Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My plow has been a little slow lately and I notice quite a draw on the battery when angling or lifting it to the point that the lights dim and the truck starts to sputter. But the battery power comes right back and the truck never has trouble starting, so I ruled out a bad alternator and started checking connections. I noticed last night that the positive lead to the pump was a little loose, so I did decided to tighten it. Well of course, I snapped the bolt/post from the pump off. I'm not very mechanically inclined, but I need my truck running since we've already picked up 4+ feet of snow in the last month and it doesn't seem to be slowing down. I tried taking the top of the pump off to see if I could get at it, but I could only get one of the long (6") bolts out. Is this even the right way to get at it? Is this an easy fix, or should I just have the local garage deal with it?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
You will probabbly have to replace the motor now, or find an electrical repair shop who can repair it. What brand pump?

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Find an auto electric store near you,they can replace the post,and freshen the brushes if needed.If your lucky they will do it same day.I used to get my fishers motors gone thru every few seasons,because I stored them outside,and eventually water would get in.

·
Registered
850 Posts
"6" long bolts" I'm guessing this is a Meyer plow ?

With what you said about the plow slowing down and drawing alot of power, I would replace the motor. You will have to anyway as you broke off the positive stud. Most likely the other bolt will snap off and theres a real good possibilty that the bottom cup of the motor will be stuck to the pump and thats a real pain to get off when it happens.

I would take it in to get fixed asap.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the quick responses. After talking to a couple of the guys here at work, that's exactly what they suggested, either an electrical repair shop or a new motor. I've priced a couple out for around $100.

BTW, it's a Fisher Speedcast.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts