Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it's not a a sidewalk machine... yet, but it's giving me fits none the less.

I ran it out of gas a few weeks ago and parked it sputtering. Added a little fuel last week and rode for an hour or so, parked it sputtering again. Well, now the machine won't start, not getting fuel. I got the line off the carb, back to the filter (only 3" or so from the carb) and that is all clear. Could it be frozen? Is there any particular part on these fuel systems that is unusually problematic? The part that is really giving me fits is that my battery is weak... so let's just suffice it to say that turning over ta 500 4-stroke by hand is NO FUN! Just when you get ready to really crank on it, the compression release doesn't release and the stupid thing rips the cord from your hand on the compression stroke.:headwall

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
610 Posts
if you remove the line off the carb and you have flow
i would think the float may be stuck
there is a drain screw on the carb at the bottom
open it see if you get flow also tap the carb see if you can loosen whatever is stuck
my battery on my quad gives me problems when its cold
i jump it with my truck just make sure the truck isnt run

will it start with starting fluid
when was the plug replaced
sent my guy out to do a loading dock
wouldnt start sparkplug was bad
even though we ran it an hour before
the plug had no spark
john

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It pops off when I prime the carb w/ gas, and will run on the choke for a little bit, but it just uses the fuel I gave it. I noticed today there are 2 lines to the carb. I pulled the right side line and blew through the filter last night- clean, but no fuel in the line. I can't get to the other line without ALOT of disassembly. I asked myself "what would my grandpa do?" so I tapped on everything that might be fuel-related.

Today, in attempting to remove the tank-to-pet**** line, I broke the plastic fitting on the back of the pet****... well, there's fuel in the tank and the line is flowing- no doubt about that!

Between the pet**** and the carb... is this a fuel pump? Could it be messing up? I don't know anything about these little things, but it's really the only thing left between the tank and carb that might be holding the fuel back.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I believe there is no pump just gravity feed.I would disassembly the carb and clean it throughly.When you have the tank and fender off why not take the time to check the clearance on the valves and inspect everything.I have two 98 grizzlys with plows on them and they sure beat running a blower or shovel.If you need help I know of a few sites with lots of info on repair and modifications.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Make sure that it is not cloged in the tank and then make sure the tank is not vapor locking and the next step would be take apart the carb and also try this site www.highlifter.com and go under mudhole then forums and theres a section for polaris, hope this helps. One more thing make sure your intake boot is not torn or loose!

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
They do use a fuel pump.It sounds like the pump may be bad.You could try bypassing it and try using gravity feed,it may at least get it running for now.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I stand corrected I called a buddy that works in a bike shop there is a pump.I still would disassembly and clean the carb throughly.If you ran it low you might have sucked some junk into it.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You guys are the best- no matter what anyone else says!! Doin' the family thing today, maybe I'll get time to tinker with it tomorrow. I'll be sure to let you know what I find out!
-Derek

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Turns out I sucked up junk, but it didn't get past the fuel pump. One of the check valves in the pump was stuck open with a little chunk of crud. Put in a new diaphram and gasket set. UP AND RUNNING!! Thanks, guys- especially Crafty for that highlifter forum... good stuff over there, too.
-Derek

·
Registered
799 Posts
Youre welcome glad I could help, thats what this site is about helping each other out. Its sad but this day and age there isnt much of that anymore.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts