i didn't have any problems),it seemed most people liked the X-Line better.There are no X-Line dealers near us.It seems the quality of the spray on liner has a lot to do with the person doing the instalation.The place where I had the Rhino liner put on origanaly is to far to go back,we now have a baby,there are two places close to home though.I started thinkinking about a drop in bed liner,such as Dura-Liner,much less expensive than spray on,the only problem seems to be rust on the bed.i spoke to the local parts store man and he said just take the bed liner out once a year and wash the bed out.The Dura-liner web-site said they have amble ventalation to prevent rust.What do you all think?Thanks.

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
Well I went to a fleet pride show yesterday and thee was a guy from ecco light there.He had a f350 p/u with the rino sparayed in not more than a week old and he hates it now and he paid well over $500 for it/I saw it and could not belive how bad the install was.It could just be just a bad dealer install ,but if that is the way they come out then I would stay with line-x.

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
I pulled out my FORD OEM bedliner and sold it for $200 and put that towards the Line-X... It cost me about $430 to have the Line-X done and it was the best investment I could have made. Nothing moves in that bed now and the tread of the Line-X is fabulous. I have seen samples of the Rhino liner and it reminds me of a HD mudflap. Easy to rip and tear. Line-X policy is to remove all bed bolts and apply hot. From what I understand Rhino has no bolt removal policy and they apply cold.......

If you want a spray on bad enough take the time to drive and get a Line-X!!!!

Jay

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
I had Rhino in the old truck and had no complaints, it was used hard so I wouldnt say it was babied. I hauled bricks firewood plus tools all the time. My portable thickness planer is heavy and has sharp metal feet, it scuffed it but never tore it up. I think the install has a heck of alot to do with it, just like everything ya know.
On a side note the plastic liner from the dealer is still in the new truck, I hate it !
Save your money from a plastic liner and just do a spray in, you wont regret it, and it will add value to your truck when your ready to trade.
Todd

·
Registered
152 Posts
Save your money and get a Line-X liner. I've had 4 pick up trucks with plastic bed liners, and I'll never go back to a plastic liner.

·
Banned
3,450 Posts
Don't compromise, go with a spray-in liner. Before I bought my truck, I told myself that no matter what was in the back of the truck (was buying something 2-3 years old) I would take it out and put a Line-X in. I bought my present truck a year and a half ago, and it had a plastic liner in it. Being the tight wad I am, I figured why spend the money on a spray-in when it already had a plastic liner. I sorrily regreted that decision. I pulled the plastic liner out a month ago, and there was more rust that you could even imagine under there, I couldn't believe my eyes. I had it sandblasted, primed, and a Line-X installed, and am now very happy. If you're debating spending money on a plastic liner versus spending a little more on a spray in,,, there should be no question which way to go. Go with the spray-in, you will not regret it. I can't attest to the Rhino liners, but I love my Line-X.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the response.It's not the money,I'm concerned with some of the negative comments that I've read about the Rihno Line,since the X-line is logisticaly imposible for me to do right now,I thought the drop in liner might be a quick fix.I'm going to speak to the two Rhino Line places in the area and chek them out with the BBB and see what they say.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Two things:

1- Line-X is worth whatever you have to do to get it in your truck.

2- The "Better Business Bureau" is a crock of hooey. Their recommendations arent worth the paper they've been written on. It's a racket that basically tries to strongarm businesses to buy a membership to maintain a favorable rating. If they get a complaint on you, I think you have to join their group to contest it. "We have 2 entries regarding your business- would you like to know what they are?" Don't justify their existence any further by calling them for information.

·
Registered
33 Posts
What about the roll on liners that you apply yourself (such as Herculiner)? Are those any good? Looks like you can get a bed done for $150-200.

ARAMP1

·
Registered
610 Posts
you get what you pay for theres no way the kit from pepboys can be as good as a line-x sprayed in liner.
john

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Get a bed mat and save your cash. I hate the plastic liners as they will help rot the bed out. The spray on is nice and probably a good idea if hauling salt or a spreader but I bet the rot will happen on the bottom anyways and the liner will just hide it from the top

·
Registered
526 Posts
Basic,
I too have a Line-X in my truck. I have had it since Nov 1999 and NO probs or issues with it.
With a new baby, I know that time is tight. I had mine done on Long Island off of Sunrise Highway. The guy does a lot of Metro North trucks etc. also very helpful and easy to work with. If it is not too far for you, he is right near a strip mall with an Outback rest. in it. I drove out, talked with him, he did the truck while my wife and I had dinner, and by the time we were done eating he had the truck done and ready to go, so only a couple hours max. Most time is spent masking off areas to protect from over-spray, then while the spray dries / cures. Since he does so much volume, he had a pretty good system going. If it's not too far, you might want to consider talking to him.
I had a Rhino dealer closer, but like Jay, I did not care for how it came out. I would think that relates to the dealer applying it though.

Hope that helps,

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
Seems to me by now you know what you need to do if you value the information obtained here.

I have used LINE-X on everything I can get the guy to spray it on. The stuff is great. I had it on my 01 Chevy which I just sold and the bed looked great ever after using the hck out of it for 3 three years, and that was 3 snow seasons too. I had a V box sprayed with it and when I sold it the guy was impressed with the condition of the Line-X and since had three of his V box spreaders done as well.

The 06 F-350 just picked up last week, less than 200 miles on it, went right to the Line-X man and was Line-Xed the same day.

Worth every penny. If I ever relocated and was still in the business I would drive as far and it took to get Line-X installed.

·
Registered
479 Posts
line-x. The blast doors on the pentgon are sprayed with a 1/2" thick coat of line-x. :usa I have line-x in my pickup. Soon I will get my salt spreader line-x too.

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
itsgottobegreenSoon I will get my salt spreader line-x too.[/QUOTE said:
That is definitely a good move!!!

They can spray line-x in various textures. You could even get it smooth enough, if the dealer was willing to work with you, to have it sprayed on your blades :D

Jay

·
Registered
215 Posts
FACT: You bed will never rust because you have a drop-in. Your bed, somewhere down the road will rust (7-10yrs??). But I'll bet the farm that when it does, it does so from underneath. Spray liners are good for one thing in my book, nothing. They make drop-ins for a few beans more that are coated so nothing slides around. Most Drop-ins are tear proof, you will never see anyone at an accessory store having a drop in "repaired" under warranty. I just don't think the cost is justified.

I'veseen trucks under severe duty for upwards of 15 years with no drawbacks on a drop-in. Save your cash for a functional modification.

·
Registered
215 Posts
4evergreenlawns said:
That is alot being said from a guy plowing with a 7.6 blade anf a 1/2ton truck. Bad Luck.
Hey Ron how you doing nice to meet you. :shades

My opinion does not come from the few years of plowing I've done, nor the equipment that I use as a daily driver/personal vehicle. It comes from years of seeing/servicing heavy service towing and recovery trucks being put through the ringer with no ill effects of a drop-in liner. Heavy chain, truck parts, engines, transmissions, repeatedly getting put into the back of these trucks never having to worry about something happening to the bed. I've seen F-250's rear ended, destroying the bed, taken the liner out and put it into the next truck with no ill effects. Do that with a spray liner.

Look, your truck is going to rust. But why spend twice as much on a spray liner that will require repair down the road when you could spent 150.00 or so on a quality, non-slip drop-in and not worry about the quality of installation?You can't see every imperfection in your spray liner. If something should slice or cut the spray liner it will trap moisture, causing your scuffed bed to rust. A drop in will slowly over time scuff a bed but allows for ventilation to evaporate said moisture.

To me, just doesn't make sense. Yeah it looks cool but it bears no functional advantage over a drop in during the duration of ownership. :waving

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
Well I speak from personal experience. I have seen the beating Line-X takes up close. My equipement is being seen on a daily basis. The line-X looks cleaner and is more durable than any bed liner I have ever seen. Ever see one of those bed liners all twisted up looking like it is about to just pop right out of a pick up bed?

When I sold my 01 2500HD with the Line-X the guy comment about what great shape the bed was in. That was after three snow seasons, and four lawn seasons. I realize you know the towing and recovery industry but you should see what a landscape crew will do to a truck in just a few days much less a few seasons. I could not say I have heard the same nor have I seen the same results from a bed liner.

Furthermore, I do not think anyone ever stated the Line-X would stop the bed from rusting. NOTHING WILL. You must not do much salt work out of a truck bed that only used a bed liner. We are not talking about the evaporation of residue from the road. I am talking about having a V box salt spreader lined with a smooth textured Line-X coating and the unit looked as good as the the I had it liner after seeing over 100tons of salt in one season. Can not say a bed liner would have done that.

What I am trying to say is if you have first hand experience those comment are worth to be heard. If you have never used Line-X than maybe you should avoid telling us all how bad it is and just let us know how strongly you fell about the bed liner you want to pay $150.00 for and used for the next 20 years.

Thanks and nice meeting you too.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
4evergreenlawns said:
That is alot being said from a guy plowing with a 7.6 blade anf a 1/2ton truck. Bad Luck.
Oh great Ron found someone else to pick on, I guess this is a typical response.
Todd

1 - 20 of 41 Posts