Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put this question on the urethane post... perhaps it was the wrong place to ask.

I just swapped out three V plows with the urethane edge/catcher kits for Boss V blades. Two of the plows went out the other night with our first snow fall. Niether plow came back with the snow catchers?

I'd like to know why they ripped off. The lower bolt on the cathers both sheared off while the upper bolt was still in tact and on the one catcher, still holding onto a piece of urethane. The bolts were the original OEM bolts - grade 5 I believe. The catchers I just bought to replace them come with grade 8 bolts.

Does the urethane edge give a little thus causing more exposure to the catcher causing it to rip off? The replacement OEM type catcher which is a rubber type compound seems a little more flexible and thinner than the urethane catchers. Could it be that the U cather does not flex enough?

When you reuse a bolt, does it get weakened from the impact wrench? Did I weaken the bolt? In retrospect would new hardware have prevented this?

If it was one truck I'd scratch my head and wonder what the operator hit. This was on two different trucks, two drivers, one commercial and one residential route. Both on the same night. I tend then to think it's the equipment not the operator.

I still have the third plow with the urethane catcher that we did not use and I'd like to do something if at all possible to keep this from happening to that truck. When trying to drill out and remove the bolts from the center pin we broke off two easy outs. I replaced the center pins since they are only about $25.00 each. Easier than drilling/retapping for the moment. Rather not have to do this on the third truck if I can avoid not loosing the catcher.

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
Sounds like a great question for Dino. He seems to be the know all when it comes to any U edge problem. Look him up I am sure he would help you out.

·
Registered
60 Posts
With the Boss center snow catcher, you need to use the center snow shoe to take some of the stress off of the catcher. The hoof is designed to glide across the pavement and not to bear the wieght of the plow. Thats my answer and my dealer is sticking to it(LOL). Personally, I've run mine with and without the shoes. I think it plows better with the wing shoes up not (just a little off the pavement) and the center shoe just barely touching the pavement to support the middle.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interesting thought about the shoes. I took them off last year with the steel cutting edge and OEM catcher. We didn't have a problem. They were off with the urethane edge installed. Perhaps with the urethane I have to run with the shoes. But it still begs the question "why"? Is it because the urethane edge is softer exposing the catcher more? Or because the U catcher doesn't give as much as the rubber OEM catcher?

·
Registered
66 Posts
We buy the snow catcher ("boot") kits from boss. Which comes with the two bolts (with a thread locking paste) and a steel reinforcing plate. We then add lock tight to both bolts. After doing this we have not lost a boot.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tom - I did use the steel plate and the overhand is preset with the holes that come predrilled. It is a little more than 1.5". It is set to match the catcher height. I'd put it at about a 2" overhang, but I will have to measure to confirm exactly.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I personally think the predrilled holes, if drilled the same way mine were, are not correct. I think they are standard oem location, and hang too low. I drilled another set 1.5 inches below the predrilled ones, and that put the edge at the height I prefer, with approx 1.5-1.75 inches hanging below the moldboard. However, the oem size snow catcher does not work then, it needs to be trimmed 1.5 inches also.

I think that the majority of the weight of the plow needs to be off the snow catcher, whether you have rubber oem or urethane, steel edges or urethane. If much weight at all is on the center, they just rip right off. I had the same problem with the OEM as you are with these new ones. That is why I asked about the center cast iron shoe, since that would help support the weight.

·
Registered
140 Posts
After discussing this again with MPT, I still do not have a great answer on how to avoid. They are going to work out in the off season some possible solutions on clearing that center area without the current snow catcher, but with a completely new design.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Well, you guys are having problems too? Yeah, i got a urethane center shoe from ROOSTER (Rick Hinnrichs, you know him, Tom) I put it on my 9'2" Boss V. We had some ice and slush on a lot that i ran the plow through, only about 5 ft, and it popped off. I put the shoe back on with extra oversized-washers on both sides, and still was able to (by hand) yank the shoe off by pushing down and back. Simulating forward motion of the plow. I aggree what you said J&J, I think running with that center steel mushroom may lessen the weight in the center of the plow. But still, what happens if you catch the edge of a manhole cover? The tip of the u-shoe catches b4 the steel shoe glides over? You are still going to have a problem. There is nothing that p***** me off more during a snow storm in the middle of the night than to have a those mohawks running down the middle of the lot. Causing you to have to go scoop position back over the damn LOT!!:headwall Also, I am driving the loader. Another driver is going to be using the 550. Am i gonna hafta go get another 1" thick rubber pad to install in-between the cutting edges? I had something rigged up b4 that worked very well!:D I drilled into the cutting edge on both sides of the blade. Then i bolted a 1 1/2" piece of rubber on both sides of the cutting edge, it touched in the center but was 2 pieces. Then, I took another piece of stiff rubber and measured for when the plow was in V position and bolted it to the rubber on either side so it would flex the correct way when in straigh, V or scoop. This worked very good! Well, it did untill i had to replace the cutting edge at the end of the season and then didn't put it back on because i figured I'd have the center shoe that would work great. So, we'll see how it goes when we get snow next week!!!:cash Jon

·
Registered
60 Posts
bossfan,

On our center shoes behind the hoof, I leave them just a hair lower than the hoof, can't even tell its lower. I've only lost one catcher and that was stupidity on my part - forgot to tighten the bolt :confused: As far as the u-edge or hoof is concerned, I would venture to guess the u-edge has give which puts more pressure on the catcher, which in turn puts more stress on an already weak point. After twisting a wing(bent it real good- broke welds) on poor asphalt last year, all of the shoes went back on, nothing worse than having one wing ride up 1/2" higher than it should and losing productivity.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts