Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this happened in a town pretty close to me...made me think of ya'll. please be safe (defensively) when driving, lord knows PA drivers dont know how to!

9:16 p.m. EST December 15, 2003 - Five people were killed and three others injured when their Jeep Grand Cherokee struck a snowplow in Lancaster County Sunday

The accident happened Sunday morning on Route 322 in Caernarvon Township, near the Chester County line.

State police said the Jeep driver apparently lost control on the ice and snow, crossed the centerline and struck the oncoming plow.

"Our driver told us he had seen the vehicle coming about 100 yards away, and realizing it was out of control, he attempted to steer to the right and get out of the way to the shoulder, but was still struck," said Charlie Enoch, Pennsylvania Department of Transportation district manager. "It's a tragedy. He was the first one to witness being right on site. (It's a) tough thing to deal with."

Enoch said that portion of Route 322 was treated with anti-skid material two times before the accident.

"I just happened to be looking out the window and saw this vehicle go down the hill way too fast for road conditions like that and I said to my daughter, 'That car's going way too fast. They aren't going to be able to stop,'" neighbor Shirley Siedof said.

"I ran over to the Jeep and saw there was a lot of people hurt and pretty much helped get the people who were still moving out of the way and off to the side of the road," neighbor Cliff Froggatt said.

All of the deceased and injured were in the Jeep.

Three other people in the Jeep were injured.
Beiler (jeep occupant)says he doesn't remember the moments just before the crash. He said his group was on their way back from eating breakfast at a restaurant when the crash occurred.

A third vehicle rear-ended the snowplow. Neither that driver nor the snowplow driver was seriously hurt.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Yeah, not saying that this "SUV driver" fits the stereotype, but they were speeding on snow/ice, they took the risk.

Either way it's too bad, I think everyone should witness a crash like this in person, especially SUV drivers so they don't think they're safer than everyone else on the road.

·
Registered
168 Posts
This is a sad story, but it reminds me of how suv or 4x4 drivers are here. They seem to think that just because they can "GO" much easier in the slick stuff they must be able to "STOP" and "DRIVE" much better too. Almost like they are not effected by the conditions.

Too many have to learn the hard way.

I always get a kick when they come flying by me on a side road (with me taking my time to be safe) and then come over a rise and there they are sideways in the ditch. Makes it even better when they try to flag me down to pull them out. Funny thing is, my truck always seems to loose its ability to stop at those momments. :D

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
HHHMMM eight (8) people in a Jeep Grand Cherokee. At best that is a 5 passenger vehicle. Overloaded, happy and full of lets see how kewl I can drive my friends around in the snow.

Truly a waste of life. The poor plow driver can not be doing too well either. This incident is a shame.

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
It really to bad many dont truly understand 4x4 . THey fly along while on the phone

·
Registered
188 Posts
When will people understand that 4 wheel drive does not make you invincible?

·
Registered
18 Posts
4evergreenlawns said:
HHHMMM eight (8) people in a Jeep Grand Cherokee. At best that is a 5 passenger vehicle.
Umm, yeah - that doesn't sound right huh?! 8 ppl and only seat belts for 5...

·
Registered
168 Posts
99TACX said:
Umm, yeah - that doesn't sound right huh?! 8 ppl and only seat belts for 5...
Yeah I know. Heck around here that would pass for at least a 14 passenger ******* mobile....LOL! :D

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
One day people will realize although ya have 4wd ya still only got 4 brakes just like everyone else... just cause ya can go doesnt mean ya can stop....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts