Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How well do these Salters work ? Will they perform like Gas salters or do they have a hard time with breaking clumps ?

I think the Plastic V box from SnowEx would be something to stay away from until they get it 100% fixed.

In any case the DownEasntner i would have to Special Order throu a dealer here because they only stock the Gas units from them.

·
Banned
1,973 Posts
As far as the spreader working like a gas breaking up clumps??

Do you put clumps of salt in your spreader?

Top screen minimises the clumps, but it can still freeze up in your box.

The electric models should perform just as well as gas, only problem you have will be start up of the motor, which would equil clutch engaugment of the gas.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lawngodfather said:
As far as the spreader working like a gas breaking up clumps??
Do you put clumps of salt in your spreader?
No, no I don’t. Even if I owned one personally I wouldn’t but some could get by couldn’t they? Shouldn’t but could.

The Electric's don’t spread as fast as the Gas models do they? Is the Technology there that these Electric salters work just as good as Gas?

I see you still Beleive in Gas Lawngodfather. Honda Engine or Briggs and or Techumseh ?

·
Banned
1,973 Posts
Seems to me, the Briggs last the longest from what other guys have around me.

I have Tech and Honda. So far same problems with both, starters get locked up, a little P&B a twist of a screwdriver and problem solved till the next time.

From what I can tell, it is happening from the clean up of the spreader, this year I will spray P&B in there once it has dried some to see if that helps any.

I have not used any electric spreader, but the technology has got to be there. From what I can tell, it's getting the motor started would be the only main flaw, same as in my starter motors. The motor undergoes quite a load starting.

I will be seeing how central hydraulics do also.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Get a electric Smith Sander, I just bought one for this year. I used to have a gas Air Flow, nothing but a pain!! the Stainless Steel Smith sander has a strong motor and stainless steel chain. I just used it for this storm we are having, its soo quit and spreads nice and smooth. No worry about spark plugs, changing oil or gas, noise, switches going bad, clutches not working. Its just one switch thats it!!! on and off.I do not know how many times i had a full load of salt/sand and my airflow would not run. I really like my Smith sander just my opion ::D

·
Banned
1,973 Posts
Well that falls on how well you maintained your spreader.

Did you do pre maint to it? Mine get checker before they got out, right before salt gets dumped in it, and they don't get shut off till the salting is done. Only time they get shut off is if they run out of gas.

I find the starter locked up doing the pre-check. Only happened once on Tech last season, and on both durring the itial pre season check. I can go out to the truck now and crank her right up.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The guy i work for has a Monroe (looks old ) and i remember last year it was really cold out and he was fudgeing with the thing. I think the fuel froze in the carb, it had to be parked inside for a wile. Salter has a Briggs on it i looked at it this year. Everyone says Honda is the best in Gas.

Cant get Smith here only DownEastner. Maybe next year they will bring in the big Elec salters they have the small one that are under a yard.

What is P&B LawnGod ?

You run the salter all the time if your salting or not ?

·
Banned
1,973 Posts
P&B Penitrating Catalist...Similar to WD40 or Liquid Wrench, but this stuf rocks on rusty bolts. It gets them to loosen up a whole lot better than those other 2 do. I would of broken most of the bolts using those other 2.

Yeah leave it run, why shut it off for 5 min 10min? It will cool back down a whole lot faster than it warms up, that's bad for an engine. Also why chance not starting back up? My routes are all pretty close/tightnit. Not much drive time.

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
LGF,

What is locking up on the started?? This is the first time I have heard anyone say that, most ot the time I just hearof starting problem but never thought Iitwas the started. I just thought it was a crank but won't start thing. If it is after clean up do you think it is the bendix freezing up due to the fact it sits upright and not sideways? Come to think of it when I asked my looking Lawn and Power Equip. repair guy about the Honda's in V box he did say the only thing he has ever done on the Honda's in the winter was replace a few starters.

While just getting adjust to the new V box I did try the pull start just to see what that might be like and it crank up with just one pull. I would have considered leaving it running all the time, but there are 12 locations on the route for that truck, and not all get salt all the time, and there is some driving between, not to include the plow time.

Also just curious, what do you do for clean up after use? Have heard some guys do a spay down with trans oil or something like this. With box Line-Xed I think the only thing I should really need to lube is chain, conveyor, and grease fittings. After a good pressure wash of course. Am I missing somethning?

Thanx, Ron

·
Banned
1,973 Posts
The bendix moves, the starter locks up. I bet some brine get's in there. They are just bushings in there.

Carry some starting fluid, sure makes the pull cord starts much easier.

A cleaning is a good soap n power wash, then misted with diesel fuel.

·
GO GO Gadget Plow!
1,380 Posts
If you can get one, do your self a favor and get the smith. The unit is bullet proof. Has never let me down, and is quiet. As far as spreading as quick as gas units, just adjust the feed gate and you are all set.
IE: with a gas unit, fed door 1/3 open engine at speed equals electrin unit 2/3 open, motor at speed.
I havenever had an issue with material spread speeds.
I have had my smith for 6 seasons, it never needs maint besides geasing the bearings, and lubing the chains in the off season.
Dino

·
Registered
333 Posts
i have a downeaster 1.4 yard electric.i think the smith is just as good as the downeaster.there both built very well.only draw back i found was when you first turn on the spreader it draws alot of juice for a few seconds but that can be fixed by adding a second battery like i did to my truck

1 - 12 of 12 Posts