Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK here is a head scratcher- new style all electric pump on an old style plow. Worked great for 2 years. Now it angles great, and goes part way up great. It is that last 2inches of lift. It creaks and slows down like it is laboring those last inches. I put a new motor on. Works a bit better but still is slow at the end and still creaks. Goes down nicely. Not too fast, not too slow. Fluid was changed at first of season.
Ideas??? :huh

·
Registered
908 Posts
The packing may be dry on the lift cylinder, try some wd40 on it. Did you check your filter last time you changed the motor? Check all battery connections also, may just need to clean up battery cable connections (including at the motor solenoid).

·
LetsTalkSnow.com - Travel & Bar Consultant
2,029 Posts
SZ.......Do you have a Ismark elec/hyd. pump?
Cable operated ? If so.............
Mine did the same thing.....I changed the motors
same deal............

Took it to the shop...It turned out to be the plastic
piston in the case was gummed up with crud........

You will see on the front and back on the left side
front of the case a big acorn nut..usually on both
side of the case.
There is a plastic plunger inside that moves back and
forth. I was told this controls the lift and it wasn't moving
all the way............geo

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fluid level is fine. I will try the WD40 on the packing seal. Cleaned and checked all electrical connections. This is the electric solenoid controlled pump, not the cable pump. thanks anyway Geo. I lost my manual and don't remember how to do the quill adjustment. Mike, can you describe??

·
LetsTalkSnow.com - Travel & Bar Consultant
2,029 Posts
SZ.......Hey do a search.......There is a complete Western
troubleshooting guide link posted here somewhere !

If I find it will post..........geo

EDIT: The complete Western troubleshooting guide manual is posted at "the other site"

You can download and print it from over there !

·
Registered
1,440 Posts

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Sure Ill explain, the best I can. The quill is adjustable so you can get the plow to drop as hard and fast or as soft and slow as you want it to. The more you turn it in, clockwise, the slower it will drop making a soft contact with the ground. The more you turn it out, counter-clockwise, the faster it will drop making it slam the ground, which is not needed in my oppinion. IF you adjust it IN too far, it will for sure affect your raise speed and cause slow raises. Find the quill adjustment screw and back it out a full turn and try raising and lowering the plow, and see if it helps any at all. Standing in front of the plow, facing the truck, the screw you are looking for is directly on top of the red painted valve block, the square looking thing. The screw takes a flathead screwdriver, just so you know when you find the correct one. Its directly on top, pretty small screw. Give it a shot. Hope I helped. Mike :)

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Mike. I will do it this afternoon. Thanks bowtie for the link. I will download that after hours at my office where I have a high speed drop. I will post results tomorrow. Thanks again guys... scott

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mike,
I tried wd40 on the ram. no real change. My quill screw seems stuck, so I have to buy a larger screwdriver with a wrench fitting on it. (ala Snap-On) Hope to do that tomorrow after plowing. since it still functions and the left-right is normal, I kinda moved it down the priority till after the holidays. Well, that is now. Will try the quill with new screwdriver tomorrow. Thanks for your help. ;)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Did we find a definite fix to this condition? We have a truck that was brought to us, and one of the issues the owner expressed to us, was that his plow was doing the same thing. Mine does that a bit, when I have the Pro Wings on, but I never gave it much thought, as it was lifting that much more weight.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I tweaked the quill adjustment and re-soaked the top seal with WD40. It seems better now. No noise, and a tad faster until the last inch or so.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
345 Posts
You might want to check the filter in the pump as well, if you haven't already.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am pulling this truck back to backup status. I will pull the motor and flush the system & check the screen at the next warmup.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts