Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just started getting snow 2 weeks ago and are already 1/2 way to our seasonal average!omg 60+ inches already. Well that was in Rochester but we are not far behind. I guess my predection for a mild winter was a bit far off, I originally thought it was gonna be a tuff one again but changed my mind. Never again am I having second thoughts lol.:D

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I thought this would be a mild winter as well, because the above average needs to be made up sooner or later. But we are again over the seasonal average for snow fall. I guess Mother Nature will make up for it next year?

I'll take it though :cash :grinz

·
Registered
434 Posts
No matter what we do here in the midwest(Chicago), the snow never seems to come. I would bet money that we dont see anouther plowable event until March/April. Every stoms breaks up once it gets to our area, then regroups, to hit the east.

This year is over as far as I am concerned. The weather pattern, is just not condusive of snow for our area. As long as we get 10 or so more saltings in, I am fine with not plowing.

I think our total accumulation for the season is 6". Avr is 46"

Chuck B.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Hey Chuck what is that average based on ? Must be the last ten years? I think the last 2 seasons totaled less then 46.
I hate to say your right about march being the next push but my gut tells me the same thing. Our big storms do seem to breakup and go south or fizzle out and then hammer ne indiana or michigan. Bummer for us
Todd

·
Registered
434 Posts
That avr.(46") is over the last 25-50-100 years. If you break it down, using any of the listed # of years, it comes out to around 46".

I think the biggest difference in our area, with snow, is how long it lasts nowadays. Used to be on the ground by Newyears(at the latest), and stay well through March! The last 10 years or so, we have had some good sized storms and heavy month snows. Only to see warm temps melt it in a couple of days.

I remember the 21" storm we got 5 years ago. It snowed two or three times in the following week for a total of like 36". Two weeks later, Late Jan, there was no snow on the ground.

Chuck B.

·
Registered
309 Posts
You guys could still get some late season snows. Heck I do not write off the plowing till March 15th.

So far this year started out slow, but has been non stop in Jan. Although officially we have had less than 28" in Jan we have plowed 8 times. Now today through Thurs night a winter storm warning for up to 8" of snow.:burnout

·
Registered
196 Posts
GreenQuest Lawn said:
You guys could still get some late season snows. Heck I do not write off the plowing till March 15th.

So far this year started out slow, but has been non stop in Jan. Although officially we have had less than 28" in Jan we have plowed 8 times. Now today through Thurs night a winter storm warning for up to 8" of snow.:burnout
Wow, I live in Michigan also, and this winter has been....well....let's say it "hasn't been". 8" forecasted? Must be nice, as I've had TWO plowable events this year, and the snow more or less melted within 2 days either way.

Calling for a "possible" inch or so this week, but I doubt it, as the weather forecasters have yet to be right this year (or last).

:headwall :headwall :headwall
I'm about to start taking donations to help pay for my new plow....since I can't really plow the salt very well. LOL

·
Registered
866 Posts
Geez- I feel bad now- I've been out plowing over 25 times on my commercial accounts and close to that on my residential accounts!

But- living in a lake effect zone- where we have already gotten over 100" so far helps. Now if I could only get newer equipment, and less breakdowns I'd be set- but this is a new year, and leading up to a new season- my second commercial plowing, so those things will come!

Bill

·
Registered
309 Posts
D&T Repair said:
Wow, I live in Michigan also, and this winter has been....well....let's say it "hasn't been". 8" forecasted? Must be nice, as I've had TWO plowable events this year, and the snow more or less melted within 2 days either way.

Calling for a "possible" inch or so this week, but I doubt it, as the weather forecasters have yet to be right this year (or last).

I'm about to start taking donations to help pay for my new plow....since I can't really plow the salt very well. LOL
Sorry to hear that. Over here in Muskegon we average 98" per year, Of course we have not hit that in two years. According to the weather man this weather pattern looks to stay the same for a few more weeks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts