Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone use snow melters to cut down on their trucking costs?
http://www.snowmelter.com/

I also heard of a guy from Toronto who was using some sort of portable unit to melt the snow in residential drives. Has anyone else heard of this?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Nyc has some pretty big ones they use when it snows there.Dont know where to get any pics of them though.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I was thinking about buying one like in the first picture. But I did hear that they are very expensive to operate. They use like a couple hundred gallons of fuel an hour.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Their site mentions that you can save 50% on removal trucking costs but it would be interesting to see somebody's real numbers.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Useing there numbers at 60 ton/hr if you were to rise the temp 19 deg to melt the snow it would burn 17gal of #2 oil an hour

·
Registered
37 Posts
They look like they would work well in the large centers when they play with huge budgets but I think you would have to move a $#$% load of snow to make it cost effective.
Boy would there be a mess if you used a melter up here the last few days. You would literally freeze your assets down

·
Registered
719 Posts
They burn somewhere closer to 30-40 gals /hour they are VERY expensive ( about 1/4 mil and up). The small portable unit is about 8K /month to lease for the winter, but if you have a lot of snow to move, or no place to put it then they can be cost effective.

Bill

·
Registered
620 Posts
And regardless of the operating costs, you have to have a place for all the water to drain to. Cities with municipal storm drains might not have a problem, but where would all the water go in a large rural parking lot? Seems like you would make a big skateing rink.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts