Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I got my k30, the push beam looked a little twisted, the pin on the dirvers side sits low in the hole, on passenger it sat higher. Now, after emoving the plow, the push beam sprung up on the passenger side to where the pin will not go through the hole in the plow frame, it sits about 1/2" from center. I found that someone had welded in 1/2" bolts which allowed the beam to float alot, I cut those out and installed the require 5/8" Grade 8's, and I had the holes all lined up, but after pushing one storm, it's back to twisted. So I need a new striaght one. Anyone have a source online, since the local guys look at me like I have 2 heads. It's an 86 truck with conventional mount, 9' HD plow.

thanks

·
Registered
59 Posts
What is the length of your push beam? I have one that I came with a spare a-frame. I think it's from an early 80s half-ton GM. Don't know if they're the same. You can have it for $10 if you want.

I could take a digital photo with ruler on the beam to show you what I have. I'll do it after dinner and post back.

Jeff Pierce

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
GeoffD said:
Don't use grade 8 bolts, use grade 5. The bolts are the weak link to preven the push beam from twisting.

Geoff
oops, I think I'll change those out first chance...thanks.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
tvpierce said:
What is the length of your push beam? I have one that I came with a spare a-frame. I think it's from an early 80s half-ton GM. Don't know if they're the same. You can have it for $10 if you want.

I could take a digital photo with ruler on the beam to show you what I have. I'll do it after dinner and post back.

Jeff Pierce
a little dark out now, I'll have to measure it in the morning. If you can post the picture, mush thanks!

·
Registered
73 Posts
every Fisher that comes in our shop is twisted and a pain to fet on and off!!

·
Registered
668 Posts
AHA, so Fishers do have a flaw, or weakness!:)

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
windmill said:
AHA, so Fishers do have a flaw, or weakness!:)
yup they do but so do most of the differnt plows each one has there one or two flaws... of course then theres meyers plows they have 100 or 200 flaws... lol:D

·
Registered
668 Posts
of course then theres meyers plows they have 100 or 200 flaws
LMAO Adams Plowing, touche I would have to say, but in defense I would also have to say that we "M" owners are artists at snowplowing as some of us are capable of doing a superb job of snow management while working around those "flaws". I'm thinking that this then puts us in the upper echelon of plowers due to our fabulous abilities. (I've been reading WAY to many of somebodies posts!:( )

·
Registered
59 Posts
Here's the photo of the spare push beam I have -- it's perfectly straight. The pins don't go with it -- I'm keeping them as spares.
It measures 26 7/8" long (as you'll see in the next photo)

Jeff Pierce

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
Here's the close up of the measurement. Where would the part # be on it?

jp

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
tvpierce said:
Here's the close up of the measurement. Where would the part # be on it?

jp
upon second look, without measuring, I know it won't fit.

the push beam on mine has the slots for the plow all the way at the end of the plow, and the pins extending into the plow frame beyond the push beam. Thanks for your troubles anyways though..it was appreciated.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Glad to help. Good luck with your search.

jp

·
Registered
87 Posts
I installed my very worn 7.5 two weeks ago, and noticed that the push beam fits very loosely because of lotsa' use. I installed gr. 5 bolts w/ nylock nuts. Now I've noticed other Fishers with castelated nuts. What's the implication of the worn "slots" in the frame brackets? Why is the push beam not rigidly mounted? How do I set up the plow shoes? They're still in the box of junk... How fussy are the rams with rust pits, I'll be sanding the worst off with emery cloth and a little oil. Am I correct that the seals are actually packing?:confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
87 Posts
tvpierce said:
Here's the photo of the spare push beam I have -- it's perfectly straight. The pins don't go with it -- I'm keeping them as spares.

Jeff Pierce
Maybe I should check mine for same(ness). Wouldn't it be easier to operate if the grab "handles" were on the outside? I've yet to install mine for the first time, but I bet this argument goes way back...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Andrew,

The handles are on the inside so that you pull them, and rotate them allowing the handle to hit the inner-most steel tab, which holds the pin "open". That way you don't need to pull them both at the same time -- you do one, then the other. Additionally, when you go to re-mount the plow, the pins are in the "open" position. So if you aim it right, you drive up to the plow till the pushbeam hits the a-frame, you get out, release the pins, and your plow is mounted.

I always keep a 4 foot piece of 2x4 with the plow to use as a lever to lift & jiggle the a-frame a little if necessary.

Jeff Pierce

1 - 19 of 19 Posts