Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are a couple picks of my 1961 Gravely model LI with the MA210 26 inch snowblower attachment. Yes this will throw snow 50 feet plus Look at the picks on how high the snow is going BTW i'm 5'10"

Attachments

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok let's do it!!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Another

Attachments

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok here we go!!

Attachments

·
Registered
131 Posts
We have an old mid 70's Gravely 12 Professional. What a monster! Used it as a backup last year. Needs a new little needle valve part for the carb this year and I haven't been able to track it down.

Pete

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Antram Enterprises has what you need they stock alot of old gravely parts 1-800-324-6842 BTW they are in PA.

·
Registered
101 Posts
We use two Gravelys alongside our Walkers. Excellent machines. We bought them primarily for the rotary brooms, but they are great in the snow too!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Not to be a pain or anything but to be fair;
A) there is only 3" of snow their.
B) it looks like the chute is pointing straight up.

Hey, now I like old stuff too. Check out my Gilson Twins from 1970.
Lots of Cast Iron parts, greasable bearings, and a gearbox so nothing slips! Excellent Gilson site here http://home.gwi.net/~spectrum/snowblower.html

Attachments

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
asnowsquall said:
Not to be a pain or anything but to be fair;
A) there is only 3" of snow their.
B) it looks like the chute is pointing straight up.

Hey, now I like old stuff too. Check out my Gilson Twins from 1970.
Lots of Cast Iron parts, greasable bearings, and a gearbox so nothing slips! Excellent Gilson site here http://home.gwi.net/~spectrum/snowblower.html
Will that Giilson Throw snow that high? Probabbly not. And the discharge chute is 6 inches diameter and the reel to fan ratio is 1:8.25 BTW I have gone through snow over the the blower with that machine. Today I made a path out to the mailbox In which I live on a corner and went right through the 2 foot hardpack the town left there. Yes Jay I still have that other blower here

·
Registered
34 Posts
Before this turns into a "Chevy Ford thing", my chute is bigger than yours, let me say that the way this winter is starting off you will most likely need to shoot high to get it up over the banks! A weak point on my Gilson's is the old Briggs motor's are all aluminum. I've got a brand new Honda 9HP that I used a few times this fall on my Little Wonder leaf blower/loader. I can install/remove the motor in about 15 minutes and that piece of equipment only gets used for a short time in the spring and fall. I may stick the Honda on one of the Gilsons to use in the winter as backup. Any weak points on your old machines?

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There is only one weak point i can think of,The Weight, what you see in the pick is over 500 pounds!! It is a bear to turn in deep snow. But been 40 yrs and should be good for 40 more, since i rebuilt the engine this spring.And it will start almost every time on the first pull!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Wow that's as old as me. What kind of engine does it have.
I just pulled the head on one of my engines and there is enough slop that you can push the piston back on forth between the major and minor thrust sides! The funny thing is, the thing started 1st or second pull......... when cold. When hot it was finiky. For that blower I've got a really strong Briggs Industrial Plus which has the cast iron sleeve that I'm going to put on. The cool part is that the Short Block are pretty much identical, so what I want to attempt to do is use the old shrouding on the new block. It will look vintage, but have the cast iron cylinder.

One other disadvantage on mine us bascially no modern safety for the auger disengagment. I tengages like the old Ariens, right up near the chute. By the time you get to it, what ever made it in is destroyed. You have to be very careful around it, wouldn't want to slip walking around it. I may see if I can copy one of the newer machines safety setup. Doesn't look like an easy task.

Have a good day, and may your equipment run forever!
Dave
Let it snow Let it snow Let it snow

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The engine is Gravely's own make. It was virtually unchanged from mid 1930's to 1974! The motor is a low rpm high torque. High pressure lubrication. The rpm max is 2800. The motor sizes are 5hp, 6.6 what i have, and 7.6. Compared to today's engines they are about equal to an 11-13hp honda,torque wise.

·
Registered
34 Posts
How do you get the reel to fan ratio? Sounds like you have a nice engine, must have cast iron cylinder wall. Check out some of my dimensions. Notice how I messed up a pulley, lucky for me I can stick get one.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I got the reel to fan ratio in an old 1960's gravely brouchere. Looks like the blower you have is quite the machine also. Yes I have a cast iron cylinder jug

·
Registered
977 Posts
Walt,

You have inspired me to get a picture of mine and my dad's 12hp Gravely 566. Stay tuned for a picture. I will try to sneak over to the Estate that my Dad works on were it is and snap one today. Maybe if there is some snow left after the warm day and rain I can get an action shot.

Jeff

1 - 20 of 28 Posts